Advice About coupling a red (emergency) air connector

Random post off subject so apologies to start with.

I had problems this morning trying to couple up to a trailer with a brand new Scania R450. When trying to get the emergency air line connected I simply couldn’t get it on? I’m 18 stone and it wasn’t budging. Lots of hissing without connection.

The unit was turned off, parking brake on the trailer on etc.

I even tried to couple up to another trailer but had the same problem.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

Big V

Since the two topics are quite different, I’ve split your topic from the other one.
Now it’s not so random. dd.

BigV1971:
Random post off subject so apologies to start with.

I had problems this morning trying to couple up to a trailer with a brand new Scania R450. When trying to get the emergency air line connected I simply couldn’t get it on? I’m 18 stone and it wasn’t budging. Lots of hissing without connection.

The unit was turned off, parking brake on the trailer on etc.

I even tried to couple up to another trailer but had the same problem.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

Big V

Two suggestions.

1. Squirt some WD40 up it or wipe it clean then dip it in the diesel tank.

2. Use the foot brake to evacuate all the air from the system then try again.

As above a bit of lube goes a long way, i keep the suzies gently lubed now and again, but with full pressure in there is still a bit of technique, serious grip required then try to keep your arms rigid and use your whole body weight to push the ■■■■ thing home, doubly hard when you have a MAN or DAF (dunno about the rest), cos the service line is pressurised too, luckily i keep the same trailer 99% of the time so easy to keep all the suzies lubed.

Takes a strong person to connect these things without getting some body weight behind, especially pleasurable fun when you have multiple couldn’t give a monkeys people using the motor and all the pipes and lines are tangled and smothered in filth and grease, lovely :unamused:

As the 2 above, plus…sin of sins…split couple it. If you have a close coupled combo there isnt enough space to get your body lined up behind your arm and hand. Giving yourself space to work makes it much easier. . Ill let someone else tell you how the sky will fall in if you take that advice however.

I’ll probably be hated for saying I’ve once dipped my finger in 5th wheel grease and rubbed it around the connector because it refused to go on, I now always carry silicone spray and I find its the best stuff for staying put as WD40 just doesn’t seem to stay put, I use Wurth silicone spray which i’m sure was around £14 a can but it lasts ages, everyday my windows go up and down like a brides nightie and are as smooth as silk now.

The shank part of the red coupler is what needs the grease - rather than the inside of the ring socket. I find the best place to run your finger covered in 5th wheel grease - is the small nob and notch bit, as you’ll struggle to get the thing on unless the nob is slid down into the notch in any case. :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Franglais:
As the 2 above, plus…sin of sins…split couple it. If you have a close coupled combo there isnt enough space to get your body lined up behind your arm and hand. Giving yourself space to work makes it much easier. . Ill let someone else tell you how the sky will fall in if you take that advice however.

Are you trying to get this guy killed!!! :wink:

I have seen the rules at many a blue chip firm which would have you getting a record for this madness.

mrginge:

Franglais:

I have seen the rules at many a blue chip firm which would have you getting a record for this madness.

I know. I know.
I do apologise for considering that a trained and licenced professional driver could possibly do something as dangerous as a split couple.
Sorry.

I’m just glad you didn’t post your advice in the ‘newbie’ section :smiling_imp:

Franglais:

mrginge:

Franglais:

I know. I know.
I do apologise for considering that a trained and licenced professional driver could possibly do something as dangerous as a split couple.
Sorry.

I always Split Couple when hitching up to a fridge trailer.

Winseer:
The shank part of the red coupler is what needs the grease - rather than the inside of the ring socket. I find the best place to run your finger covered in 5th wheel grease - is the small nob and notch bit, as you’ll struggle to get the thing on unless the nob is slid down into the notch in any case. :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

This post is so suggestive its left me with a semi-erection

If you don’t have any WD40 type lubes , try some spray deodorant . I’ve found it works wonders in the winter months and most drivers carry some in their bag .

mick palmer:
If you don’t have any WD40 type lubes , try some spray deodorant . I’ve found it works wonders in the winter months and most drivers carry some in their bag .

I’m sure that Dipper used to carry some sort of lube in his overnight kit?

Thanks DD.

Sorry I’m late replying but I’ve been busy at home catching up on jobs for the long haired general.

Thanks for the advice, I’ve added some lube to my toolkit. I also love how the replies descended into a melee of ■■■■■■ undertones, it’s like being back in the army lol.

I too split couple all the time as I do fridge work, I’ve never experienced this emergency connection problem in my 14 years of driving?

All the best,

Big V

Leave trailer park brake on and leave hand brake off. No back pressure. Or hook up and turn engine off and dump the tanks of air.

Knee braced against elbow. Push with your legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Harry Monk said. I doubt it is rusted up if the unit is used daily but the reason they stretch is so that they reach the fuel tank :smiley:

Draining the air tanks is a good trick, you are already coupled up so its not going to go anywhere.

We never had this problem with air taps

Silver_Surfer:
Knee braced against elbow. Push with your legs.

Is the…

Method I use, after my left arm exploded with pain some years ago whilst shoving these godforsaken devices on.

Perhaps someone could do a quick Ytube video to show the technique?

criss did i holler

I’m an 18st ex Serviceman. Rugby front row player, power lifter and Army super heavyweight judo champion (Retired undefeated). I had both forearms on my knees trying to get the coupling on and it wasn’t moving. (I’m sure I was lifting the trailer at one point lol)

Big V

Ya…

Big wuss. :smiley: