S A Y transport brailsford derby

No John, I don’t. I never actually knew Stuart but of course I knew the Wibbs and a couple of other lads. Being a mere tipper man I didn’t get to mix with the Elite! :slight_smile:

Pete.

windrush:
No John, I don’t. I never actually knew Stuart but of course I knew the Wibbs and a couple of other lads. Being a mere tipper man I didn’t get to mix with the Elite! :slight_smile:

Pete.

I could just picture you on a 1644 Powerliner Pete, beams down to London every day doing mach 1 down the M1 every morning, tip & reload, back with anything to anywhere, always smart looking top of the range motors, some of his drivers could even teach them Bewick men a thing or two about sheeting & roping.
Stuart started driving on a 6 wheeler Ford D Series that his dad ran out of Spaltons corn mill on the junction of Ashbourne Road & Uttoxeter Old Road in Derby (remember that place, you had to wait for the traffic lights to change to red then reverse in) however Stuart tipped the Ford over one morning in Lincolnshire, that’s when they had the first Foden 8 wheeler, I think that would be around late 1979 to early 1980, after that Stuart ran a Volvo F7 unit & just went on from there.

3300John:
Hiya was it Stuarts dad that drove the FL10 bulker■■?. I’ll get Wibb on here he’ll tell us whats what.
Brian subbed for him at one time with a Volvo.
John

Hey up John, yes it was Andy who drove the FL10, usually did 3 load a day from BOCM Newcastle to Brandons turkey farms, the day he retired they had a bit of a party for him.
Don’t get Wibb on here, we’ll never hear the last of where he’s been, I remember him having the F10 new A693JFA, on the headboard it said Snoopy2,as before that he had a yellow F88 called Snoopy, I saw him about a month ago & the only artic driving he does now is with a caravan behind his car, good old Brownlegger.

I remember that Ford Rob, and the mill of course. Is it still there, haven’t been down Ashbourne Road for nearly 12 years? They seemed to get big very rapidly and that’s often a bad sign, not knocking it but it seems that there must be a lot of finance involved and maybe some rate cutting as well? A tidy fleet however, and some decent lads driving them. There wouldn’t be much work for them locally nowadays though! :unamused:

Pete.

AY up i,ve told Wibb where your hiding he,s on his way…i remember the 88. didn’t Dennis Cunningham have a
Brown 88 at the same time. i was at Richo,s at Waterhouses on a rough old 88 running with them, it was only
Kevin was with us on the same job with a 88 i think we was maybe running to the A50
Tean by pass. good old days no booking in first there first loaded same with tipping the good days have gone
now the trucks are better…i sometimes cringe when i think what trucks i did with years ago. i remember Monty
Foulbrook doing Richard Lees beams to Aviemore with a S21 Foden it must have been 10 years old and been
to the moon and back twice but it did that job to Scotch for ages.

3300John:
AY up i,ve told Wibb where your hiding he,s on his way…i remember the 88. didn’t Dennis Cunningham have a
Brown 88 at the same time. i was at Richo,s at Waterhouses on a rough old 88 running with them, it was only
Kevin was with us on the same job with a 88 i think we was maybe running to the A50
Tean by pass. good old days no booking in first there first loaded same with tipping the good days have gone
now the trucks are better…i sometimes cringe when i think what trucks i did with years ago. i remember Monty
Foulbrook doing Richard Lees beams to Aviemore with a S21 Foden it must have been 10 years old and been

I cant think what colour Dennis’s lorry was but I seem to remember he earned his self the handle of “wheels on fire”.

I know for the last month that Brian ran his 88 he had to get out of the passenger door as the drivers side door pillar had all but rusted away and the door would have ended up on the floor if he opened it, he had to explain that to the ministry man on the side of the road, I think they took pity on him as he told them he only had about 5 more days to run before his F10 arrived & he had to keep earning till then.

Kevin ended up running a Spanish Dodge for a while, I think it used to belong to George Dutton, (there’s another man who knew how to get through a box of tacho cards pretty quick )

Last I heard of Kevin he was driving for Bill Morritt but that was years ago, Alan was on a brick crane for Steve Summers and as I said Brian is retired, he’s always off to a country & western gig with Ron Astbury, “Pipeman” also retired

1970commer:

3300John:

I cant think what colour Dennis’s lorry was but I seem to remember he earned his self the handle of “wheels on fire”.

I know for the last month that Brian ran his 88 he had to get out of the passenger door as the drivers side door pillar had all but rusted away and the door would have ended up on the floor if he opened it, he had to explain that to the ministry man on the side of the road, I think they took pity on him as he told them he only had about 5 more days to run before his F10 arrived & he had to keep earning till then.

Kevin ended up running a Spanish Dodge for a while, I think it used to belong to George Dutton, (there’s another man who knew how to get through a box of tacho cards pretty quick )

Last I heard of Kevin he was driving for Bill Morritt but that was years ago, Alan was on a brick crane for Steve Summers and as I said Brian is retired, he’s always off to a country & western gig with Ron Astbury, “Pipeman” also retired

I ve know Ronnie a few years running out of products.iv’e know Pete longer he used to run around Leek with Grasshopper in the mid 60,s

George Dutton! :bulb: I was trying to think of his name a few weeks ago now and couldn’t just bring it to mind (an age thing Rob, you’re getting there rapidly!) as somebody asked me about the guy who was injured in a microlight several crash years ago. I take it that George is still around? Dennis Cunningham, another name from the past but I cannot put a face to it! :blush:

Pete.

Is George still around? - I went to primary school at Long Lane with him and his brother Roy in the early 1950’s!

Steve

Ste46:
Is George still around? - I went to primary school at Long Lane with him and his brother Roy in the early 1950’s!

Steve

Yes Steve, he owns half of Ashbourne Airfield, he’s built up quite a business park up there, renting units out to various companies, he also has another business park at Ednaston & I think I’m right in saying another one in Swadlincote. If I ever bump into him he always has time for a word. His brothers still farm at Brookley Meadows and quite a thriving farm it appears to be.

1970commer:

windrush:

Pete.

I could just picture you on a 1644 Powerliner Pete, beams down to London every day doing mach 1 down the M1 every morning, tip & reload, back with anything to anywhere, always smart looking top of the range motors, some of his drivers could even teach them Bewick men a thing or two about sheeting & roping.
Stuart started driving on a 6 wheeler Ford D Series that his dad ran out of Spaltons corn mill on the junction of Ashbourne Road & Uttoxeter Old Road in Derby (remember that place, you had to wait for the traffic lights to change to red then reverse in) however Stuart tipped the Ford over one morning in Lincolnshire, that’s when they had the first Foden 8 wheeler, I think that would be around late 1979 to early 1980, after that Stuart ran a Volvo F7 unit & just went on from there.

What a good and nice bloke Andrew.Here is a pic of the Ford when new a D2418 with a ■■■■■■■ V8 and Seadyke Body.Notice the strip missing from the front of the cab which for a while that Ford omitted and the chrome bumper was also stopped but they brought them back again.
Tony

If anyone is still interested, I can get my husband (fraggle) who drove for SAY until they finished, to add some photos of his own?

Hi Catherine
I for one would definitely like to see more pictures, either on here or email?

Peter

image.jpg

hiya is that Carl.Wals lad…Wibb in the sun glasses and Grasshopper in the white Tee shirt looking down.can’t sort any others out

Just nudging the thread, been quiet for a while

Found another magazine featuring Sam Brown with a 143 .

NZ JAMIE:
G’day,
here you go Carl,I found these in an old mag,very smart motors mate.
Cheers Jamie

D71 UNU Ended up blue with an owner driver pulling for Sherwoods out of shepshed !

Cockney Pete3:
Have posted some pix in other places but ive not been on here for while so i thought i might try to revive the thread. Always looking for new photos of the fleet.
Cheers
Peter

I have found some previously unseen pics of man F440FNU ,scanias F183FTV ,D70 & D71,Foden A609DUT, I’ll try and scan tomorrow for better quality .

Punchy Dan:

Cockney Pete3:
Have posted some pix in other places but ive not been on here for while so i thought i might try to revive the thread. Always looking for new photos of the fleet.
Cheers
Peter

I have found some previously unseen pics of man F440FNU ,scanias F183FTV ,D70 & D71,Foden A609DUT, I’ll try and scan tomorrow for better quality .

Unseen pics■■?
Sounds good, cant wait to see what youve found mate