Saskatchewan the best / 'easiest' province for eventual PR?

Regarding a potential recce trip and seeing employers, what would they want to see from me, other than a simple A4 CV? Looking at 2 days Regina, 2 days Sasktoon.

a criminal record search ,just in case you cant run south, perhaps a a copy of your driving history (dvla)only if you have been a good boy though :laughing:
jimmy

foresttrucker:
Regarding a potential recce trip and seeing employers, what would they want to see from me, other than a simple A4 CV? Looking at 2 days Regina, 2 days Sasktoon.

References ?

Who am I missing?

-Saskatoon
Edge Transportation
Siemens
Timeline Logistic
Kindersley Transport

-Regina
DJ Knoll (White City)
Richards Transport
WestCan (50m W Regina)

Hi foresttrucker, what do you know about Richards Transport in Regina?

OP , if you’re in town you may as well see loblaws and trimac , gibsons at moose jaw too . Richards are mainly oversize , lots of training involved and your schedule often goes out of the window , saying that , it’s a family business and if you stick it out you’ll be rewarded .

I dealt with Richards a little, they seem a really nice bunch. Don’t know from a drivers point of view though.

OP , forgot to mention Celadon , formerly Yanke . Currently Saskatoon which they’re closing and moving to a new site on the GTH in Regina . Always been a big player on the PNP scheme .

Kind of got cold feet in the end about making such a commitment but the flights and so on were booked anyway so I toured Alberta & Saskatchewan to get a feel for the place.

I had heard that the prairies were grim but I wasn’t quite prepared for how bland the landscape (and lifestyle?) would be. One scenario might have been to start out around Saskatoon then move to Alberta for better hours/money, Calgary is definitely going places and has this sense of energy & wealth but the surroundings are soulless. The downtowns in all the cities I visited were so poor compared to a place like Portland or Vancouver. I know much time would be spent in the truck especially the first year and a bit yet you do need a break from that. The people were very nice, friendly and enterprising like Americans but with some British order.

It was interesting how many trucks were pulling double or triple trailers, I made it a little more than half. The facilities are really good.

I’ll give it some thought, just right now England doesn’t seem so bad by comparison, aside from the housing headache we have great options for recreation and travel. If I was older with a family I’d be more likely to give this part of Canada a go and make the sacrifice.

foresttrucker:
Kind of got cold feet in the end about making such a commitment but the flights and so on were booked anyway so I toured Alberta & Saskatchewan to get a feel for the place.

I had heard that the prairies were grim but I wasn’t quite prepared for how bland the landscape (and lifestyle?) would be. One scenario might have been to start out around Saskatoon then move to Alberta for better hours/money, Calgary is definitely going places and has this sense of energy & wealth but the surroundings are soulless. The downtowns in all the cities I visited were so poor compared to a place like Portland or Vancouver. I know much time would be spent in the truck especially the first year and a bit yet you do need a break from that. The people were very nice, friendly and enterprising like Americans but with some British order.

It was interesting how many trucks were pulling double or triple trailers, I made it a little more than half. The facilities are really good.

I’ll give it some thought, just right now England doesn’t seem so bad by comparison, aside from the housing headache we have great options for recreation and travel. If I was older with a family I’d be more likely to give this part of Canada a go and make the sacrifice.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Haha , were you and Terryx6 in the same country ? Two totally different opinions and priorities . Could rip your post to pieces but time doesn’t allow me , thumbs to twiddle etc :laughing:

flat to the mat:

foresttrucker:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Haha , were you and Terryx6 in the same country ? Two totally different opinions and priorities . Could rip your post to pieces but time doesn’t allow me , thumbs to twiddle etc :laughing:

I totally agree with foresttrucker, if you don’t get a feel for the place, don’t move there. After six years of Prairie living I can honestly say I wouldn’t recommend it to any of my friends :open_mouth:

Seriously, if you want a bit of life around you, moving into a Prairie town is the last thing you want to do :open_mouth:

Of course it all depends on what you want and what you’ve got from life, me I’m from London, so I have no problem with big city living, yeah the traffic can be a pain in the arse, but I’ll put up with that if there’s somewhere worth going at the end of the journey, much the same as I have done all my life.

Where I live now though, Deadsville with a capital D, full of ultra conservative religious Germans and Russians, trailer trash or Canadian rednecks and apart from a very select few, the more time I spend in the company of my fellow ex-pats, the more I realise the Germans, Russians, trailer trash and rednecks are not so bad after all :laughing:

Sure, there’s loads of things to do, hunting, fishing, get a Harley etc etc, but I don’t hunt, don’t fish and I wouldn’t be seen dead on a Harley, so they’re out for me. When I’m home I want to go out for a meal, can’t do that as contrary to popular belief I don’t eat fast food, oh we have a Boston Pizza, but the menu is crap, you can’t even get steak and chips ffs, we’ve got two chinkys and they’re ok, but both are on my boycott list as they’ve ■■■■■■ me off in the past, so they’re out. we have a bar, honestly that place is like the bar in Star Wars, every oddball from miles around goes there and it’s full of 18yr olds who get a couple of Bud lites down em and they want to fight the world, although in 6yrs I’ve only seen one punch thrown and that was a girl :laughing:

i have no desire to go back to England, but I get very homesick, going from one of the most vibrant cities in the world to a backwater Prairie Town is a huge leap and I definitely think my Canadian experience will be better if we move to one of the big cities and there are only four of them, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

So think long and hard before deciding to move to the Prairies, if you are used to big city convienience, you may find that it isn’t for you…

I’ll mull it over for a long while. I really want the opportunities of having a second passport, the UK attitude is “you get what you’re given”. I’ve always liked North America but I’ve been naive in my thinking so far. I can see many families are living well in western Canada even if I’m not enthused by the surroundings, each to his own.

No doubt you can live well, I had a bit of a chat with myself after my previous post and came to the conclusion that concentrating on the negative points is not the way to make anything work.

But, these are all things that need to be taken into consideration before making the move. I did too and even though I miss lot’s of things about “home” I still prefer living in Deadsville. Mostly because of the investment in my time I’ve made in living there for the past 6yrs.

If I was starting from scratch again (with the benefit of hindsight) I would start in one of the big cities and maybe move out to the boonies as I got older.

Have a read of the Daily Mail online , always a morale booster when homesick matey. Yeah I know most of it is bollox but it does re affirm the correct decision was made . Failing that , check the UK Prof Driver section on here and be thankful you left that behind .
Oh can I just mention my latest upper :laughing: '73 Gran Torino , 351 Cleveland with 4sp Hurst , only one ever built to this spec ie color trim options etc . Appeared on the drive yesterday and wife is almost coming to accept it already , :laughing: . Thankfully her mum is staying so she can’t appear to be too angry , perfect timing :wink:

I’m on me phone so economic with my typing :laughing: the point I was making or trying to to, was that we’ve all seen people come and go as they can’t settle, we have managed to do it. As I said I miss a lot of the ways of life back home, but most of the time it doesn’t bother me. After reading foresttrucker’s post it brought it to the surface. I think he’s made the right decision based on what I read in his post. The funny part of that is that a sensible reasoning like that would almost certainly mean he is one of those that would make it out here.

Like the sound of the new motor, that’s my next treat, I will go for more or less wheels though. I’m torn between an old cabover or a bike, not a Harley, but an early 80s GS1000 or similar, something I can play on in summer and play with in winter. The split arse is on board for the bike idea, but I think the best way to go with the cabover is to beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission :laughing:

Although seeing as though I just spunked her new kitchen and ensuite renovation on my lorry, I have to sort all that first :cry:

It’s not a keeper , I’ll run it for a few weeks then get shot mid summer . Have a minty 79 Z1 so if you do get a bike we’ll have to meet at Virden some Sunday . Shame there aren’t more bends :unamused:

Sounds like a plan, we’ll have to find a cloverleaf :laughing:

Did anyone here work in Quebec after getting their PR?

foresttrucker:
Did anyone here work in Quebec after getting their PR?

The people are more friendly in France then Quebec lol been there twice and that was to often for me

I love Quebec, best province for eye candy by far.