Suzie problem

Is there an easy way of connecting the suzie lines up rather than just using brute force?
The reason I’m asking the question is that I’ve suffered from a back problem for years (part of the reason why I decided to take up truck driving) and touch wood since I’ve been driving it has been OK.
Last week I was picking up a trailer from Lincoln and while I was connecting up the suzie lines one of them was fighting back and wouldn’t go on so I must have got myself in an awkward position and give it a good push and bang my back went (slipped disk)
I managed to get off the foot plate in agony and asked a shunter to connect them up for me :blush:
I managed to get the unit back to base and I’m now off work trussed up like a turkey.
Any advice would be appreciated

I read somewhere that if your struggling to connect the air lines try depressing the foot brake a few times and try again, hope your back on the road soon :slight_smile:

I hate connecting suzies. Its the way the loaded trailer rocks as you put the red line onto the trailer. Most disconcerting.

tobytyke:
I read somewhere that if your struggling to connect the air lines try depressing the foot brake a few times and try again, hope your back on the road soon :slight_smile:

Was that in the Beano?

An oil can will probably help or use a drop of oil from the dipstick. If the balls are free that will help.

Or use proper couplings. Palms :stuck_out_tongue:

tobytyke:

I think you might be refering to dumping all the air, which, if all the air has gone, can make it easier. Not something I would do normally, though. :slight_smile:

Wheel Nut:
An oil can will probably help or use a drop of oil from the dipstick. If the balls are free that will help.

I couldn’t really see how it would help, but thought with all your years of experience it must be worth a try.
However all I got was lots of strange looks and laughter, I now have a rash where I used to oil and fifth wheel grease all down my legs. :blush: :laughing:

:slight_smile:
A couple of suggestions for you :

~ Try coupling the suzies with the engine switched off, rather than ticking over. With the compressor not working there should be a bit less pressure required to connect the lines, especially the red one.

~ Straddle the lines. In other words, get your leg-over :stuck_out_tongue: the suzies and connect them with them passing between your legs. You will be directly facing the trailer connections, rather than leaning over from one side or the other, if you follow what I mean.
Depending on how close the gap is, you may be able to get even more leverage be leaning your arse on the back of the cab ! :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

tobytyke:

Was that in the Beano?

Or use proper couplings. Palms :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought i read it in the Haynes Truckers Guide written by that women wohos name i forget.

Deesider:
A couple of suggestions for you :

~ Try coupling the suzies with the engine switched off, rather than ticking over. With the compressor not working there should be a bit less pressure required to connect the lines, especially the red one.

~ Straddle the lines. In other words, get your leg-over :stuck_out_tongue: the suzies and connect them with them passing between your legs. You will be directly facing the trailer connections, rather than leaning over from one side or the other, if you follow what I mean.
Depending on how close the gap is, you may be able to get even more leverage be leaning your arse on the back of the cab ! :laughing: :laughing:

Switching the engine off works for me - always do it.

Straddling the lines just means that your a**se is covered in grease, which will transfer to the seat and thence to your car seats and new leather sofa :laughing:

muckles:

Wheel Nut:

I couldn’t really see how it would help, but thought with all your years of experience it must be worth a try.
However all I got was lots of strange looks and laughter, I now have a rash where I used to oil and fifth wheel grease all down my legs. :blush: :laughing:

AFPMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sockpuppet:
I hate connecting suzies. Its the way the loaded trailer rocks as you put the red line onto the trailer. Most disconcerting.

I hate that too so choose to avoid it by applying the parking brake first! Doesn’t stop the creaking and groaning as the suspension levels tho’

tobytyke:

It’s certainly easier with less pressure. I’ve never bothered pumping the pedal, if I’m having trouble I’m usually doing a good enough job of dumping the air as it is and eventually it’s no match for my puny efforts and goes on.

Dafs i think have got to be the worst on the air pressure both connecting and releasing can potentially cause injury and then you get other makes then that seem to have no air pressure at all, i’ve often wondered why this is.

My tip for the air pressure issue is to first turn off the engine and then as you start to connect the suzie just hold it there at the point where its not on but you can hear air rapidly escaping after a while it usually slips on without too much blood sweat and tears.

Also aside to this a tip i was told by my driving instructor was if my suzie connectors were dry and the collar hard to pull back dip the end into the diesel tank (obviously easier if you have a full tank) and then let the residual drip onto the collar of the one attached to the trailer and everything then gets a whole lot easier.

had same problem with back n coupling up pain is pleasure pleasure is pain :smiling_imp: wd 40 n dump the air

Deesider:

~ Straddle the lines. In other words, get your leg-over :stuck_out_tongue: the suzies and connect them with them passing between your legs. You will be directly facing the trailer connections, rather than leaning over from one side or the other, if you follow what :

you have to be careful :wink: I know someone who got into a lot of trouble getting his leg over a Suzie

mind you, that was Suzie who worked in the office

Usually it’s the red air line that’s difficult to fit due to air pressure. With some makes of truck, the yellow line is also under pressure. The red air line supplies the air pressure to operate the brakes, the yellow line controls how much pressure is applied to the brakes. On some makes of truck, when the unit hand brake is on, the trailer brakes are also on.

If you fit the furthest away lines first, working towards yourself for the rest. When you come to fit the air line under pressure you should be able to get yourself in a better position to put your weight into getting the job done with-out covering yourself in grease. Sometimes you end up covered in grease anyway.However, starting with the nearest one and working away from yourself just makes it harder and you’re even more likely to get greased up. :blush: :unamused:

All our trailers are close coupled,so I usually apply the trailer parking brake,(pull out the red knob),reverse half way under the trailer,then you can stand on the platform,facing the couplings.Holding one air line with both hands,with elbows braced against my hips or knees,I can use my body weight to overcome the air pressure in the couplings.There is room to manoeuver without having to reach and risk your back.
When ALL the suzzies are connected,back the tractor right under,check the coupling is locked,then push in the red knob to release the trailer parking brake.BE SURE THE TRACTOR PARKING BRAKE IS ON!
I use the reverse of this method to uncouple as well.It saves working in a cramped position,and avoids getting too close to the grease.

I usually do one of three things (or all) when I’m having trouble…

1. Get astride the lines and use my knee to push against the suzie. Saves the pressure on your back.

2. Turn the engine off and get the pressure out of the system as described above.

3. If it’s the state of the suzie rather than the air causing the problem (after parking up for Xmas, for example) I dip it in my diesel tank (saves climbing back off the catwalk to fetch the WD40, which is a big deal for me when I’m bad). After turning the collar a few times to work the lubricant well in, it’ll usually be fine.

probably a no brainer but put the red on first its alot easier or so i have always found :slight_smile: :wink:

Not true if the unit’s yellow line dominant Fozzie (like mine). :wink: