Newbie - new pass class 1 unable to find work in west midlan

trucktruck86:

toby1234abc:
Assad , you need to think outside the box , here is my top tip , go to the DVSA website and look for the applications and decisions pages , it will list all the one man band hauliers and smaller operators and their address , Google their phone number or the best way is to drive there and speak to them .
Emails and phone calls to large firms is a waste of time , they ignore emails ,at peak times forget it .

100% this. As a fully time served pointy shoed traffic office dictator, more people need to do this. 90% of companies will tell you to go away, but 10% will give you a chance if they have a space and you pass the attitude test.

Couple of tips.

We don’t expect a suit and tie, but don’t turn up looking like an utter tramp. Clean and presentable pair of jeans and a polo shirt (or similar) will make the difference. Our vehicles are very expensive, if you cant look after your own clothes or personal hygiene, how are you going to look after our vehicles/trailers and loads.

Wear a high vis and bring a pair of safety boots. other than 1 man bands or really small operators, you are required to wear them on 99% of sites nowadays and it will see you thrown off site before you even get to my office. Once again, your 10 year old vis and/or boots covered in copious stains and falling apart are not helping you.

Bring your bloody licence/digi card/ADR & some sort of CV. You are a professional driver, if you don’t turn up with the basics we need to prove you can drive, you aint getting a job. You would be utterly surprised the amount that don’t bring these.

Possibly not valid for you (as you are new), drivers love to talk and the industry is sometimes smaller than you think. We will find out if you were an idiot at your previous job. We also know how to use social media and its not unknown for us to check you out.

Many thanks for your help regarding this topic and shading your knowledge and experience with me. I have taken everything on board and will be visiting transport companies with the c.v. I totally agree about sending a c.v as most companies wont even both with them. Thankyou so much for sharing this info with me. I will make a list and then go down in person. You given some really important advice here and it shows your wealth of experience.
Many thanks guys

sammym:

Asad_uk:
Thanks mate, I will definitely apply online if I can. Otherwise I’ll drive down on monday and hand my c.v in

Thanks

You won’t get on site at hams hall. Security will turn you away. Zero chance of them letting a job seeker walk into the transport office.

When I was there getting a job was next to impossible. Blokes spent years on the agency there.

Dead man’s boots unfortunately. Work is easy, home every day and paid £15ph day rate plus o/t rate of around £21.50. Highly unionised so you don’t get dumped on from above, one for all and all for one…that kind of thing

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Hi Asad & Hi All

I am also in the same predicament as you, waiting for my 6months so that I can apply. & it its such a coincidence I am also from West Midlands and I applied for Tesco and then failed at reversing as it was the first time I drove again after passing. I am a new pass… After my Tesco assessment I had two shifts at an agency before the coronavirus took over in which I practised my reversing so I’ve got the hang of it now it just takes a bit of experience and getting used to that is all so dont let that worry you

I just wanted to let you know if you haven’t found work already that I have found work with a company called TLP haulage in Birmingham. It is tramping work and I am doing it for the experience as I believe it really helps & this way you can network with more drivers to see if anything else is available. Do try them and best of luck with your search

Greenbird3:
Hi Asad & Hi All

I am also in the same predicament as you, waiting for my 6months so that I can apply. & it its such a coincidence I am also from West Midlands and I applied for Tesco and then failed at reversing as it was the first time I drove again after passing. I am a new pass… After my Tesco assessment I had two shifts at an agency before the coronavirus took over in which I practised my reversing so I’ve got the hang of it now it just takes a bit of experience and getting used to that is all so dont let that worry you

I just wanted to let you know if you haven’t found work already that I have found work with a company called TLP haulage in Birmingham. It is tramping work and I am doing it for the experience as I believe it really helps & this way you can network with more drivers to see if anything else is available. Do try them and best of luck with your search

Many thanks buddy. I’ve sent you a PM

Asad , I am not sure if there is a Gregory distribution depot in Sutton Coldfield or not , but if there is , they take on new passes , good luck .

toby1234abc:
Asad , I am not sure if there is a Gregory distribution depot in Sutton Coldfield or not , but if there is , they take on new passes , good luck .

Hi Toby, I did contact Gregory’s in minworth a few weeks ago but they were not looking for any drivers
But will call them again.

The problem is the firms who usually take on new passes cant due to the 2 meter distance rule as you usually go out with an experienced driver for a few days or a week first. Until this 2 meter rule is relaxed or some sort of measures are put in they cant take anyone on.

But I will give gregory a call tomorrow and will update thanks

toby1234abc:

Hi Toby, I did contact Gregory’s in minworth a few weeks ago but they were not looking for any drivers
But will call them again.

The problem is the firms who usually take on new passes cant due to the 2 meter distance rule as you usually go out with an experienced driver for a few days or a week first. Until this 2 meter rule is relaxed or some sort of measures are put in they cant take anyone on.

But I will give gregory a call tomorrow and will update thanks

If you are thinking about going on boxes, you could try Maritime. They have depots throughout England, so there’s bound to be one near you. Easy peasy work (deep sea boxes). The only interaction you have with the load is usually just opening and shutting the back doors and occasionally sliding the trailer backwards and forwards if you have a 20’ on board.

I got my first Class 1 Job with a bit of luck on the day I passed the test. I had been speaking to the instructor and he said just call, tell them you are a class 1 driver and ask to speak to the person who hires drivers (it’s not always the transport manager/office). I made a list of all the hauliers I could find within a 30 mile radius and made about 20 calls. This was just before lockdown so many were already reducing operations but I managed to get a positive response from a couple and a job from 1.

I agree fully with the posters further up, online applications and emails rarely get responses. A phone call and/or a personal visit shows initiative and willing. I do realise I have probably been super lucky but if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone!

Good luck

tippers_kiwi:
I got my first Class 1 Job with a bit of luck on the day I passed the test. I had been speaking to the instructor and he said just call, tell them you are a class 1 driver and ask to speak to the person who hires drivers (it’s not always the transport manager/office). I made a list of all the hauliers I could find within a 30 mile radius and made about 20 calls. This was just before lockdown so many were already reducing operations but I managed to get a positive response from a couple and a job from 1.

I agree fully with the posters further up, online applications and emails rarely get responses. A phone call and/or a personal visit shows initiative and willing. I do realise I have probably been super lucky but if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone!

Good luck

Many Thanks mate for your reply and advice.
After 3 months of waiting I have finally got work through an agency at EV cargo. I had an assessment yesterday which I passed and tomorrow I’m on the road. Does anyone have any experience working for EV cargo /NFT in Daventry. What I’ve been told so far is they serve Asda so it seems its all RDC and NDC work which is probably a good way to get experience. Just hope I don’t end up with 15 hour shifts lol.

Really good to hear you’ve got a start. And, in the current circumstances, I think it’s been remarkably quick. You must write off 3 months for the lockdown (and a bit more before anything gets back to normal).

You’ll get used to 15 hour shifts. It comes with the territory with a few exceptions.

Take care and have fun, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Really good to hear you’ve got a start. And, in the current circumstances, I think it’s been remarkably quick. You must write off 3 months for the lockdown (and a bit more before anything gets back to normal).

You’ll get used to 15 hour shifts. It comes with the territory with a few exceptions.

Take care and have fun, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Many thanks Pete and thanks for the heads up. My very 1st shift I done 14.5 hours and blind side reverse onto the last bay in the corner. I dont know how i managed it. They don’t have any mercy to newbies on their 1st day do they.