Question for the Bikers and petrol heads

Nothing i like more than getting out of the truck after a long week & going for a blast on my bike…only when the suns out obviously tho [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mike68:

Sidevalve:

mike68:
Cool bike that red one, I’m guessing early 50’s flathead.

I know bugger all about them, but I bet it draws a crowd.

1942 actually. Ex-military WLC, which is the Canadian army version.

Lovely old bike, very rare I would imagine.

Not as rare as you might think; oddly enough they’re probably more common in Europe than in their native America.
Harley-Davidson made about 88,000 WLA and WLC bikes during World War 2, and because of the way the war went, many ended up this side of the Atlantic. Because it wasn’t cost-effective to ship them back home after hostilities ended (and also because H-D didn’t want the home market flooded with government surplus bikes which would kill their business) many were sold off or simply dumped.

They’re particularly popular in Holland, where there’s a thriving aftermarket parts industry; I can literally get anything for them and delivery within three days, far better than any new Harley! The Cloggies call them “Liberators”; there’s a whole lot of the British owners over in Normandy at the moment for the D-Day shenanigans, including this one which belongs to a mate of mine down here; this is how mine would have looked when new.

Rob's 45.jpg

They’re heavy, underpowered, slow, quirky (3 speed hand change and foot clutch) but also virtually indestructible. I’ve toured Europe several times on mine, and it’s an absolute hoot to ride.

I’ve been a life long petrol head, mostly cars. My last interesting car, an E36 M3 evo got stolen which was a real shame. I loved going out for a blast to the coast or cadwell park just for the hell of it at weekends.
I also did the bike thing for about 5 years but not had one for about 10 years, still miss it to be honest but I don’t have a garage anymore so can’t really have another just yet. I had a couple of ZX9r’s and a couple of R1’s, the best being one of the first 4xv (I think) models in red and white…wish I’d never sold it now!

Unless you’re a millionaire there ain’t any fast cars when you’ve got a sports bike but I do enjoy driving a fairly fast car nearly as much. My current car, is a mapped E92 330d with a quaife atb diff in it. Fast and frugal.
As somebody once said, “it’s better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow”. Basically, all cars and bikes can be fun to drive on the right road, doesn’t matter how much power it has, or doesn’t have and bares no relation to driving a truck all week for a living.

nomiS36:
I’ve been a life long petrol head, mostly cars. My last interesting car, an E36 M3 evo got stolen which was a real shame. I loved going out for a blast to the coast or cadwell park just for the hell of it at weekends.
I also did the bike thing for about 5 years but not had one for about 10 years, still miss it to be honest but I don’t have a garage anymore so can’t really have another just yet. I had a couple of ZX9r’s and a couple of R1’s, the best being one of the first 4xv (I think) models in red and white…wish I’d never sold it now!

Unless you’re a millionaire there ain’t any fast cars when you’ve got a sports bike but I do enjoy driving a fairly fast car nearly as much. My current car, is a mapped E92 330d with a quaife atb diff in it. Fast and frugal.
As somebody once said, “it’s better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow”. Basically, all cars and bikes can be fun to drive on the right road, doesn’t matter how much power it has, or doesn’t have and bares no relation to driving a truck all week for a living.

Don’t let not having a garage stop you having a bike,my back garden is fenced and gated off and my bike lives on my patio and kept under an Oxford stormex cover,an absolutely fantastic bit of kit that is for £60,I do have a shed I can put bike in but it’s just easier to use this…

Currently receiving my motorcycle fix in a home stay 100 yards off Bray Hill in Douglas with 5 other like minded individuals. Unfortunately the weather isn’t playing nicely, but at least the pubs have roofs on them! :smiley:

the maoster:
Currently receiving my motorcycle fix in a home stay 100 yards off Bray Hill in Douglas with 5 other like minded individuals. Unfortunately the weather isn’t playing nicely, but at least the pubs have roofs on them! :smiley:

I’m heading over tonight,hope the weather picks up

Sidevalve:

mike68:

Sidevalve:

mike68:
Cool bike that red one, I’m guessing early 50’s flathead.

I know bugger all about them, but I bet it draws a crowd.

1942 actually. Ex-military WLC, which is the Canadian army version.

Lovely old bike, very rare I would imagine.

Not as rare as you might think; oddly enough they’re probably more common in Europe than in their native America.
Harley-Davidson made about 88,000 WLA and WLC bikes during World War 2, and because of the way the war went, many ended up this side of the Atlantic. Because it wasn’t cost-effective to ship them back home after hostilities ended (and also because H-D didn’t want the home market flooded with government surplus bikes which would kill their business) many were sold off or simply dumped.

They’re particularly popular in Holland, where there’s a thriving aftermarket parts industry; I can literally get anything for them and delivery within three days, far better than any new Harley! The Cloggies call them “Liberators”; there’s a whole lot of the British owners over in Normandy at the moment for the D-Day shenanigans, including this one which belongs to a mate of mine down here; this is how mine would have looked when new.

They’re heavy, underpowered, slow, quirky (3 speed hand change and foot clutch) but also virtually indestructible. I’ve toured Europe several times on mine, and it’s an absolute hoot to ride.

Glad to here you use, it most old bikes are just bought for investments these days.

Certain bikes have rocketed in value in recent years and the fact there is a ready supply of parts for your bike why not use it I really like v twins I have a VTR at the moment very cheap and very underrated.

yorkshire terrier:

the maoster:

I’m heading over tonight,hope the weather picks up

It’s shocking mate. ■■■■■■■ down as I write this at half eleven pm. Tomorrow forecast is good from 10.30. Here’s hoping .

Like one or two other posters I also have a hairdresser’s car - a TT convertible - and love the drive home with the hood down after a long shift, weather permitting…just needs to be dry. Couldn’t give a monkeys what anyone thinks of it but do get some daft looks on way to work early mornings with hood down and a jacket/hat on! It’s the next best thing to a bike which isn’t worth having any more as the missus went on so much!

Scannyfanny.

Yep, me too. Its a totally different sort of road use. I sometimes call my bike ‘truck driver’s revenge’ :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I don’t ride at the weekends very much, I ride 5 days a week to and from work 27 miles each way (so that’s 13k p.a. min). My motivation in less inclement weather is not having to pay €4.40 toll.

this is me and my petrolhead heaven.

dailymotion.com/video/x6nzc … ist=x5w98v

nothing like burning rubber and petrol to create noise!