Roll-On, Roll-Off Ferries

There were loads of ferries that you had to back on.

Coutances / Cherbourg.

This is the cover of a Softback A4 sized book entitled " Only Brittany Ferries " by Miles Cowsill
of Ferry Publications from Kilgetty, Dyfed, Wales. I acquired it in 1989 when it was published.
I started reading through it again a few days ago, not having opened it for many years, and I
was amazed at what I had either forgotten, or overlooked when I first read it.
The ferries are " Duke de Normandie " at the top, and " Quiberon " below.

Ray Smyth.

Sometimes ferries needed assistance in the past docking in rough weather.

Click on pages twice to read.

There have been a few posts on here recently regarding stern loading ferries. In 1982, I sailed on " Norland "
from Hull to Rotterdam, and 4 days later, returned from Rotterdam to Hull on " Norstar ", both of these vessels
were stern only loading, but they were so big that you drove forward through the stern and swung round at
the bow end and ended up at the stern, ready to drive off to your destination. My destination was a town in
the North of Germany called Braunschweig.

Ten years later in 1992, I did the same journey, outward to Rotterdam on the " Norsea " on April 15th, and
returned on " Norsea " on Good Friday, April 17th.

Picture 1 is " Norsea " at Hull, and ahead of the vessel is " Norland " which was now on the Hull to Zeebrugge route.
Picture 2 is " Norsun " at Rotterdam (Europort).
This journey was to a town called Stade, also in the North of Germany.

Ray Smyth.

DEANB:
Sometimes ferries needed assistance in the past docking in rough weather.

Thanks to Dean for this interesting post.

Ray Smyth.

Sealink advert 1978.

Norsea and Norsun still on the Hull-Zeebrugge route now known as the Pride of Brugge and the Pride of York.

jshepguis:
Norsea and Norsun still on the Hull-Zeebrugge route now known as the Pride of Brugge and the Pride of York.

Thanks for the post P, Both vessels entered service in 1987, so NedLloyd and P & O have had their moneys worth from them. Ray.

Btittany Ferries " Normandie " at Ouistreham July 8th 1992, not long after entering service from here to Portsmouth.
United Savam Volvo with A-Frame drawbar trailer heading up to the double deck linkspan. Click photo twice for larger image.

Ray Smyth.

Brittany Ferries " Normandie ", stern on, and " Bretagne ", bow on at Portsmouth.

Ray Smyth.

Normandie Bretagne Portsmouth.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Btittany Ferries " Normandie " at Ouistreham July 8th 1992, not long after entering service from here to Portsmouth.
United Savam Volvo with A-Frame drawbar trailer heading up to the double deck linkspan. Click photo twice for larger image.

Ray Smyth.

MV Normandie shares the Caen crossing with the Mont Michel.

Both excellent ferries but i always preferred the Normandie. Can you remember the horse statue in the reception area Ray ?

normandie july 921.PNG

normandie july 92.PNG

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:

Ray Smyth.

MV Normandie shares the Caen crossing with the Mont Michel.

Both excellent ferries but i always preferred the Normandie. Can you remember the horse statue in the reception area Ray ?

Hi Dean, My first and only sailing on Mont St Michel was from Ouistreham to Portsmouth in 2009.
I did the trip twice to Ouistreham on the night sailing on Normandie Shipper, the rest of my journeys
were on Duke du Normandie and Normandie. I remember the horse scene in the reception area on
the Normandie, I think I may have a picture of that area. I will try and find it.

Cheers, Ray.

Truckline Cornouailles.

truckline corn.PNG

Article from 1979.

" Prinses Beatrix " on sea trials in the North Sea, prior to being delivered to Sealink SMZ for the
Harwich to Hook Of Holland service in 1978. This vessel was on this route until about the end of
1985 or early 1986, when it was sold to Brittany Ferries. It was chartered back to Sealink SMZ for
a short period, then went for refit and paint, and it became " Duke de Normandie ", and commenced
service on June 5th 1986, leaving Portsmouth and arriving on D-Day, June 6th 1986 at Ouistream,
alongside Sword Beach.

The second picture is " Duke de Normandie ", Bow-on at Portsmouth, picture by Keith Mercer.

Ray Smyth.

P & O " Aquitaine " at Calais.

P & O " Dover " at Calais.

" Normandie " on an evening arrival at Ouistreham (Caen) in July 1992.
A little while later I was in the Drivers restaurant having a fine meal
and enjoying the red wine that was brought to the table in jugs.
Click picture for larger image.

Ray Smyth.

I took this photograph in July 1992, and because it has been in a picture frame in my dining room ever since,
it has faded. " Duke de Normandie " is just about to leave Ouistreham on the afternoon sailing to Portsmouth.
The stern ramp is being raised, and the Caen Pilot boat is heading out into the marked channel. I had just
arrived at Ouisterham in my 16 ton Volvo, having loaded at Bernay, about 60 miles away. I was booked on the
evening sailing aboard " Normandie " which was quite new at the time.

Ray Smyth.

"Duke de Normandie " departing Ouistreham (Caen) in July 1992.
This picture was taken about 5 minutes after the above photo,
but it has kept its colour, having been in a folder.

Ray Smyth.

DDN 2.jpg