My training Diary

There are ways of making the truck “go” at roundabouts and junctions. I presume it’s auto. Get your instructor to explain.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
There are ways of making the truck “go” at roundabouts and junctions. I presume it’s auto. Get your instructor to explain.

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

yes it’s an automatic. I’ll ask on Monday when I’m back on training but if u have any tips that would be great

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ask your instructor first. Don’t want to cause any confusion.

Peter Smythe:
Ask your instructor first. Don’t want to cause any confusion.

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

ok then cheers

Day 4

Late start today 10AM
We started the day in the yard practising the reversing manoeuvre. a couple of goes and i have it down. we were asked if we wanted more practice as there will be no more time before test tomorrow. i am happy i can do it tomorrow without a hitch.

out on the road and I’m driving first (for a change). i had a good drive through Stockton and up to Darlington. no problems at all. again we are practising test routes and it was at a busy roundabout i first messed up. dam i really struggle finding that gap to get out.

If i fail tomorrow it will on a roundabout. after speaking to my instructor it seems the truck does struggle with the gears. it will often drop down to 3rd and not go down any further.

but the rest of the day went by without a hitch. we did some Module 4 questions on the occasional breaks.

at the end of the day though i think I’m about as ready as I’m going to get.

A really early start in the morning as we start at 6. If anybody has any final tips I’d appreciate them.

Best advice is to try and relax and get a good night’s sleep.

Best of luck!

just a quick good luck to Indigo who is also on his test today.

Good luck today :slight_smile:

Hope it goes to plan.

Good luck, also curious to know how your buddy has gotten on.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Well what a day. Very tense and emotional

6AM start and as i was on test first i got to choose who drove first this morning. i chose second.
my buddy drove us up to Darlington and through a smaller test route.
After we swapped over and I had my practice run. No problems at all so we went to the test center.

first up it is my Mod 4. I was asked many questions. i won’t go through which ones as they are all available on the web. But at the end of it all i passed with a 95% score.

Now onto the reverse. First thing is as there are 2 tests on at the same time the artic gets to line up straight for the cones and the rigid has to come in from the right. Artic goes first and i hang back until they are done. so i drive upto the cones and land about a foot away from the left cone. no big deal i can do this. so i turn my wheels and start my reverse. No problems getting round and im now reversing back towards the box. I stopped just shy of the box so i had to get back in and go back a bit further.

With that done we head out onto the roads.
First up we get to a set of traffic lights and i swear they adjusted them so i would be waiting an age for my green light. but eventually i get my green and we’re off.
Heading into the busy town center at rush hour. Not good and my first fault is around hear. i was heading up a road with parked cars on either side and still traffic on the other side of the road. so i ease my way up the road and i get along side a bus going the other way. just as the front of my truck is in line with the bus’s rear wheels a lollipop man stick his head and sign out from behind the bus.
Well i was convinced id failed at that point. i kept driving. i would have had to slam my brakes and although i wasn’t going very fast it would have been more dangerous, i think.
Very early on I’m thinking i have failed but i kept going. i figure that i may as well treat it as practice now.

So a little later I haven’t had much more trouble but I come up to a roundabout I’ve been having trouble with. I had to sit and wait a while for a gap but i got out eventually.

Then I started my independent driving heading for the A1M. not a problem. I followed all the roundabouts and junctions until the examiner told me to turn left. I missed a sign. crap well if I didn’t fail earlier I have now.

that ends my independent driving and its onto the motorway just for one junction then off again and into the industrial estate. no problems through there and no problems through the country lanes either.

Heading back to the test center and we stop at some lights to turn left. I’m about 5 cars back from the lights when the car at the front breaks down. So there I am, I have to indicate right to go around the car and then indicate left to get into the new road.

Now back at the test center and the examiner asks me to switch off the engine. she does some paperwork and turns to me.

Congratulations you have passed.

The best words ever.

so I’d like to thank everyone for the help you have all gave me on here and if my instructor from Cleveland LGV Training reads this, thank you again

CONGRATULATIONS!!! and thank you for the write-up.

Congratulations! Well done

:smiley: :smiley:

mahall1988:

(He is a she! :smiley: )

Well done on the pass, and thanks for sharing your diary with us!

Indigo:

mahall1988:

(He is a she! :smiley: )

Well done on the pass, and thanks for sharing your diary with us!

oops my bad sorry. how did your test go. i hope u passed. you don’t see many female lorry drivers. but those you do see are always very pleasant