MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

fryske:

Bewick:

carryfast-yeti:

Bewick:
As a matter of interest I wonder just how many Atkinson Borderers were built with the RR engine, I know Dobsons of Edinburgh ( Rylands Group) ran some but I never could recall any others, well at least not hauliers, but no doubt there were some big own account fleets that were tempted on price ! Cheers Bewick.

the ‘Mines Rescue’ Borderer on You Tube has a RR engine Dennis.i wonder if the Coal Board had a fleet of them?

I believe the Mines Rescue Atky was a special “one off” and Brian has given it a good name “Lonesome George” :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

IIRC it has a 42 tonne plate too - and very stiff springs!

I reckon this Atky was classed as a Special type and probably was classed as a “Heavy Locomotive” and not taxed or tested ! Which I suppose was fair enough owing to the job it had to do from time to time when miners lives were in jeopardy . Cheers Bewick.

This was a smooth little Atki 32ton gvw 150 LX/DB6:600/Kirkstall BDR would do 9MPG running at 32 ton.

On ebay this week

af8.jpg

Spotted this in Middleton Manchester a couple of days ago.

16195349_1260864163952997_5222321413238215998_n[1].jpg

I had the privilege to be allocated one of these great stonebreakers while with Elgin transport there were 3 in the tipper fleet MSP 117 /8/9 P they had the 220 ■■■■■■■ and had Jennings sleeper conversions I just loved it …it could pull and keep up a decent speed all day and it held its own against the more modern ones in the fleet
I,ve only seen one photo from that era its on “Scottish truck photos” but if anyone has one post it up please !!!

Bewick:
0This was a smooth little Atki 32ton gvw 150 LX/DB6:600/Kirkstall BDR would do 9MPG running at 32 ton.

Here you are Dennis, one of the very first 180s built, averaged over 10 mpg for many periods, 1,100,000 miles in service on the original engine (one overhaul), gearbox and clutch and, to this day, even has the original Hardy Spicer couplings on the propshaft! Having the same driver for the entire period must have helped, of course.
Atkinson Silver Knight GBV 759E by Chris Gardner, on Flickr
GBV 759E Atkinson T3046XB by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

240 Gardner:

Bewick:
0This was a smooth little Atki 32ton gvw 150 LX/DB6:600/Kirkstall BDR would do 9MPG running at 32 ton.

Here you are Dennis, one of the very first 180s built, averaged over 10 mpg for many periods, 1,100,000 miles in service on the original engine (one overhaul), gearbox and clutch and, to this day, even has the original Hardy Spicer couplings on the propshaft! Having the same driver for the entire period must have helped, of course.
Atkinson Silver Knight GBV 759E by Chris Gardner, on Flickr
GBV 759E Atkinson T3046XB by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

Nice bit of info there Chris, I recall I also saw the first 180’s in '67 when I was down in South Wales on the Brady Octopus and trailer, those S. Wales hauliers would have also been some of the first to get their hands on the new 180LXB Atkis. We still used to fly past them up the M5 in the 680 Plus :wink: Regards Dennis.

Bewick:

Ah, but they’d pas you again when you kept stopping for fuel, Dennis!

240 Gardner:

Bewick:

Ah, but they’d pas you again when you kept stopping for fuel, Dennis!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth:

Stanfield:
Spotted this in Middleton Manchester a couple of days ago.

They were regulars at Trinity Paper Mills Holcombe Ramsbottom loading reels of paper out along side Hinchcliffes and Richard Nuttalls to name a few

This is the first diesel atkinson, it had a dorman engin so it must be a MK1, unless the steemers were MK1’s ?

22.jpg

Kennyjohnson wrote: This is the first diesel atkinson, it had a dorman engin so it must be a MK1, unless the steemers were MK1’s ?

The Mk I term related to the cab rather than the vehicle, the Mk I cab was the first fibreglass panelled cab Atkinson built, however when the taller Mk II came along it did confuse things as there had been a change from single headlight to double during the Mk I era, normally any manufacturer that made major design changes to an original would term that as a Mk II or even Mk IA, this doesn’t seem to have happened in this case and has lead to confusion between the two Marks, often the Mk I cab with double headlights are mistakenly called Mk II’s, the quick clue is in the radiator casting. These fine Riding tractors show the differences. Franky.

Atkinson Mk I cab single headlight

Atkinson Mk I cab Double headlight

Atkinson Mk II cab

Frankydobo:
Kennyjohnson wrote: This is the first diesel atkinson, it had a dorman engin so it must be a MK1, unless the steemers were MK1’s ?

The Mk I term related to the cab rather than the vehicle, the Mk I cab was the first fibreglass panelled cab Atkinson built, however when the taller Mk II came along it did confuse things as there had been a change from single headlight to double during the Mk I era, normally any manufacturer that made major design changes to an original would term that as a Mk II or even Mk IA, this doesn’t seem to have happened in this case and has lead to confusion between the two Marks, often the Mk I cab with double headlights are mistakenly called Mk II’s, the quick clue is in the radiator casting. These fine Riding tractors show the differences. Franky.
Atkinson Mk I cab single headlight
Atkinson Mk I cab Double headlight
Atkinson Mk II cab

Great shots of a great firm Franky but I think your explanation can be refined a little further as you quite rightly identify the last shot as being a MK11 but it was also the shorter WB of 9’ 6" which was increased to 10’ 8" in circa 1970, possibly to accommodate the 8LXB, no doubt Mr G will be able to enlighten us further ! Cheers Bewick.

is this a later type bumper on fathers mk2 ? I am sure it came with a chrome one ?