Poll - Is there a driver shortage?

Evil8Beezle:

EddieMD:
Have a look

transportoperator.co.uk/2016/01/29/3568/

Thanks for posting that, a very concise and accurate assessment in my eyes!

Just came across it the other day, not sure how old it is but with those figures I thought won’t make that much difference if it’s even a year old

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

EddieMD:

Evil8Beezle:

EddieMD:
Have a look

transportoperator.co.uk/2016/01/29/3568/

Thanks for posting that, a very concise and accurate assessment in my eyes!

Just came across it the other day, not sure how old it is but with those figures I thought won’t make that much difference if it’s even a year old.

It’s dated 29/1/16 going by the link address, and date on it. :wink:
Perfectly valid and current in my opinion, the apparent shortage has been going a lot longer than that! :laughing:

If we were to have a poll of “Who is the highest paid driver” the actual highest paid ones would be keeping stumn - in case someone else poaches their job.
If we were to have a poll of “Who takes one of these minimum wage jobs” - people would keep stumn because they’d be embarrassed to admit so.

That leaves the rest of us then. :smiley:

Mistaken opinions aplenty, or does someone actually know something :question: :confused:

I don’t. :blush: Conflicting signals both ways.

My job is alright for example, but I’m now considering leaving because I’ve been conned over the Christmas overtime. Apparently I’m expected to work it for too little extra, which wasn’t pointed out to me in my contract.
Days off in lieu are not worth anything - unless you can take those days off exactly when you want all the time.

So… If there really is a shortage - I should be able to move on quickly. If there isn’t a shortage, I’ll be stuck where I am for another year at least.
Truth be told - I’m not sure what is going on right now. Perhaps things will be clearer next week by which time we’ll know the result of Paul Nuttall’s bid for Westminster. If he loses, it’ll be “Full steam ahead on more of the same”. Lots more “I’m not sure wtf is going on.”. If he wins - all bets are off. Politicians will be running scared, and the first thing to go will be the lying adverts that don’t tell it how it is - to trick people into taking jobs.

The more the public become aware of the crappy pay and conditions “considered standard” in the trucking industry - the more actual licence holders will “find something better”. Both sides might lie, but it is the lie that the general public currently outside of the haulage industry actually believe - that shapes the pattern of future recruitment, if I could use that word loosely there.

No one wants to train up, pay a lot of cash, and take time out from earning elsewhere - just to get a job that they are led to believe pays single pounds per hour for putting up with all the bull of working nights out, weekends, short-notice shift changes, long commutes, and of course - dangerous work in many instances. :bulb:

Evil8Beezle:
As the title says, is there a driver shortage?

I’ve left out the option of ‘only a shortage of good drivers’ as I think that would muddy the general opinion…

Of course there is and will become worst as more people retire from the industry. Almost every truck driver I see on the road in in their 50’s or 60’s.
Why drive truck 12-14hrs for 8-8,50(class 2 as I’ve only this licence) and take all the BS that comes with it - you know it better then me.
When I can work as I do now in food warehouse for 9p/h, 30 day paid holidays per year, canteen, normal clean toilet and 8hr. shift, over time paid 1,5 times, have a schedule 4 weeks ahead etc. etc. To someone this might look like “dirty job”, but it pays the bills, I dont have to deal with idiots on the road, on the phone or in the office delivering goods and Im happy with it.
Also no company will hire people with new licence because of insurance purposes, has to be agency work, despite the fact that I’ve a lot of experience in US in bigger truck and adverse weather.
I was on assessment back in July 2016 in construction supply company, drove all day with one of their drivers, he like me and my driving but said they will not hire me even though they were desperate…insurance purposes - no experience in UK, licence at the time was 9 months old etc.
So f**k it…next thing you know I might get qualified as fork lift driver, make good money(12-13p/h) and be happy with it. Even though H&S or QA is a lot better but the British competition is harder…

Dolph:

Evil8Beezle:

I’ve left out the option of ‘only a shortage of good drivers’ as I think that would muddy the general opinion…

Of course there is and will become worst as more people retire from the industry. Almost every truck driver I see on the road in in their 50’s or 60’s.
Why drive truck 12-14hrs for 8-8,50(class 2 as I’ve only this licence) and take all the BS that comes with it - you know it better then me.
When I can work as I do now in food warehouse for 9p/h, 30 day paid holidays per year, canteen, normal clean toilet and 8hr. shift, over time paid 1,5 times, have a schedule 4 weeks ahead etc. etc. To someone this might look like “dirty job”, but it pays the bills, I dont have to deal with idiots on the road, on the phone or in the office delivering goods and Im happy with it.
Also no company will hire people with new licence because of insurance purposes, has to be agency work, despite the fact that I’ve a lot of experience in US in bigger truck and adverse weather.
I was on assessment back in July 2016 in construction supply company, drove all day with one of their drivers, he like me and my driving but said they will not hire me even though they were desperate…insurance purposes - no experience in UK, licence at the time was 9 months old etc.
So f**k it…next thing you know I might get qualified as fork lift driver, make good money(12-13p/h) and be happy with it. Even though H&S or QA is a lot better but the British competition is harder…

Couldn’t disagree more. Before the invasion from the East, I remember seeing signs for drivers on gates, the odd parked up truck and got offered at least one job a week while delivering or collecting loads. That just simply isn’t the case anymore. The only people with a shortage are offering poor pay and conditions. Those are the type you describe, which is why you keep seeing them, leading you to the false illusion of a shortage. When I passed my class 1 in 2001, there was a genuine shortage, hence I had no problems working anywhere. Companies simply paid the insurance premiums to put backsides on seats. Even before wages rise, new starters would get no restrictions in a real shortage

£12 or £13 an hour driving a fork lift truck…PMSL :grimacing:

No shortage , but there are far too many agencies advertising the same ficticious jobs.Also there are a lot of firms trying to make out there’s shortages to feather there own nests .Wages are at stagnation through to many drivers .
Roll on Brexit .

eagerbeaver:

Only if it’s hanging off the back of a trailer :laughing:

I’d be interested to have some posts from those that have said YES.

Evil8Beezle:

You had one from Dolph, who despite the shortage, can’t get a job. Go figure :confused:

OVLOV JAY:

Dolph:

Evil8Beezle:

Couldn’t disagree more. Before the invasion from the East, I remember seeing signs for drivers on gates, the odd parked up truck and got offered at least one job a week while delivering or collecting loads. That just simply isn’t the case anymore. The only people with a shortage are offering poor pay and conditions. Those are the type you describe, which is why you keep seeing them, leading you to the false illusion of a shortage. When I passed my class 1 in 2001, there was a genuine shortage, hence I had no problems working anywhere. Companies simply paid the insurance premiums to put backsides on seats. Even before wages rise, new starters would get no restrictions in a real shortage

Тhe invasion from the East that Great Britain forced EU to accept, the same invasion that UK open its labor market to something what 95% of the other EU member didn’t. The same invasion that is the result of US+UK/NATO bringing down the Communism in the Eastern Bloc!
I would love to have my parents live at the age Im now they had in communist Bulgaria and would think about immigrating to UK.
But life is what is and even you deport us all Eastern European tomorrow, by the day after we will be replaces by someone else by big business and politicians. Its 21 century capitalism/globalism/exploitation.
The moment you stop seeing “us vs them” you will realize that we are all screwed.

OVLOV JAY:

Evil8Beezle:

You had one from Dolph, who despite the shortage, can’t get a job. Go figure :confused:

I’m not sure Dolph was really saying there was, he started that way, but then gave all the reasons why no one wants to do the job! :laughing:

Dolph:

OVLOV JAY:

Dolph:

Evil8Beezle:

Тhe invasion from the East that Great Britain forced EU to accept, the same invasion that UK open its labor market to something what 95% of the other EU member didn’t. The same invasion that is the result of US+UK/NATO bringing down the Communism in the Eastern Bloc!
I would love to have my parents live at the age Im now they had in communist Bulgaria and would think about immigrating to UK.
But life is what is and even you deport us all Eastern European tomorrow, by the day after we will be replaces by someone else by big business and politicians. Its 21 century capitalism/globalism/exploitation.
The moment you stop seeing “us vs them” you will realize that we are all screwed.

You’re right, we are all screwed, but there was a time when some of us weren’t :wink:

eagerbeaver:

Amazon pays 15p/h but you have to be employee first and go thru “internal channels”.

:grimacing: Stop it…some wee is coming out…

Dolph:

Mate, I don’t think most of us here are blaming ANY player/driver in the EU game, it’s the game that the more intelligent people here understand is to blame. So you bringing up the “us vs them” is detrimental to your aims. Chill pal, as i’m sure most of us don’t view it like that and know some quality EE drivers… :sunglasses:

Evil8Beezle:

Dolph:

Mate, I don’t think most of us here are blaming ANY player/driver in the EU game, it’s the game that the more intelligent people here understand is to blame. So you bringing up the “us vs them” is detrimental to your aims. Chill pal, as i’m sure most of us don’t view it like that and know some quality EE drivers… :sunglasses:

Im chilled mate, I go crazy when someone instigate “invasion from the East” :wink:

Dolph:

Evil8Beezle:

Dolph:

Im chilled mate, I go crazy when someone instigate “invasion from the East” :wink:

When I sat and watched coaches on the news, full to the brim leaving Poland 2 days before they got into the EU, it was reminiscent of an invasion. I don’t blame a single one of you, because I’m no hypocrite, and if there were litter picking jobs in Sofia paying 3 times my wages, I’d be on the same flight out as you. As evil said, it’s the game that’s skewed, not the players

Not sure about a shortage iv had 4 different jobs in the last year I’m not scared to move on plus if you haven’t used any holiday you get a nice wedge on your last pay :slight_smile: I just think a lot of drivers move on which opens up jobs elsewhere and creates the illusion of a shortage but in reality there isn’t one…

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

eagerbeaver:

Around £7.75hr for forkie drivers up here…

thebestconnection.co.uk/vacanci … ign=Indeed

And £7.50hr…

indeed.co.uk/viewjob?jk=ae2 … 9&from=web

(Pay rates ‘from’ £7.50? Make that ‘that’s all you’ll get’)…

And that’s through agencies too.

So does said job even exist in the first place…?