Moving to nights, how to adjust body clock?

Governor:
Starting on a new shift in a few weeks which is 5 on 3 off starting 22.30 pm till 09.30 after being on days for past couple of years, what’s best way to adjust to this change, what do you regular night guys do regards, sleep & meals??

Sounds like your in Aldi’s

Once you’ve done one night you’ll be knackered and sleep, simple. That said that shift is crap. 6pm to 6am would be ok, not that I’d do it again.

Governor wrote:
Starting on a new shift in a few weeks which is 5 on 3 off starting 22.30 pm till 09.30 after being on days for past couple of years, what’s best way to adjust to this change, what do you regular night guys do regards, sleep & meals??

Lol, yes that’s right, been on the 0400’s for past 8 months on agency ad hoc so only worked 3/4 days a week, but money’s too good not to go full time, but it’s on the 22.30 start.

Governor:

Governor wrote:

Lol, yes that’s right, been on the 0400’s for past 8 months on agency ad hoc so only worked 3/4 days a week, but money’s too good not to go full time, but it’s on the 22.30 start.

You are right it is a good number and the majority of fella’s in there are as good as gold hope it goes ok. One bonus on nights you wont have to be dealing with the dicks in the car parks like you do on days or the miserable sods in some of the shops.

You are right it is a good number and the majority of fella’s in there are as good as gold hope it goes ok. One bonus on nights you wont have to be dealing with the dicks in the car parks like you do on days or the miserable sods in some of the shops

I did like the challenges of some of the car parks mid morning, Ipswich & gravesend to name two! Lol.

Yeh I know some of the guys on nights, so looking forward to it. Are you in Chelmsford too??

Governor:

Get home around 11am, sleep til '18:00 have dinner around 19:00, then nice quiet traffic for trip to work.

Even better if the job has a decent sized bit of POA/Break in the middle so you can grab a couple of hours at work… :slight_smile:

Pimpdaddy:

Kaistar:
My other half was a diamond when I was on nights before we had kids. Used to get up at silly o’clock to make me a proper meal for when I finished so I didn’t have to have microwaved food.
She sat and had beers with me and when I went to bed she’d come with me.

Sounds like a keeper, lucky you:lol:

24 years now :wink:

I worked at aldi on nights at middleton for 1 year lost 2 stone not Good looked like a rake then left .now still on nights but putting wiehgt back on and pulling same wage aldi is hell it’s not a driving job

I always tried to lie in on the Monday ( which never lasted beyond 10am) potter about for a bit and try to get some rest about 3pm (even just lie with eyes shut helped me). always knackered at end of first shift no matter what.
after that easy just sleep/eat etc like normal then on Saturday I always tried to get about 3 hours kip and then up for sat and sunday as normal days. preferred this to getting up at 3am.

That has gotta be one of the worst finish times I’ve ever seen for ‘nights’! If I were late back and didn’t get home till 7 (20:00 start time back then) I couldn’t settle for a couple of hours after, as the wife was up and getting ready for work etc…if I was asleep by 10am I’d done well but as I didn’t wanna be getting up late in the afternoon (especially summertime) I was getting up at 3pm. If I was to have 6-8 hrs solid kip, I’d be near on having dinner then back to work…bollox to that!

Actrosman:
That has gotta be one of the worst finish times I’ve ever seen for ‘nights’!

The 22.30 start time is alright though, even if your in bed till 7pm at least you still have time in the evening with the family before work. What bugs me about a lot of ‘night’ jobs these days is all this afternoon start time ■■■■■■■■. 4pm - 2am etc. What sort of social/family life are you supposed to have outside of work, when the only time your up & about a home during the week is early afternoon. May as well go away tramping all week and earn some more money.

Governor:

You are right it is a good number and the majority of fella’s in there are as good as gold hope it goes ok. One bonus on nights you wont have to be dealing with the dicks in the car parks like you do on days or the miserable sods in some of the shops

I did like the challenges of some of the car parks mid morning, Ipswich & gravesend to name two! Lol.

Yeh I know some of the guys on nights, so looking forward to it. Are you in Chelmsford too??

I did a few weekends in there last year on agency, know what you mean about Gravesend but the worse place I found was Gillingham could always get in ok but getting out was nigh on impossible once the car park filled up which it always did especially on Sunday’s when I couldn’t believe that people started queueing before opening time for the Sunday specials. LOL!

Governor:

Governor wrote:

I fancy a crack at aldi work, a new rdc just opened local to me but I find the shift pattern a bit too awkward for my lifestyle.

Seems like Aldi and Lidl both seem to work the same. I have similar shifts, 22.30 to whenever, usually around 10.00, it’s certainly not ideal and once I get home and have about 6 hours sleep there seems to be very little time before starting again. Worst bit is driving home, there’s too many bloody lorries on the road at that time in the day :cry: :cry: Best bit is 4on/4off as it gives you nice long breaks :laughing: :laughing:
Strangely enough, I seem to enjoy the job but I really can’t figure out why :confused: :confused:

I done night shift for 13 years , I don’t think you ever get used to it. First night back always a dull one unless you can get few hours before shift , I always used to try stay up for as long as I could then getting up just before shift opposed to straight bed then getting hours before shift and ending up knackered . Night shift is ok in summer months .