Sally Line Ramsgate Ferries

I used to use the Sally Line a lot in the 80’s pulling John Dee’s Trailers to Italy every week, I used to ship out Sunday night trouble was after a good few beers up the local (Sittingbourne) then your Sunday Roast at home that ‘Smogmasboard’ on the boat was to good to miss so you always felt a bit dodgy when you got off at Dunkerque but we always drove to Auxarre, 6 hrs driving then crashed out. I did like the old Schaffino boats to Oostend (Drivers only) excellent grub & as much as you could carry off for the onward journey plus Blue films!! Anyway heres a picture circa 1987 at Ramsgate with the Sally boat & that Gantry that collapsed I think killing one or two people. ■■■■ Matthew (R J Matthew Transport)

Did anyone ever travel on the Sally Line ferries from Ramsgate to Dunkerque? I worked for Romac in the late 1980s and was on one of their tubs up to four times a week.

I did like them because there was usually a party atmosphere what with the stay-on disco cruises for MILFs on their occasional night out with the girls.

Anyone else used them?

I did a bit of airfreight for Romac out of Crayford, I presume you were on the tippers?

Used to use Sally quite a bit, nice food on the passenger boats, the freighters were crap though.

I was stuck in Dunquerque in the blockade in 87/88 whenever it was, waiting for the Sally boat. I got the 1st boat out when it calmed down again, think I was the 2nd or 3rd lorry off at the other end, all the papers were there taking pictures of us :sunglasses:

i sailed out on Sally line on my first Euro trip in the late 80s and then used them a lot when driving for Morrison Freight in the 90s
always a good spread of foood layed out ,but remember one time 6 of us shipped out allhad a plate full of prwans ,that night there was 6 of us spent the night in the toilets at Achen services ! never touched shell fish on sally line again ! :open_mouth: :grimacing:

I used them as a passenger when the Schiaffino had more than 12 drivers when I was on for NorthWest Freighters. I also used them them when I was on for TDS Morgan Freight. :smiley:
This time of the year was great for the women only parties. :wink:

OSTENDE --RAMSGATE best service going
apart from Finnlines,had to deliver ARGON
Gas from Germany to the UK , was on the boats
6 times a week excellent serivce,great bunch of lads
In fact i got a flat in the docks at Ostende and
a bunch of peter blakes drivers ,did the tyre change for me
The companys friendly attitude and easy way of working
was and still remains way above that of the rivals
from Dover.

brit pete:
OSTENDE --RAMSGATE best service going
apart from Finnlines,had to deliver ARGON
Gas from Germany to the UK , was on the boats
6 times a week excellent serivce,great bunch of lads
In fact i got a flat in the docks at Ostende and
a bunch of peter blakes drivers ,did the tyre change for me

Scissors would be drunk, Big Ron would be in charge, Bryan Lewis would have his hands dirty and John would be telling you that you were doing it all wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile Charlie would be trying to buy icecream :smiley:

never went on sally much back then, but talking of parties on ferries, i was working in sheerness when olau packed in and got tickets for the final crossing… then some unspeakable swine went and got a GV9 just as i was leaving the office so i missed the boat :cry: the booze was basically free and they were shagging in lumps according to my colleague who did manage to go :angry:

jj72:
never went on sally much back then, but talking of parties on ferries, i was working in sheerness when olau packed in and got tickets for the final crossing… then some unspeakable swine went and got a GV9 just as i was leaving the office so i missed the boat :cry: the booze was basically free and they were shagging in lumps according to my colleague who did manage to go :angry:

them olau boats ended up on the portsmouth to le harve crossing with p&o nice clean boats as i remember

Used Sally line alot during the 80s and early 90s. Always used to rush to try and make the friday night party boat back to Ramsgate rather than take it easy and get the Saturday morning one.

Did the “buffett”(!!! :open_mouth: :laughing: ) ever change??..those prawns must have gone back and forth across the channel more times than most of the drivers!! :laughing: …and yes i also spent a dodgy night further down the road after eating them during one crossing :unamused:

Remember the stamps that the freight drivers used to get on a card??..then when the stamps ran out they gave us photocopies with a bit of scribble on (IIRC) to “authenticate” them!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Its a good job most drivers were scrupiously honest and would never, ever, ever, dream of making their own photocopies themselves :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

I used to enjoy the Sally crossings, though out of prference i would choose the old Bolougne-Folkestone crossing if I could…used to enjoy a beer in the London - Paris opposite the harbour or breakfast in the “hole in the wall” cafe!!

Good times…now gone forever!! :cry:

I used to use sally in the mid 90s when i was working for k&sj harvey,i used to enjoy them,decent food.The only thing i didnt like was using the ramp to the top decks when i was fully freighted.

I used the freighters a lot in the mid nineties when i worked for castledine transport subbing for thompson jewitts.
Those flat bottomed tubs made a sailor out of me. If you can put up with them rolling like a cork in a washer you can sail anywhere!
We were nearly always carrying haz and they were the only ferry whod touch it. The duty free was dirt cheap though, i remember they used to keep it in a cage on the cargo deck on one boat. Ive also got vague memories of loading through the side of the boat on one of sally lines passenger boats (no idea what it was called though, anyone else know?)

I remember the Smorgasbord, the stay-on cruises and trying to skid my way onto the top deck up the 1 in 4 slope in mid-Winter when it was covered in ice.

And the cheap duty-free- the ship’s DJ always used to ask me to pop in to buy him a bottle because crew weren’t allowed to, so I always did.

There just isn’t a short sea crossing like it any more.

i remeber sitting on there 1 friday night talking to a driver who used it all the time & him telling me how good ramesgate was for a night out i never belived him but had a xxxx great night & enjoyed many more after that .

Harry as you know from my carlsberg photo’s, I have been on Sally, also in the Late 77 & early 78 I was on the Ola line to Flushing in Holland when I drove for Wim Bosman, I got £8 night out money, but only £5 if I was on the ship, I can tell you I never had £8 because they always made sure I was on the ship, M/B used to do contract work for W/B, I travelled mant times with the Woman driver, just cannot think of her name, but remember the figure? Sandman Norman

I lived in Ramsgate for years and yes, it’s good for a night out, there are loads of places geared towards the yachties who moor there.

Found these photos of the Viking 2 (not the Viking 6 as I erroneously stated earlier…

And here, after it had been cut in two and extended…

The Viking 2 became the Sally Sky. She still runs out of Ramsgate as the MV Larkspur on the Ostend route

Ahhh…The Sally days.

Did the Smorgosbord give me my present weight problem ■■? Probably…

Cheap duty free…

Frequent point card even got me a free CB.

Even won jackpot on machine on way out and way back…once…

All brought to an end by Channel Tunnel and Open Borders…

No more T forms. Remember getting stopped without fail by Customs EVERY time (hoping it was not his shift) at Ghyvelde/Adinkerke border by young customs man waving a light saber at me. Nothing ever found but wonder what finally happened to his career!

Ah well back to the present…

Harry’s mention of the Sally Viking boat to Dunkerque gives me memories of prawns, Romac, the corridor and Ghyvelde too. :smiley:
( :open_mouth: I used to sneak back into France at Menen, but that’s another story. :laughing: :wink: )

I was a victim of the Douanes at Dunkerque once the blockade was over. They had me for a supposed one digit difference between my trailer and the number stated in my Carnet de Passage en Douane. So bye bye FF900. :frowning: :smiling_imp:

As has been said, happy days never to return. :cry:

Ossie, I know I am drifting along the coast, but 34years ago, we used to go to Margate on caravan holidays, and we used to swim in the pool on the beach, the water was changed every time the tide came in and out, is it still there.

Norman Ingram:
Ossie, I know I am drifting along the coast, but 34years ago, we used to go to Margate on caravan holidays, and we used to swim in the pool on the beach, the water was changed every time the tide came in and out, is it still there.

The one at Margate beach is still there but it is a sad reflection of the old days as it is just a concrete lump nowadays you wouldn’t recognise Margate anymore …Yes we get the day trippers if weather is nice but they usually bring a picnic so they don’t bring any revenue to the town. All the old guest houses have turned into asylum housing. Most High St shops have closed. It has been far too easy to travel to guaranteed sunshine in Europe which killed the holiday industry here.

Can’t really blame them even I look for a warmer destination for a holiday.

Sign of the times…