Remember when the ferries .

neilf:
Wow, fantastic footage from the year I passed my HGV licence.

With the exception of Edmund’s I don think any of the UK firms still exist, at least in the guise seen here. It’s hard to believe that European haulage has changed so much in only 17 years.

Saddle tanks, cab top sleepers,those early spec wagon and drags and ERFs all consigned to the history files.

Cheers
Neilf

yeh they do because im still working for one that’s in the video im pleased to say :slight_smile:

the flyHarceyen:

neilf:
Wow, fantastic footage from the year I passed my HGV licence.

With the exception of Edmund’s I don think any of the UK firms still exist, at least in the guise seen here. It’s hard to believe that European haulage has changed so much in only 17 years.

Saddle tanks, cab top sleepers,those early spec wagon and drags and ERFs all consigned to the history files.

Cheers
Neilf

yeh they do because im still working for one that’s in the video im pleased to say :slight_smile:

Yep same here Harveys of which there are two in the 1st video are still going although do very little European work now and although I don’t work for them any longer I’m stillddoing Europe

International in a FL10 and they moan on the main forum you ain’t got enough space in a premium or high line scania for more than 3 nights a week. :smiley:

Knights of old still do a bit and are in the film.

Bob Eddolls(its his Leyland rigid in one of the films) is still going.

Ellis of Cambridge Gloucestershire (Pulling the Lister Petter trailer) are still running.but You would have seen a lot more ERF’s but Vicks were using the Tunnel in those days (if it wasn’t closed for the fire) and most of the time it was dark coming into France. I think I was running night trunk at that time (I’ll have to get my diaries out to check) Gloucester to Venray one night and back the next . 3hrs 30 mins to the tunnel 3hr 50min Tunnel to Venray. It sure beat working for a living. :smiley: :smiley:

kr79:
International in a FL10 and they moan on the main forum you ain’t got enough space in a premium or high line scania for more than 3 nights a week. :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You need a flat floored superglobeliner to get to Tescos, KR it’s the law. Someone told me in the waiting room. :grimacing:

It’s startling really when you look at that and the variation/quantity of vehicles whilst some claim they couldn’t get a start back then :wink:

billybigrig:
It’s startling really when you look at that and the variation/quantity of vehicles whilst some claim they couldn’t get a start back then :wink:

Oh God, you’ve done it now. We’ll have a 15,000 word thesis and several youtube videos to back up his point by this time tomorrow!

The Volvo F L 10 used to go welll, you would have to be inventive in your packing and allocating of space in the cab, as the cab roof was quite low for a taller driver, but they did the job well, even in the mountains of Euro-land.

robinhood_1984:

billybigrig:

Oh God, you’ve done it now. We’ll have a 15,000 word thesis and several youtube videos to back up his point by this time tomorrow!

Carryfast, where are you ? (it’s all the fault of the trains doin it for less and payin no duty on the fuel they burn) :wink:

Where did Prince hail from ?(the firm that used to run Dafs . . not the the little gimp in the cuban heels) :stuck_out_tongue:

Where did Prince hail from,was it Avonmouth? (the firm that ran Dafs . not the little gimp that wore cuban heels btw) :unamused:

Suedehead:
Where did Prince hail from,was it Avonmouth? (the firm that ran Dafs . not the little gimp that wore cuban heels btw) :unamused:

Yep that area. IIRC they were something to do with or were the DAF agents :question:

billybigrig:

kr79:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You need a flat floored superglobeliner to get to Tescos, KR it’s the law. Someone told me in the waiting room. :grimacing:

My uncle went all over Europe in one of them half sleeper Mercs and Russia in a scania 112 with the 305 under it now you need 500 Bhp to do the night trunk.
I went all over Europe with my dad in the holidays in a 1635 merc and it wasn’t even the g cab

First trip over was to Turin in an Lcab Man 10 tonner with a top pod .
Happy days.

My first truck as an owner driver was a DAF 310, low cab roof, white cab with a yellow roof, it pulled well, then i had two Scania`s 142, v8, no speed limiters back then.

Great memories.
I used to work for Browns Transport in the old blue and white seddy’s. Saw one on the vid at about 325.
Seeing all those old names and remembering some of the “nights out” with the drivers. Priceless!!

kr79:

ay! was doing a yugo & return load italy job in an fl10 at one stage…i can remember it was brilliant on the rough commibloc roads cos the old low cab didnt throw you about anything like as badly as our tall FHs… (previously thought i held the distance record for a wendy cab,but I think Harry Monk went to Russia/Ukraine in one, so that shut me up!) ps brilliant nostalgic footage of days when brit firms ran out to europe on a reasonably level footing with other western european countries all making a steady bread and butter job of it…what the #### happened?)

kr79:

I used to spend sometimes upto two weeks away In a FL10… Low/small cabs were the ‘norm’ back then…

Cracking vids… Bought back great memories…

That E14 sounds great .