Peter Slater Ltd.+ Other Coalmen from the 50s/60s onwards

old hgv lorries 016.jpg

These photos of Slaters motors are as rare as hens teeth. Who the hell ever found a Slaters machine at a standstill long enough for a picture to be taken was a good man. Slaters blasting over Blackstone Edge with coal flying everywhere. :open_mouth:

Here you go joncris enjoy. Les.

Hi

I’m a newby and I joined because I came across this great site when I was faffing about on the web & entered the name Slaters Haulage

It was another life but I drove for them in the early 60’s mainly a Mammoth Major (which I washed, polished & painted the wheels red every bloody Saturday) I also drove their 1st New Albion with Eaton Splitter to Newcastle delivering steel pit props.
The greedy boards mentioned were used when loading coke.
After Slaters I went on to drive for others including Leeds Corporation where I obtained my PSV on double deckers.
Anyway until I completely changed job direction the list of driving jobs I took was/is endless

My father worked for Beatties in the mid 50s to the early 60s he worked out of Bennet st and blind lane ardwick he drove an AEC mammoth magor and a leyland octopus.

Was it Peter Slaters who were based at the top of Asquith Avenue at the junction with Geldard road at guildersome in Morley seem to remember a large fleet of tippers and tankers parked there when I was a kid

atlas man:
Was it Peter Slaters who were based at the top of Asquith Avenue at the junction with Geldard road at guildersome in Morley seem to remember a large fleet of tippers and tankers parked there when I was a kid

Yes that’s them a steel staircase firm is there now, Just up the road was A.One Transports Yard.

I’ve just read that monckton coking plant at Royston shut down back in December 14 ,I did intend on getting some photos of the place in action and the Hargreaves subbie lorries loading but never got round to it ,I belive it to have been the last independent plant in the uk ,there are some photos on websites like 28 days later and others too .

You’re right, Monckton coking plant has finished. There’s a very good article about it in “Memories of Barnsley” magazine, issue 33 spring 2015. Back numbers are available from the Barnsley Chronicle offices on Church Street , Barnsley, or from the “Old Barnsley” stall upstairs in the market hall. Loads of good historic pictures, maps and memories, but without the smell!
Fodenway.

R Hanson & Son Ltd (photo courtesy of transportphotos.com/road/photos

JLC00346-01.jpg

Stanfield:
R Hanson & Son Ltd (photo courtesy of transportphotos.com/road/photos

A few more to add to the thread from my collection, unfortunately, I can only go back a mere 35 years, Sod’s Law, should have started earlier

Barry/Gloves

Back in the day I once overtook one of Peter Slaters lads…and lived to tell the tale. :smiley: There’s not many can say they went past one of Slaters, but i was young and foolish. :unamused:

grumpy old man:
Back in the day I once overtook one of Peter Slaters lads…and lived to tell the tale. :smiley: There’s not many can say they went past one of Slaters, but i was young and foolish. :unamused:

Hi GOM, You must have been in Aberdeen Overdrive, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

grumpy old man:

Hi GOM, You must have been in Aberdeen Overdrive, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Its my betting the lights had just changed to red Larry and GOM saw his chance, although 2nd thoughts I dont think they bothered to much about that did they :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
Great pictures by the way Barry/Gloves thanks

Yes Larry it was the silent gear.
Traffic lights■■? a “job requirement” at Slaters was…You must be colour blind :smiley:

Strewth, what a team they were in their day. Legendary. :smiley:

They used to complain to the AEC service engineers about brake linings not lasting very long.

aye , we had the same round the peaks with mullans of chesterfield . first time i saw a woman lorry driver , think giant haystacks , huge woman who took no prisoners , if you didn’t shift out of the way she’d go through you . old leyland octopuses loaded to the sky , coal flying everywhere . it was reckoned that nearly all their drivers / pilots were going to jail or just come out . dave

grumpy old man:
Traffic lights■■? a “job requirement” at Slaters was…You must be colour blind :smiley:

They certainly were GOM, they used to fly past me on Standedge in the 50/60s & that was going down not up, They must of had nerves of steel, I think they must of been on a good bonus for getting the loads out, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

There was an article about Peter Slater and how he had built his business in the AEC Gazette, written IIRC in the late 1950s. The accompanying photos were of AEC Mammoth Major Mk.111s in convoy on a snow covered Standedge. The photo of Peter Slater himself showed still a young man stood alongside his Bentley or something similar. He had served in the RAF in WW2. Unfortunately I no longer have these AEC Gazettes. Its amazing how everyone still remembers Slaters for the same reasons. Truly a legendary company.

Lawrence Dunbar:

grumpy old man:

They certainly were GOM, they used to fly past me on Standedge in the 50/60s & that was going down not up, They must of had nerves of steel, I think they must of been on a good bonus for getting the loads out, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

Most coal carriers running from the Yorkshire coalfields over the tops in Lancashire and beyond did 2 load a day, Slaters lads were paid extra for doing 3 load in the day. Remember, no motorways over the tops in those day…it was .Standedge, Woodhead, Blackstone Edge etc.