Scanias, are they worth it?

last month i passed on a 2007 R620 with all the bells and whistles for 37k in a private buy, i,m starting to think i should have bought it (even just to sell on)

Smith bros have 8 or so r580’s and 620’s for sale on 12 plate, the advert was in yesterdays commercial motor, I rang today and the trucks have all done around 350000km’s and they want 87k, but think the lot are already sold, there is an answer to the op if ever there was one.

puntabrava:
Smith bros have 8 or so r580’s and 620’s for sale on 12 plate, the advert was in yesterdays commercial motor, I rang today and the trucks have all done around 350000km’s and they want 87k, but think the lot are already sold, there is an answer to the op if ever there was one.

as long as it’s a v8 then you can get good prices, non v8’s dont hold the money so well so am told

scotstrucker:

puntabrava:

as long as it’s a v8 then you can get good prices, non v8’s dont hold the money so well so am told

Dont sound as good either :wink:

puntabrava:

Don’t know what it says about Scania but if folk are using, most likely the bank’s funds, to bid up silly money for assets it probably means we’re on the cusp of another economic collapse.

Anyone get any prices for new scanias lately?

Never had anything to do with scanias other than buying a 145 of a customer which ended up with Darren from kelsa bars .also I wouldn’t let tipping gear sway you in to buying its easy to fit and need not be new either ,also now you don’t need to bother with such as the Dafs £2200 charge just for the software(which is what I was quoted by the firm that supplied the last crane I fitted ) for pto on the As tronic as it’s now achievable to have a new pump and pto supplied and fitted to a As tronic with a standard manual air button for £1700 .
[/quote]
Where can you get this done Dan?
Looking at putting tipping gear on my 2006 XF AS Tronic but like that the charge for the software for the pto is making it very expensive.

While we’re thinking about Scanias ( not something I do often) has anyone any experience of their rest cabs with the fold down bunk ?

We have 13 V8 Scania’s. Including 3 ltd edition. 1 x Blue Stream (Dutch equivalent of the Golden Griffin) (didn’t really like the Gold so went for this) and 2 Dark Diamonds. In my opinion they are more reliable. Last longer and hold there money well after 5 years. Not had a clutch or turbo go in any of the Scania’s on my fleet. We also have 8 DAF’s and 3 New FH4 Volvo’s. For fuel. The Volvo’s beat the Scania and the Scania beat the Daf. But our 620 euro 5 Scania’s all get 9mpg most weeks. Last year we sold a 2008 Daf and a 2008 V8 Scania. Both with all the toys. Got £16k for the Daf and £40k for the Scania.

WhiteWhiteWhite:
Last year we sold a 2008 Daf and a 2008 V8 Scania. Both with all the toys. Got £16k for the Daf and £40k for the Scania.

A respectable difference. Does it reflect the initial purchase prices and running costs?

WhiteWhiteWhite:
Last year we sold a 2008 Daf and a 2008 V8 Scania. Both with all the toys. Got £16k for the Daf and £40k for the Scania.

But what does that prove? If the DAF cost 65 k and the Scania 90 k, you haven’t saved at all, losing 50 k on the Scania and 49k on the DAF.

You may not share the original cost of the DAF and Scania in the first instance but it would be interesting to see how they fair ? And did you sell them back to the trade or Private?

Its said Scanias hold their value and hence why you pay extra but need to work out value cost to value sell ratio for any truck.

On another note, didn’t you have a Scania that went up in flames?

There was an article in Trucking a couple of months ago, same thing happened to an OD in Spain with his Scania,

Seems too much of a coincidence for it to happen twice.

does anybody know the guy ?

But when you see this, you can understand why!

I believe you are the only owner of one of these in the UK , Mr White, it will be a lucky driver to get this and hope they appreciate it!

Only 200 made I believe in the World.

Stunning!

May It serve you well.

chaversdad:
last month i passed on a 2007 R620 with all the bells and whistles for 37k in a private buy, i,m starting to think i should have bought it (even just to sell on)

You have another opportunity

moodyinternational.co.uk/Sales/Details/238

Looks like an ex Whites

it is an ex whites, just spoken to them about it :grimacing:

Mr White how well looked after is the 620 at moodys

Got 45k earlier in the year for an 08 plate 620 tag which cost 93k new. So over the 6 years it cost me 8k a year. Only routine parts and a hand control for the suspension on top of that. Got merc down the road from us with a big sign up advertising an Actros for £420 a week on lease so £60k plus for a 3 year lease and then you hand it back with nowt to show for it.
No brainer for me.

routier:

chaversdad:

You have another opportunity

moodyinternational.co.uk/Sales/Details/238

Looks like an ex Whites

Nah, put my sensible cap on and bought another Tgx, not as glamorous but it does the job

scanias, great looking trucks but so are nice Volvos, mercs, etc etc, its down to personel choice, some drivers say if you cut them in half it will say daf super space cab :smiley: :smiley: ,as far as fuel economy is concerned its down to individual drivers, I have always fancied a real nice topline, well I have been driving one recently loads of power, good on fuel, nice on the eye, but it has the most uncomfortable drivers seat ever, or is it just me, the seat is arched at the top making you sit forward, then your back aches,frigging nightmare, I think a Volvo is more comfy, but it was only the seat, ive been used to old erfs so what do I know :blush: :blush: :blush: ,

I think scania has really dropped the ball in the last decade - one of the first trucks I drove was a manual 144 460 with a million km on the clock, it was reliable, not thirsty on fuel and good to drive on crappy eastern european roads. fast forward 9 years and I’m driving a R560 that feels very underpowered, drinks fuel (and pig ■■■■) like it was going out of fashion and has all these stupid technological quirks - go into the corner too fast (or at least it thinks so) and it won’t accelerate! great when going up a 12% mountain with 30t of steel on your back…

milodon:
I think scania has really dropped the ball in the last decade - one of the first trucks I drove was a manual 144 460 with a million km on the clock, it was reliable, not thirsty on fuel and good to drive on crappy eastern european roads. fast forward 9 years and I’m driving a R560 that feels very underpowered, drinks fuel (and pig ■■■■) like it was going out of fashion and has all these stupid technological quirks - go into the corner too fast (or at least it thinks so) and it won’t accelerate! great when going up a 12% mountain with 30t of steel on your back…

10 years :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I think they dropped the ball with the 4 series :open_mouth:
An excellent engine, crap 12 speed manual box although better than the Volvo 12 speed, diabolical drivers seat and living space.

Isn’t the top half of the seat back adjustable by the way royhebb?
It used to be. You could drop the top half down to make a bed side table, for the front mounted top bed.

yes well when the last 3 series rolled off the line I was 11 so can’t really comment on the older models :laughing: