New Speed Limits

The national speed limits for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes, travelling on a single carriageway increased from 40mph to 50mph. The speed limit for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes, travelling on dual carriageways increased from 50mph to 60mph

So why do companies still govern engine to 56mph?

56? …Ours is 53.
All in a days work/paid by hour/don’t care :bulb:

max I ever got out of my DAF LF was 55mph however oddly had light on dash and tacho say overspeed last Friday. From Farham had to go to Rigate deliver 1 1.5t digger to a farm in a village near then exchange an 0.8t digger for a 1.5t digger then go to SE7 Blackheath London pick up another 1.5t digger, most of the day returning to Farham stuck on the biggest car parking lot the M25 and then toe to toe on the A3 trying to get to the A31 Hogs back as they closed it thursday because the road had melted lol

Because it’s all to do with European laws. 90km/h = 56mp/h

goshow:

Would that change after brexit?

Nope. All Euro law is being enshrined to U.K. Law. Nothing will change.

As I recall, there’s a fuel efficency argument for limiting to 56.

I read somewhere that after Brexit the km will be banned, so our limit will be at 90mph not 90 kilometers.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
I read somewhere that after Brexit the km will be banned, so our limit will be at 90mph not 90 kilometers.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

You wish can i get some of the tablets your on.

It is curious why they increased the speed limit to 60mph for vehicles that must be fitted to a speed limiter that only allows 56mph. I wonder if the higher speed limit was at the request of the police so as they could operate their snooper lorries in a more comfortable legal framework. The police always need a reason to exceed the speed limit and I’m not so sure if breaking the speed limit just so you could take a peak in the cab of another lorry on the off chance they may be doing something wrong was all that valid ?

a bit off topic - i recently asked the SNP regarding the 40mph speed limit in Scotland, and the response was there is no plans to change it.

Captain Caveman 76:
As I recall, there’s a fuel efficency argument for limiting to 56.

I seem to remember that it was that reason.

The speed limit for trucks has been 60mph on motorways for as long as I’ve been driving. When Europe introduced the speed limiters they were set at 56mph (90kmh) as that was the average speed limit for trucks on motorways throughout Europe.
There was no point in the UK changing the law as the new limiters were set below our maximum limit. Changing laws costs money and there was no point.
It does at least allow legal over runs down hills up to 60mph, even though your tacho will flag up an overspeed over 56mph.
The police have dispensation to exceed the speed limit in the trucks they use as it’s necessary to carry out their duties, and lets be honest, anybody who doesn’t notice a solo unit catching them up rapidly needs to be paying more attention.

In Scotland its 40 on S.C. but you can do 50 mph on the A9.with the average speed cameras.No body heeds the 40 mph though.

My limiter has a purpose I believe.
Haven’t a clue what it is as I get payed by the hour. Let tippers past. And generally enjoy a chilled trundle at the pace that suits my mood of the day…

bertiebus:
My limiter has a purpose I believe.
Haven’t a clue what it is as I get payed by the hour. Let tippers past. And generally enjoy a chilled trundle at the pace that suits my mood of the day…

Back on hourly pay from next week, been practicing the art of chilled driving for the last month in preparation, been salary for the last 5yrs ! Been doing alot of taking breaks other than on premises too, life has been somewhat slower and I wasn’t a flat stick merchant to begin with !!

Not exactly news. These have been in effect for some time.

alamcculloch:
In Scotland its 40 on S.C. but you can do 50 mph on the A9.with the average speed cameras.No body heeds the 40 mph though.

It seems nobody heeds the 50 on the A9 either , i stick it at 85kms on the cruise and it doesnt usually take long for one of Stevens or Riddels motors to be shoving me up the road

goshow:

and no doubt fuel economy,but then i’m no expert

As mentioned may times, what’s the point of a 60 mph limit with a speed limiter set at 56 or lower ?
Different over here of course, my limiter is set at 65 mph but that’s only because I have to drive in Canada now and then and it’s a legal requirement when crossing the border.

These aren’t new I’m sure the increase on the single and dual carriageways from last April. As for the 60mph on motorways we can legally go up to 60mph on Uk roads however all trucks need to be limited to 90kmh by EU law which we are apart of and most likely still adopt these laws when out of the EU. I’ve been told even still trucks are limited to 56mph when going downhill you will most likely go over hence the Lee-way of 4mph. Otherwise we’d all be done for speeding when we go downhill. Also being limited to 56mph(90kph) isn’t an eco thing as the sweet spot is generally at 85kph 52mph.