Mopeds

Now I’ve finished laughing at you 'ped Harry, I have to admit that I have owned a couple. First one was a 1978 Honda PA50 Camino (pedal start / no indicators / 2 stroke). That was just for fannying around the garden. Very similar to what you have, but with the fuel tank round the crosstube

12 years ago I had this for a few months…well it was £50 and didn’t need much work.

Dragster D50 004 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Depsite it being derestricted and do 90km/h. It could only do that on the flat and was woeful at hauling my fat arse up hills. Had to badger the DVLA as it was down as an ERF 50cc moped when quite clearly it’s an Italjet. Flogged it on for £350.

With that in hand I bought a very good CD250U for commuting duties.

My brother also has a full m/c licence but had a Honda H100S II around the age of 24 which he managed to crash avoiding a Volvo at a junction. He gave up after that, but return to two wheels in his mid forties and bought a brand new 2014 Honda Little Cub (50cc) He lives in Japan and no all that long ago got a speeding ticket on it!

Honda Little Cub 14 (1) by macplaxton, on Flickr

Here’s my latest acquisition. It’s a VeloSolex 1700. It’s French, and was made in 1961. The engine drives the front wheel via a roller.

It hadn’t run for decades when I bought it but it is now, following a thorough clean of the fuel system, new spark plug and cap etc. It’s unusual in that almost all 2-wheelers are gravity-fed whereas with this the fuel tank is lower than the carb and it uses a primitive fuel pump to lift the fuel. The carb also doesn’t have a float bowl, any petrol it doesn’t use just runs back into the tank via the plastic tube that can be seen.

I’ve also deep-cleaned the whole bike and am going to do just the tiniest touch up with paint on parts that have previously been owner re-painted otherwise I’ll leave it as is as I love the patina. Am about to apply to DVLA for a V5C and am hoping to take it to a few shows this year.

Nice ped!

I can go back to laughing again :smiley:

Harry Monk:
Here’s my latest acquisition. It’s a VeloSolex 1700. It’s French, and was made in 1961. The engine drives the front wheel via a roller.

It hadn’t run for decades when I bought it but it is now, following a thorough clean of the fuel system, new spark plug and cap etc. It’s unusual in that almost all 2-wheelers are gravity-fed whereas with this the fuel tank is lower than the carb and it uses a primitive fuel pump to lift the fuel. The carb also doesn’t have a float bowl, any petrol it doesn’t use just runs back into the tank via the plastic tube that can be seen.

I’ve also deep-cleaned the whole bike and am going to do just the tiniest touch up with paint on parts that have previously been owner re-painted otherwise I’ll leave it as is as I love the patina. Am about to apply to DVLA for a V5C and am hoping to take it to a few shows this year.

Quirky?
Iconic?

Whatever, I hope it brings a smile to your face! I guess it will.

Re the registration?
V5C? So it is already UK registered?
A lot easier than a V55/5, that`s for sure. Especially when it gives 2 options…
Left Hand Drive…/…Right Hand Drive !

Enjoy :smiley:

Franglais:

Harry Monk:

Re the registration?
V5C? So it is already UK registered?
A lot easier than a V55/5, that`s for sure.

No, it’s never been UK registered, I’ll be applying to have it UK registered using a V55/5 form and supporting documents. It’s a bit of a PITA but if it goes well I should get a six-digit registration number.

Harry Monk:
[

No, it’s never been UK registered, I’ll be applying to have it UK registered using a V55/5 form and supporting documents. It’s a bit of a PITA but if it goes well I should get a six-digit registration number.

V55/5 looks like a PITA.
Is your`s a RHD or LHD? No other option available! :smiley:

Guess it`s never been French reg either? Another glitch on the form.
But with the www here there will be a route around all the forms.

Years ago I was running down the A2 towards Dover, and on the side of the opposite carriageway was a Jam Sandwich with flashing lights. 3 young lads with Similar VeloSolexes were in conversation with a officer of the Kent Constabulary.
Vaguely surprised they got that far to be honest.

Anyway, good luck with yours.

I completed the V55/5 following the template here.

velosolexclubuk.com/filling … v55-5-form

Just waiting for the Dating Certificate to arrive, then I’ll send the application off.

Harry Monk:
I completed the V55/5 following the template here.

velosolexclubuk.com/filling … v55-5-form

Just waiting for the Dating Certificate to arrive, then I’ll send the application off.

Good stuff. The www is a pain sometimes, but with helpful clubs like that it is a real boon.

Harry Monk:
It’s unusual in that almost all 2-wheelers are gravity-fed whereas with this the fuel tank is lower than the carb and it uses a primitive fuel pump to lift the fuel. The carb also doesn’t have a float bowl, any petrol it doesn’t use just runs back into the tank via the plastic tube that can be seen.

Interesting, my first thought is that having the fuel tabk low at least moves a bit of weight down, given the motor is up so high already with that ‘final drive’ arrangement.

My little Honda ST50, 1970, had it from new. Cost me £153 8s 9d, savings from my paper rounds, Saturday jobs and my first year’s proper wages. Rode it everywhere for the first few years, then found that cars were more convenient for taking girlfriends around in comfort. Laid up in the shed for many years, given a good clean and service, a few new parts and back on the road in 2010 and used regularly ever since. Engine rebuilt once, about five years ago… I’m just waiting for a bit better weather in the new year, then it will be out again. Shame about the van, that one has been sold and the bike doesn’t fit in the Dodge dayvan that replaced it. Can’t take the bike on longer trips without taking the middle seats out…

fodenway:
. Shame about the van, that one has been sold and the bike doesn’t fit in the Dodge dayvan that replaced it. Can’t take the bike on longer trips without taking the middle seats out…

Any Use?

eBay 175460977426

njl:

Harry Monk:
It’s unusual in that almost all 2-wheelers are gravity-fed whereas with this the fuel tank is lower than the carb and it uses a primitive fuel pump to lift the fuel. The carb also doesn’t have a float bowl, any petrol it doesn’t use just runs back into the tank via the plastic tube that can be seen.

Interesting, my first thought is that having the fuel tabk low at least moves a bit of weight down, given the motor is up so high already with that ‘final drive’ arrangement.

I doubt it makes a great deal of difference, the handling on a VeloSolex is truly awful. If you took both hands off of the handlebars while travelling, you would be horizontal on the tarmac spitting out teeth within a second or two. A normal bicycle is both safer and faster. But that’s not the point. :stuck_out_tongue:

Franglais:

fodenway:
. Shame about the van, that one has been sold and the bike doesn’t fit in the Dodge dayvan that replaced it. Can’t take the bike on longer trips without taking the middle seats out…

Any Use?

eBay 175460977426

Nah, the Dodge has a moulded plastic bumper cover/skirt that would need partially cutting away, plus the spare wheel and its’ bulky bracket is on the rear door. I used to carry a big motocross bike on such a carrier across the back of my old Chevelle back in the early eighties, no problem.

I bought one for £200 from a woman who worked in the shop next door. Just for getting to work and back but kept falling off it :blush:
Wierd thing was I had a bikes too but couldn’t get the feet on the floor thing with the moped :laughing: