Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Cracking pic of the Hallett & Silbermann Volvo F86 draw-bar ! :smiley:

Are they still going ■■?

I’m really enjoying your recent stashes of pics, Bubbs! That bottom photo of the Beaver artic looks as if it’s pulling a 10m French tilt - either on traction or channel-hopping. Cheers, Robert

Chris Webb:

bubbleman:
Hello again,more old lorries lads :smiley: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Nice photos Bubbs.
I would say that the Gulf Oil Octopus was one of Hipwood and Grundys from Farnworth,Lancs,on contract.

Aye Chris and it is a single drive axle as well ! I’ve never seen a single drive LAD Octopus they were either heavy duty Leyland double drive or the lighter ones with the 600 engine had the double drive Albion back end ! Summat new every day eh! Cheers Dennis.

ERF-NGC-European:
I’m really enjoying your recent stashes of pics, Bubbs! That bottom photo of the Beaver artic looks as if it’s pulling a 10m French tilt - either on traction or channel-hopping. Cheers, Robert

Hi again,Glad you’re enjoying the old pics Robert…that old Beaver looks real heavy on the pin and well down on its haunches,heres a question…those days palm couplings were the norm,were our palm couplings compatable with trailers fitted with “their” ones from overseas ?..Do trailers from the EEC for example still to this day have palm couplings,I occasionally pulled Norfolk Line tilts years ago and we had converters for the airlines and a back board for the back lights to hang on the rear with a long bit of wire which went all down the side of the trailer…you don’t see this any more…anyway heres a few old motors,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Chris Webb:

bubbleman:

Nice photos Bubbs.
I would say that the Gulf Oil Octopus was one of Hipwood and Grundys from Farnworth,Lancs,on contract.

My thoughts too Chris

bubbleman:

ERF-NGC-European:

Hi again,Glad you’re enjoying the old pics Robert…that old Beaver looks real heavy on the pin and well down on its haunches,heres a question…those days palm couplings were the norm,were our palm couplings compatable with trailers fitted with “their” ones from overseas ?..Do trailers from the EEC for example still to this day have palm couplings,I occasionally pulled Norfolk Line tilts years ago and we had converters for the airlines and a back board for the back lights to hang on the rear with a long bit of wire which went all down the side of the trailer…you don’t see this any more…anyway heres a few old motors,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

When I was doing dock traction I simply carried adaptors for the palm couplings and as long the connectors were in good condition I never had problems. IIRC most of the UK-based units on Breda Transport had permanent palm couplings. Those lighting boards were a pain and I was glad when everyone rationalised the rear lighting on trailers so that all you had to carry was a spare set of bulbs and lenses (yes, and gloves and screw-drivers and dozens of every size bulb you could think of; not to mention bolts and nails to stuff in the winding handle etc etc). Dock traction was a pain when you think back! Robert

Another one of Febry’s. :wink:

Nice pics Marcus :smiley:

I always love the old Febry’s photo’s. That '86 with the fold-flat trailer is a cracking shot. I would love to take that to work now… I used to love doing the bagged farm deliveries, then when empty put the sides up and load with wheat for whichever dock was in favour, tip, drop the sides and reload from BOCM Avonmouth with more farm deliveries… Happy days :smiley:

Can someone enlighten me about the Hallett Silbermann F86 outfit please?
I know there were peculiarities about the placing of the TIR plates. Something to do with the load being protected, not the lorry? Why has the outfit got TIR’s on the bumper, body immediately behind the cab and the trailer? It just seems a little odd to me… :neutral_face:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

bubbleman:

Nice photos Bubbs.

Aye Chris and it is a single drive axle as well ! I’ve never seen a single drive LAD Octopus they were either heavy duty Leyland double drive or the lighter ones with the 600 engine had the double drive Albion back end ! Summat new every day eh! Cheers Dennis.

It is a model type 24 O.14R Octopus, introduced in 1962 as a lightweight 8x2, slightly pre-dating the lightweight 8x4 model with Albion axles. The single drive version had non-reactive suspension, O.600 engine and either 5 or 6 speed gearbox. It was not rated for drawbar work and most of the ones built were tankers.

Piston broke:

I always love the old Febry’s photo’s. That '86 with the fold-flat trailer is a cracking shot. I would love to take that to work now… I used to love doing the bagged farm deliveries, then when empty put the sides up and load with wheat for whichever dock was in favour, tip, drop the sides and reload from BOCM Avonmouth with more farm deliveries… Happy days :smiley:

I know there were peculiarities about the placing of the TIR plates. Something to do with the load being protected, not the lorry? Why has the outfit got TIR’s on the bumper, body immediately behind the cab and the trailer? It just seems a little odd to me… :neutral_face:

The TIR plate was to be fitted onto the sealed load carrying unit so fitting one to the trailer would allow any rigid to tow it the Volvo would require one as it too is a load carrying unit being a rigid and I’d suggest (but open to correction by those who actually ran TIR at the time) the plate on the front of the body is the correct position.

The one on the front bumper is not required but makes a nice “badge of honour” :wink:

DEANB:
Cracking pic of the Hallett & Silbermann Volvo F86 draw-bar ! :smiley:

Are they still going ■■?

They still have a current website

hallettsilbermann.com/gallery/2016-2/

Piston broke:

There was a recent new thread about this recently. Here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=151953

Robert

Spud1960:

Piston broke:

The TIR plate was to be fitted onto the sealed load carrying unit so fitting one to the trailer would allow any rigid to tow it the Volvo would require one as it too is a load carrying unit being a rigid and I’d suggest (but open to correction by those who actually ran TIR at the time) the plate on the front of the body is the correct position.

The one on the front bumper is not required but makes a nice “badge of honour” :wink:

Thank you Spud :slight_smile:

I had a feeling that was the answer but it’s good to get it confirmed by someone who actually knows!! :smiley: :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:

Piston broke:

There was a recent new thread about this recently. Here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=151953

Robert

Thanks Robert :slight_smile:

The plates did seem to be the seventies version of the frilly curtains then - only sometimes though… :grimacing:

Hello again,firstly thanks to Dean for the Febrys ERF picture…well done for that and thanks to the lads for replying to Pauls (piston broke) question about the TIR plates…ok todays oldies :smiley: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hiya,
Bubbs the first pic of the Collinson’s motor they were a busy smallish outfit
not far from me at Chopwell they just seemed to vanish overnight.
thanks harry, long retired.

coomsey:
A fine looking motor, unusual for the fact it looks new something London brick n BRS motors never seem to.
Anyway does anyone know who made devised their brick crane? I ask cos just the once I started unloading at the same time as a London brick lorry, we both had 16 packs on n he left me for dead, I’d got 3 packs left by the time he was done. I had mid mount Hiab with forks, thought I was quick but he put me in my place good n proper. Only ever recall seeing them on L B lorries was there a patent thing going on or was I driving with my eyes shut yet again

Hi Coomsey, Truck magazine looked at the London Brick fleet in one of their ‘Truck in Service’ articles c1984-85 and I well recall the ‘Selfstak’ unloader being featured Perhaps someone could find this and post it? Afraid mine are buried in the attic…

Cheers,
Tony

harry_gill:
Hiya,

There was another picture of a Collinson F88 on here recently, I think it was blue /white with a flat trailer, obviously typical of the small general haulier of the time.

Mark R:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

There was another picture of a Collinson F88 on here recently, I think it was blue /white with a flat trailer, obviously typical of the small general haulier of the time.

Hiya,
I think most of Collinson’s fleet were f86s, your spot on with the livery.

GCR2ERF:

coomsey:
A fine looking motor, unusual for the fact it looks new something London brick n BRS motors never seem to.
Anyway does anyone know who made devised their brick crane? I ask cos just the once I started unloading at the same time as a London brick lorry, we both had 16 packs on n he left me for dead, I’d got 3 packs left by the time he was done. I had mid mount Hiab with forks, thought I was quick but he put me in my place good n proper. Only ever recall seeing them on L B lorries was there a patent thing going on or was I driving with my eyes shut yet again

Hi Coomsey, Truck magazine looked at the London Brick fleet in one of their ‘Truck in Service’ articles c1984-85 and I well recall the ‘Selfstak’ unloader being featured Perhaps someone could find this and post it? Afraid mine are buried in the attic…

Cheers,
Tony

Cheers Tony