Request for 60's or 70's flat trailer pictures

OzzyHugh:
Following on from above post - I tracked the original photo and, believe it or not it was from 1970 at Royal Lancashire Show - so maybe it was 1971 that reflective marker boards appeared .

Hugh

I remember that they were beginning to be fitted to existing trailers in 68 69 and new ones had them in 70 so maybe it was the 68 transport act that brought in speed limits and licencing etc , that changed the law

A 40 foot Crane Fruehauf tandem axle pictured in Manchester October 1969.

Lovely picture, thank you

landowner:
Lovely picture, thank you

No problem here’s another it’s a Boden 33 foot, again this was pictured in 1969.

Click on picture to view full size

Quality LV

IMG_3986.JPG

You’ll need to think about choosing your trailer length. The standard ‘60s trailer length was 33’ (10m) max; this was increased to 40’ (12m) [and again in the ‘80s to 45’ 13.6m]. Some operators voluntarily added under-run bars to 40’ trailers even before they became a legal requirement (P&O Roadways for example IIRC).

Here are some 40’ flats I pulled. Robert

And a few more…

20181111_175420 (1).jpgTrailer nearly finished, needs triangular reflectors and rear mudflaps, it has indicators, lights including marker lights and also stop lamps, it has a slight bow in it but putting weight on straightens it out
Next is to decide on a cab, I was thinking Scania 140 as it would be easier to make but open to suggestions

Here’s a few NMP

It’s coming along, sheets to trim to fit and landing gear needs frring up after the winter. On a dolly till I get tractor unit done next winter.

59469705_2046152872159826_7734395553521336320_n.jpg

Ended up looking quite good, did about 5 shows summer 2019 and the trailer behaved great, towed it at 60mph on the motorway straight as a die, a suspension part broke one day so I replaced the two axle parts with Land Rover track rod ends which solved the problem.

The suspension turned out well, quite complicated though as the axle had to be soft sprung and articulate as well as go up and down, motability scooter suspension parts and coilovers were ideal for the job.

The towing dolly had a fifth wheel which had an upturned towing hitch underneath it which the towing ball under the front of the trailer dropped into, the landing legs wound up and down using half of a scissor jack for the winding mechanism, not ideal because the only wound down half as much as needed but it worked.

All the lights worked and indicators and also had a slide out number plate

I’m going to shorten the trailer and remove an axle so I can tow it behind the Scania I’m building as an ‘A’ frame drag, first show is North Rode in September this year if covid allows.

Guess the scale.jpg

This trailer is a York, It was a tandem new in 1972, We ran it as a tandem but in 1988 we added another axle so as to run at 38 Tonne coupled to our new Leyland Roadtrain, 26 Tonne Payload, Regards Larry.