Red line suzie helper

I’ve been doing the odd weeks shunting for the last couple of years. We use a Salvo lock system and to start with I used to put the red airline on for the drivers, I don’t do that now because i have figured that to do it 50 or so times a day is just storing up problems for me as I approach my twilight years :smiley: , also, I figure that I myself would be much happier putting my own airlines on rather than trusting some stranger to do it.

Surprised no one has mentioned this, but just pump the foot brake down until the buzzer starts. If you can leave the engine ticking over, it wont build up fast enough to make any difference, but sometimes the red button will pop back out after you have pushed it in when the air pressure is low, leaving the engine running stops this. A few have mentioned lube this is a big aid as well. Had the misfortune to have a shunting job and my carpal tunnel started playing up.
Bring back the taps on suzie lines or palm couplers, the idiot who thought up the present system should be made to hook up a fridge at 4am in the morning in the rain and see how they get on.

I’d kick your arse for pumping the food brake like that . :unamused:

tommie1shunt:
Surprised no one has mentioned this, but just pump the foot brake down until the buzzer starts. If you can leave the engine ticking over, it wont build up fast enough to make any difference, but sometimes the red button will pop back out after you have pushed it in when the air pressure is low, leaving the engine running stops this. A few have mentioned lube this is a big aid as well. Had the misfortune to have a shunting job and my carpal tunnel started playing up.
Bring back the taps on suzie lines or palm couplers, the idiot who thought up the present system should be made to hook up a fridge at 4am in the morning in the rain and see how they get on.

The point is, I think, that we have idiots in the game. We shouldn`t have, but we do.
Palms can be coupled on the wrong lines. Taps can be left switched off. The idiots getting it wrong may take innocents out as well as themselves.
The present system is designed to stop even the greenest cabbage from getting it wrong, and the rest of us have to put up with the down sides of it.

Can’t you drain the tank? It’s good to release moisture from the tanks etc … and should assist.

discoman:
Can’t you drain the tank? It’s good to release moisture from the tanks etc … and should assist.

Draining air out by whatever method will help, yes, but the problem is greatest when shunting multiple trailers, and so the time to drain them will soon add up. Picking up one trailer a week that`s a reasonable solution, but not for a shunter.

Update:

I have decided to order the Hold on Coupling Pliers from Gruber. Expensive I know (but so are my arms and I can’t readily replace them). Spoke to a nice lady in Jarmanie (sic) called Amelia. Should be here back end of next week. (the coupling pliers not Amelia) :wink:

Saw the consultant yesterday. He said no sign of arthritis/inflamation of joints in elbow but tendon issues. Said should heal but ‘engineer out’ the cause.

Crack on, with caution.

Once they’ve turned up and I’ve sussed out how to use them I’ll give some feedback. Am off at the end of Jan for my 60th (visiting Shetland for Up Helyaa should be a laugh) so updates on pliers and post permitting in a fortnight or so.

Palm couplings all day long…the rest of europe manages so why can’t we :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

Punchy Dan, over 7000 posts, you must spend all day looking for somewhere to put your confrontational one liners to add to your post count. Pathetic ■■■■■

tommie1shunt:

Punchy Dan:

Punchy Dan, over 7000 posts, you must spend all day looking for somewhere to put your confrontational one liners to add to your post count. Pathetic [zb].

Ye course iam desperate to boost my post count :unamused: , jog on driver :laughing:

I’ll up my post count by putting something completely irrelevant just so tommie1shunt can see it because I can.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Terracotta!

:smiley:

I’ve always tended to use my bodyweight combined with a knack of putting my knee under my forearm and using it as leverage, which always works well, and puts minimal work on my arms.

This is a problem I’ve not really encountered before, and I’ve been shunting trailers for a long time. Taps are unfortunately an MOT failure so not an option. Have you tried different makes of female C coupling as when the self sealing valves were first introduced they were as stiff as anything and I had a struggle fitting them.
Since then I’ve only fitted I.R. Self sealing couplings and not had any issues.

A2A897FB-8ED9-49D4-903F-F46A83152A67-2056-00000077ED4E2E78.jpeg

I think them plier things are going to make the job even harder…

We have palm connectors on our units.

The point is, I think, that we have idiots in the game. We shouldn`t have, but we do.
Palms can be coupled on the wrong lines. Taps can be left switched off. The idiots getting it wrong may take innocents out as well as themselves.
The present system is designed to stop even the greenest cabbage from getting it wrong, and the rest of us have to put up with the down sides of it.
Franglais

Palm couplings also have a male and a female connection…from the original airlines…so how can they be confused when connecting…and especially now we only have 2…and they are colour coded…only a true idiot would make a mistake… :smiley: …to use palms the fleet would have to be converted, or ideal if only one unit/driver converts them.

truckyboy:
Franglais

Palm couplings also have a male and a female connection…from the original airlines…so how can they be confused when connecting…and especially now we only have 2…and they are colour coded…only a true idiot would make a mistake… :smiley: …to use palms the fleet would have to be converted, or ideal if only one unit/driver converts them.

Sorry, but I really dont see what youre meaning here.
Are you talking about having palms as standard on all trailers and units or about having palm adaptors on both trailer and unit?
And how would it be ideal to have only one driver convert them?

ezydriver:
I’ve always tended to use my bodyweight combined with a knack of putting my knee under my forearm and using it as leverage, which always works well, and puts minimal work on my arms.

That’s what I’ve…

Been doing since the damned things came out and my left arm still popped doing it.

Don’t mind saying it was ■■■■■■■ agony.