Roll-On, Roll-Off Ferries

This picture is for Peter Coaker, It is Brittany Ferries " Penn Ar Bed " leaving Roscoff in 1974. NMP.

Ray Smyth.

DEANB:
Anyone remember Comite ferries ■■ Surprised it says Portland,would have thought it would have been Weymouth.

Hello DEANB
I have no recollection of Comite of of your previously posted Weybourg Shipping. However I do remember a company called Lowline that briefly operated from Weymouth to Cherbourg, using the former Round Table class Logistics Landing Ship, Falklands veteran, Sir Lancelot, renamed as Lowland Lancer. I am not sure how long the operation lasted, but I know it was not long. Just as it was starting, I recall a conversation with a customer, who was none other than the late Christian Michelini, Director General Brittany Ferries. I asked him if he saw it as a threat to the company’s Truckline service, he replied." No, it is not possible to make a profit with that vessel on that route, We were aware of the availability of the ship, but had no interest in it".

Peter

Ray Smyth:
This picture is for Peter Coaker, It is Brittany Ferries " Penn Ar Bed " leaving Roscoff in 1974. NMP.

Ray Smyth.

Hi Ray
You never know, I may have been on board. It does seem a little unusual, in that there do not appear to be any trucks on the top deck, which was loaded by an internal lift, not a very fast operation.
Cheers
Peter

As of last week the Barfleur is tied-up alongside in Caen near the high bridge. I guess she will be there “for the duration”.
Normandie and Mont St Michel doing the Ouistreham run as per (more or less) normal.

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dean, Thank you for confirming that " Barfleur " was lengthened prior to entering service I 1992.
I have attached some pictures taken at Cherbourg on a very windy but suuny day in 2001.
Barfleur is seen arriving, and also " Bow On " at the linkspan, about to unload and then reload
for the afternoon sailing to Poole.

Cheers, Ray.

Great pics Ray of a great ship. She has recently had a refit and new paint job.

Unbelievable that she is 28 years old now and still a nice ferry. :wink:

Heres some technical info.

Peter Coaker:

DEANB:
Anyone remember Comite ferries ■■ Surprised it says Portland,would have thought it would have been Weymouth.

Hello DEANB
I have no recollection of Comite of of your previously posted Weybourg Shipping. However I do remember a company called Lowline that briefly operated from Weymouth to Cherbourg, using the former Round Table class Logistics Landing Ship, Falklands veteran, Sir Lancelot, renamed as Lowland Lancer. I am not sure how long the operation lasted, but I know it was not long. Just as it was starting, I recall a conversation with a customer, who was none other than the late Christian Michelini, Director General Brittany Ferries. I asked him if he saw it as a threat to the company’s Truckline service, he replied." No, it is not possible to make a profit with that vessel on that route, We were aware of the availability of the ship, but had no interest in it".

Peter

Hello Peter,

I cant remember Comite either. I do remember Lowline and like you say it was not around for long. I may be wrong but
was that anything to do with some hauliers getting togeher to start it. For some reason Peter Gilder comes to mind but
i could be completely wrong ?

If Buzzer looks at the thread he may know something ?

There was also, in the late 90’s?, a freight boat Southampton to Tankerville. Unaccompanied plus up to 12 drivers. Took lots of containers on skellies and hazardous was accepted.
Name escapes me for now, but I’m sure someone will oblige.
Only the one boat I think.

Lots of time on my hands and lots to catch-up with on TN. So I feel I should contribute a bit as well. Here are some photos from a trip to NZ back in 2010. The North Island/South Island ferries sail between Wellington and Picton. They vary greatly in size and also approach, Wellington is on a wide-open bay while Picton is a small village at the end of a island strewn channel.

This is Santander in 1995, This was my second trip to Spain with Brittany Ferries
Plymouth to Santander service. The " Val De Loire " has just unloaded at Santander,
and the Tuggies are about to load the unaccompanied trailers for the journey to
Plymouth and beyond. I will soon be loading for the 24 hour sailing to Plymouth.

Coho is a type of salmon and the MV Coho sails between Port Angeles in Washington State and Victoria on Vancouver Island. It boasts that it has never missed a scheduled sailing since it was built in 1959. You drive through the side at Victoria and out through the stern at Port Angeles. I used the 90 minute crossing once after delivering jet skis on Vancouver Island and reloading near Portland in Oregon. The Black Ball Line vessel makes two round trips a day in Winter and four in Summer.

The mv Dorset was an early Truckline ferry from poole to Cherbourg.that had room for 12 drivers,any over that were flown across in a light aircraft.I recall that it is to move around a bit in anything more than a force 1.This was probably around 1970 so I daresay it has been scrapped by now.The Cotentin was its opposite number I think.

ChrisArbon:
Lots of time on my hands and lots to catch-up with on TN. So I feel I should contribute a bit as well. Here are some photos from a trip to NZ back in 2010. The North Island/South Island ferries sail between Wellington and Picton. They vary greatly in size and also approach, Wellington is on a wide-open bay while Picton is a small village at the end of a island strewn channel.

Cracking pics Chris, keep them coming. :wink:

Gidders:
The mv Dorset was an early Truckline ferry from poole to Cherbourg.that had room for 12 drivers,any over that were flown across in a light aircraft.I recall that it is to move around a bit in anything more than a force 1.This was probably around 1970 so I daresay it has been scrapped by now.The Cotentin was its opposite number I think.

Bit later than 1970 “Gidders”. Truckline started operation’s in 1973 with the MV Antelope that weighed a mere 998 tons and could
not cope with the weather conditions on the route. It was joined by a chartered vessel called the MV ASD Astor which also could
not cope with the conditions.

truckline ferries 1974 p ray.PNG

MV Poole Antelope.

MV Asd Astor.

truckline asd astor posed on fb.jpg

The Antelope and Asd Astor were both replaced in 1974 with the MV Cotentin and the MV Schiaffino and the MV Dorset joined
them in 1975. They were all identical ferries which weighed 3598 tons.

These three were eventually replaced by Truckline’s most iconic two ferries,the MV Purbeck and Coutances in 1978.

MV Dorset.

MV Cotentin.

MV Schiaffino.

Interesting pictures and narrative,thanks.My memory worse than I thought clouded by the passage of time.

This is a Woolwich style ferry service that crosses the Arrow Lake in British Columbia. Free service on the Columbia River system in the Rocky Mountains run by BC Ferries.

The Connemara.
Temporarily on Portsmouth/ Cherbourg this week.

ChrisArbon:
This is a Woolwich style ferry service that crosses the Arrow Lake in British Columbia. Free service on the Columbia River system in the Rocky Mountains run by BC Ferries.

Intresting pics Chris ! :smiley:

Can you imagine a free ferry in the UK ! :laughing: :laughing:

Out of intrest do you know why the Americans/Canadians have the trailer axles right at the back with no overhang ?

Peter Coaker, Heres a pic of the Winston Churchill you mentioned.

winston churchill.PNG

The famous MacAndrews ferry that ran from Bognor Regis to La Rochelle. Was it Ghost Ship or Stealth Mode?

DEANB:

ChrisArbon:

Intresting pics Chris ! :smiley:

Can you imagine a free ferry in the UK ! :laughing: :laughing:

Out of intrest do you know why the Americans/Canadians have the trailer axles right at the back with no overhang ?

Hi Dean. It is usually the 48 foot trailers that have the wheels right at the back. The 53 foot trailers usually have the extra 5 feet as rear overhang.

Here are some BC Ferries on the Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands routes.