New FH spotted in BC

I think they got them last year some time mate, they are version 2 FHs, I’ll ask the editor of the rag I write for about them, haven’t seen anything since the announcement that they were over here.

They must have got them before that because I used to see them a lot when I worked for my last company and that was two years ago. No one I know has seen them out and about for what must be at least a year now and they used to be a common sight between Toronto and Montreal so I imagine they’ve got rid of them or at least parked them up.

hi robinhood its steve if canada/usa let euro trucks in m8 f/liner/peterbilt/kw/international will find it hard to stay afloat after about 5yrs m8 l.o.l im starting on p.c. hamilton girvan scotland running italy see how it goes . got nice 580 scania probably back there sept after holidays :smiley:

Steve Jones.
Don’t forget Daf is owned by Paccar who own Peterbilt and Kenworth (take a look at their website) so it would be easy for them to introduce Daf truck models into the US and Canada in the right configuration, in fact they are already running euro engines in todays trucks.
Also Mercedes own Freightliner who use Merc engines in some of their models and if you look around when driving down the Interstates how many Volvos do you see, all conventional models to suit the US market but then they already produce similar versions in europe as do Scania and Mercedes although Scania have already made one unsuccessful foray into the USA so would be very likely be wary of attempting a second time unless the other euro manufacturers were doing well. Volvos are as common as any of the other makes, well liked by their drivers and you don’t tend to see as many of them broken down as they use proven euro technology although the main problems seem to be to do with electronic sensors, and with a 750.000 mile warranty on their auto boxes a lot less hassle than a standard gearbox and clutch.

Yanks don’t like to try anything new. You hear mixed reports of what drivers think of the Volvo not man enough for the job cheap plastic etc although it’s pretty much the same in the Pete I drive. Personally wouldn’t say no to a Volvo a lot more space in them and better for city driving

As you say Yanks resist change but several of our diehards who said they prefered the old long nose Pete’s have all converted to Volvos, not that they had much choice as we are now all volvo but as half are the studio style cab with the big table and seats either side they seem quite happy to be driving them, that along with the quieter cabs and auto boxes.

This lot over here are best summed up by bikers, they spend a bloody fortune on a monstrosity with 60s technology, spend more money retarding the timing to make it sound even worse, cover it in leather and press studs, replace most of the bolt on parts with even more expensive “old school” nonsense like the stupid handlebars. They then dress up like the village people, ride for half an hour (if they don’t break down) then stand around looking hard, talking about how good their antiquated relic is.

Having said that, I loved my old 379 and latterly my 389 flat top custom Pete, the 379 with its animal of a CAT engine is without doubt my favourite lorry of all that I’ve driven and I’ve had more than my fair share of top of the range lorries in my time.

But I bought a Volvo…

It’s a pity Trucknet don’t introduce a LIKE button aka Facebook, Mark as your comments are spot on. Nice to hear you’ve got a Volvvo now.

One of Robert Transport’s hideous looking FH’s was spotted last week by a mate of mine between Montreal and Quebec City, so they are still kicking around after all.

Hideous? Why?

newmercman:
Hideous? Why?

That monstrosity mounted behind the cab. I don’t know if you’ve seen the Robert FH’s in person but that “air kit” truly is an eye sore, in my opinion at least.

I haven’t seen one I’m the flesh, just the press pictures.

Spotted a Mercedes Actros Mega cab 6 wheel rigid box truck yesterday between San Antonio and Laredo Texas, could’nt see the number plate so it might have been Mexican reg I think they have Mercs there.

This was the only Mercedes Actros I’ve seen in the States! It was in Denver CO in June 2010.

I saw this near Sherbrooke, in Quebec, on Friday.

Mystery solved…

I passed the new shape FH today at Hope BC (where First Blood was filmed) it is a test vehicle for Westport, who are tied in with ■■■■■■■ in Gas powered engines, I assume Volvo have a CNG/LNG engine on test. I passed the details to my Editor, so he will no doubt investigate.

I can tell you one thing though, it couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, it was pulling a tandem 40ft skelly and as its a 4x2 unit it could only be around 30ton gross and my little 455 left it standing pulling up the hill from Hope to the split for highways 3 and 5 from Hope and we were both doing 100km/h at the bottom of the climb.

Here’s a photo I took of the mythical beast.

newmercman:
Mystery solved…

I passed the new shape FH today at Hope BC (where First Blood was filmed) it is a test vehicle for Westport, who are tied in with ■■■■■■■ in Gas powered engines, I assume Volvo have a CNG/LNG engine on test. I passed the details to my Editor, so he will no doubt investigate.

I can tell you one thing though, it couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, it was pulling a tandem 40ft skelly and as its a 4x2 unit it could only be around 30ton gross and my little 455 left it standing pulling up the hill from Hope to the split for highways 3 and 5 from Hope and we were both doing 100km/h at the bottom of the climb.

To be fair only 12 litres is always going to be borderline.But the figures look reasonable enough.The question is why are they using old tech indirect injection when they could be using direct injection just like the diesel system. :confused:

truckinginfo.com/article/sto … x12-g.aspx

brc.it/en/auto-ad-iniezione- … iquido.asp

I don’t think the Volvo had a ■■■■■■■ under the cab, the bits I could see looked green, not red. That article also mentions the ISX12G being in Paccar vehicles and operating out of Washington, the decal on the Volvo was Westport Canada. You have to remember that ■■■■■■■ engineering department is like the Porsche of the truck industry, they do a lot of work for other manufacturers, every US manufacturer still offer ■■■■■■■ engines from the factory too, so they all still get along. They are the pioneers of alternative fuels over here through their tie up with Westport, so it makes sense that Volvo would go to them to adapt a Volvo engine as they have done all the groundwork already.

As for the capacity, 12 litres is ample for the type of operation that would likely use a gas powered truck, grocers making store deliveries, drayage around the ports etc. Although Bison Transport do have a few gas powered Pete day cabs trunking turnpike sets up and down between Calgary and Edmonton, these fuel at the Flying J at Calgary, which has a gas refueling station, there’s no counterpart in Edmonton though. Vedder Transport in BC also have a gas powered fleet of Petes that haul refuse from Vancouver area into local landfills, quite a departure from their core business of food grade tankers.

I’ve been saying it for ages on here the change from diesel to alternative gas technology really is a no brainer.It’s cheaper and cleaner.The only question really is what’s taking them so long to optimise its use as there’s no real reason as to why a gas fuelled engine shouldn’t be able to perform as good as a diesel.I’ll watch the topic with interest and hopefully you’ll be able to get some more info as to what Volvo are doing and why their effort seems to be under performing.

autoblog.com/2013/03/21/us-t … s-cng-lpg/