Peter Slater Ltd.+ Other Coalmen from the 50s/60s onwards

You mean this one gingerfold

Peter Slater 4 AECs.jpg

fantastic picture…looks like we got a convoy. These lorries are similar to a 1951 maudslay my dad drove when I was a kid really an aec mammoth major with maudslay badges on them. The wheel base looks the same but the tyres are bigger on this photograph . My dads lorry was from the whitwick granite company Leicestershire . HAY492 eight wheel tipper lasted until 1964…max speed 35 mph

Slater’s weren’t a patch on Jack Hanson’s mob in any way shape or form

Those four sure are’nt on house coal,that would be four days work out of the Notts/Derby pits in my day if you were lucky.You could count doubles or lump as it dropped into the body and to ask if you could go to stock was followed by the usual round of laughter in the weighbridge. Used to do singles from Mansfield or Moor Green to Carborundum at Trafford Park, one and load then two the following day and so on.There were thousands of tons on stock,but you had to sit under the washer nearly every time. Only if down the hole had stopped turning with a breakdown would they let you go into the field. :wink: Mike.

SHYTOT:

Don’t remember any of Hanson’s passing me with the brakes on fire and still had the hammer down, :unamused:

Another of the Peter Slater fleet.

Stanfield:
You mean this one gingerfold

Yes, that’s the one, brilliant.

lespullan:

SHYTOT:

Don’t remember any of Hanson’s passing me with the brakes on fire and still had the hammer down, :unamused:

I remember one of Hansons 4 wheeler AECs , on the A670 at Diggle heading down towards Dobcross, There were sparks flying from the rear wheels, I was heading up to Annies Café that day, & some other drivers remarked about this, you could smell the the brakes, This was in the earley 60s, Regards Larry.

To lite up the brakes you need to use them Hanson’s didnt

Oh, Butterfield. They were lovely. Always clean wagons. Never had a problem with any of their drivers. One of the best of the Barnsley Pool, (B.D.T. Ltd).

Anyone know who the green Foden S80 belongs to ? (Always hated the look of the Foden cabs between the S39 and S90)

Don’t think this one has been on before ?

Regards. John.

old 67:
Don’t think this one has been on before ?
Regards. John.

Double drive, reduction hubs,…I once managed to break a half shaft on one of those. Don’t ask how, I don’t know myself, I was only easing forward onto the weighbridge at Ripon Gas works. Old Fred Chappell was not amused…“how the 'kin hell have you managed to do that”?.. :confused: :confused:
Then he said “you’d better take yon AEC tomorrow” :open_mouth: …A brand spanking new AEC Marshall 6wheel tipper, Hendrickson rear bogie, 5177 WY.
I had two VERY happy years with that motor. :smiley:

Stanfield:
Right then lads how many of you can remember these in the 50s/60s the coal men from yorkshire.

I am hoping that some of your drivers can remember these trucks■■?

Ragamuffin is searching for photos of Oldfields that worked out of Micklefield. I photographed these tippers in 1990 in a small yard in Micklefield, but there were no signs on the buildings or liveries on the trucks to identify them. The old pit in the village had closed by this time, but places like Allerton Bywater were still active. Perhaps someone out there can help.

Thanks

Barry/Gloves

H i Barry.
The Fodens look like ex Sellers & Kents motors,take a look on the Peak District thread there is some on there.Here’s one that Larry Dunbar owned looks the same

Correct, It was an Ex Sellers & Kent motor, New to Lewis Bros Ltd, Then Braithwates, Then Tilcon, Then Sellers & Kent, Then L.S.Dunbar, Then Brian Patterson from Perth, This was a great bit of gear, Regards Larry.

A write up about Peter Slater’s in the July edition of Heritage Commercial, quite a few photos as well plus memories from two of his ex mechanics who are now in there 80s.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Correct, It was an Ex Sellers & Kent motor, New to Lewis Bros Ltd, Then Braithwates, Then Tilcon, Then Sellers & Kent, Then L.S.Dunbar, Then Brian Patterson from Perth, This was a great bit of gear, Regards Larry.

Who parked that Foden ? don’t think it was Larry ! must have been an Agency drivers eh! Cheers Dennis.

19059600_300650483692898_8748562917863656950_n.jpg

gloves:

Stanfield:
Right then lads how many of you can remember these in the 50s/60s the coal men from yorkshire.

I am hoping that some of your drivers can remember these trucks■■?

Ragamuffin is searching for photos of Oldfields that worked out of Micklefield. I photographed these tippers in 1990 in a small yard in Micklefield, but there were no signs on the buildings or liveries on the trucks to identify them. The old pit in the village had closed by this time, but places like Allerton Bywater were still active. Perhaps someone out there can help.

Thanks

Barry/Gloves

Hi Barry ,the green and red could be a ex K & M lorry from Hucknall and the red constructor I think could be ex WH Phillips from wirksworth ?

A great article in Heritage Commercial magazine this month on Peter Slater told by two of his old fitting staff, very interesting it is too.

Pete.