Reversing with Wheel Guides

So I’m working as a relief driver at the moment driving a variety of vehicles so it’s a good variety. Anyway we have wheel guides at our premises and I find it hard to reverse with them. I find there’s very little margin of error with them and its still possible to be squint with them which I have been a few times and had to readjust. I’ve tried looking for a reference point but there doesn’t seem to be any. I’m guessing just get myself straight before I reverse and only make small adjustments if needed. Anyone else have trouble using them?

If you are talking about bananas I don’t mind them.

Just get it as straight as possible and shunt it back and forward until you can see both in your mirrors. Then reverse back.

Make sure you mirrors are nice and clean - and also set up properly. To do this get the trailer and unit perfectly straight. Then adjust both mirrrors until you can see exactly the same amount of the trailer on both sides. Usually it’s either bang on or very close if a decent driver has had it before you.

If anyone says that isn’t right they almost certainly know more than me. But my method works for me. I think on an artic getting the mirrors really clean (I’m so sad I have my own window cleaner) and set up right makes the difference between a reverse being easy and pretty tough.

If you are doing blindsides then the smaller blindspot mirrors become important - but most folk do not regularly do very tight blindsides and in the case you are as well off getting out and looking a few times then doing it on the little mirrors alone.

sammym:
If you are talking about bananas I don’t mind them.

Just get it as straight as possible and shunt it back and forward until you can see both in your mirrors. Then reverse back.

Make sure you mirrors are nice and clean - and also set up properly. To do this get the trailer and unit perfectly straight. Then adjust both mirrrors until you can see exactly the same amount of the trailer on both sides. Usually it’s either bang on or very close if a decent driver has had it before you.

If anyone says that isn’t right they almost certainly know more than me. But my method works for me. I think on an artic getting the mirrors really clean (I’m so sad I have my own window cleaner) and set up right makes the difference between a reverse being easy and pretty tough.

If you are doing blindsides then the smaller blindspot mirrors become important - but most folk do not regularly do very tight blindsides and in the case you are as well off getting out and looking a few times then doing it on the little mirrors alone.

Solid gold advice from the previous poster, especially the mirrors but also don’t let others watching or even laughing stress you even if it takes 20 shunts i would have it perfectly square just for satisfaction…if you don’t rip a mud guard off or cause damage that’s all I cared about…I remember first starting out and going in the drivers room to hand the keys, when some insecure reprebate made a wise Crack about how many times it took and I just said oh I’m paid by the mile lol…often said guys had chunks missing out their units or trailer bumpers bent too which I always found ironic…

Thanks for the replies folks. Forgot to say it’s a rigid I drive but the same principle will apply for the mirrors so that’s still helpful. I’ll make sure to adjust my mirrors and get them as best as I can to hopefully make the reverse easier.

oDillonx2:
Thanks for the replies folks. Forgot to say it’s a rigid I drive but the same principle will apply for the mirrors so that’s still helpful. I’ll make sure to adjust my mirrors and get them as best as I can to hopefully make the reverse easier.

Also watch your spray suppression (mud flaps) they can get caught between the tyre and banana and get ripped off.

Yup ripped the ns mudguard off last week [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1284:
Yup ripped the ns mudguard off last week [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to get tight with my offside as it’s easier to see and therefore knowing I’ll have plenty of room on my near side which isn’t quite so easy to see.

Reversing onto a bay wasn’t normally the problem but forgetting to remove the number plate first if doing a trailer swap was … :blush:

If you’re talking about a rigid, it’s not that difficult. Use all the space, keep central, shunt.

Like most things in life, it’s practice practice practice

Just wait till you try to put a trailer on a bay that doesnt have them, or even any lines marked.
You’ll be crying out for them then!