Mild depression

Before I start I aint judging or commenting directly on any of the guys who are taking all this stuff on here. :bulb:

Due to my nature (and rightly or wrongly) Iā€™ve never been a sympathetic ā€˜ā€˜give you a cuddleā€™ā€™ type of guy, more of a ā€˜ā€¦ā€˜Ffs sort yourself outā€™ā€™ type, but everyoneā€™s different eh?

In my own experience Iā€™ve had some sh periods in my life but always managed to brush myself offā€¦and it does not make me any better or worse than anyone else btw.
I fully accept that. :bulb:

Iā€™ve been on my arse many times in my life the same as the rest of you, but including a bankrupt business (not directly my fault either tbf) no money, lost house, lost car (but with a great wife who stuck by me :sunglasses: )with 4 young kids to bring up, and it aint no fun believe me. :neutral_face:
I just as I said brushed it off (or pretended to anyway for the benefit of those around me) and tried my best to make many sh negatives into one positive, and never even dreamed of turning to prescription (or otherwise) drugs, or worse going into the woods with a shotgun ā€¦like a few others in similar situations have.
So personally I tend to measure things up against that situation as a yardstick, and find it hard to comprehend why others can not do the sameā€¦Itā€™s just the way I am, canā€™t help it.
Sounds bloody harsh but you canā€™t help the way you think can you?
Having said that if I see mates in certain crap situations, but who are trying to help themselves instead of seeking sympathy, Iā€™m in there like a shot helping them, Iā€™ve lots of time for those who help themselves.
Apologies for being hard, and bring on the ā– ā– ā– ā–  storm of abuse. :blush: :smiley:

robroy:
Before I start I aint judging or commenting directly on any of the guys who are taking all this stuff on here. :bulb:

Due to my nature (and rightly or wrongly) Iā€™ve never been a sympathetic ā€˜ā€˜give you a cuddleā€™ā€™ type of guy, more of a ā€˜ā€¦ā€˜Ffs sort yourself outā€™ā€™ type, but everyoneā€™s different eh?

In my own experience Iā€™ve had some sh periods in my life but always managed to brush myself offā€¦and it does not make me any better or worse than anyone else btw.

Iā€™ve been on my arse many times in my life the same as the rest of you, but including a bankrupt business (not directly my fault either tbf) no money, lost house, lost car (but with a great wife who stuck by me :sunglasses: )with 4 young kids to bring up, and it aint no fun believe me. :neutral_face:
I just as I said brushed it off (or pretended to anyway for the benefit of those around me) and tried my best to make many sh negatives into one positive, and never even dreamed of turning to prescription (or otherwise) drugs, or worse going into the woods with a shotgun ā€¦like a few others in similar situations have.
So personally I tend to measure things up against that situation as a yardstick, and find it hard to comprehend why others can not do the sameā€¦Itā€™s just the way I am, canā€™t help it.
Having said that if I see mates in certain crap situations, but who are trying to help themselves instead of seeking sympathy, Iā€™m in there like a shot helping them, Iā€™ve lots of time for those who help themselves.
Apologies for being hard, and bring on the [zb] storm of abuse. :blush: :smiley:

You are not hard to have never suffered to the point of seeking help, you are just very very lucky.

robroy:

Apologies for being hard, and bring on the [zb] storm of abuse. :blush: :smiley:

Hi robroy

Clearly you had a hard time and itā€™s great you were able to work it out yourself, much to your credit. However not every can and thereā€™s nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it.

Do not listen to the type of idiot who says get a grip etc.
And honestly 20mg is a low dose ,Life time sufferer who never takes pills any more ,They caused me more grief than the prat who says man up .
Diet helps plenty of fruit bananas and greens .
All the best

Robroy, you need to remember that clinical depression of the kind treated with anti-depressants isnā€™t something brought on by having a crap life, itā€™s a chemical imbalance in the brain - an actual medical condition which can be proven by science. Just as some people need asthma medication or diabetes treatment, so others need their serotonin levels correcting. Some people can fall down a flight of stairs and survive, others might break their neck as their bones arenā€™t so strong. But whatever happens neither can think or talk themselves into that situation. Itā€™s just the way their bodies are.

Sometimes an increase in background stress can make the chemical deficit more apparent, and therefore elevate a problem the patient hasnā€™t previously noticed to a point where he can no longer cope. Thatā€™s just like different people having different pain thresholds, where one personā€™s agony might be anotherā€™s little scratch. Again though, no amount of effort will change what is being felt, thatā€™s down to chemicals in our bodies and their effect on our nervous system and brains.

There is a school of thought, incidentally, that Neurology and Psychiatry should be brought together as a single specialty, as both involve physical problems in the brain. My own situation is a great illustration of that - I am under a neurologist as I have a brain disease, Multiple Sclerosis. One of itā€™s effects is to disrupt serotonin levels which in turn means I take an anti-depressant to correct that. I can even show you the exact bit of damage inside my skull which causes the problem on an MRI scan, and no amount of ā€œpulling myself togetherā€ or similar will fix that little lesion, it is a physical hole in the white matter of my brain.

As has been said above, if youā€™ve never needed help coping in hard times itā€™s not because youā€™re hard, or stronger than other people, itā€™s because you are lucky. Lucky to have naturally well-balanced chemicals in your brain. It really is that simple.

Lucy:
Robroy, you need to remember that clinical depression of the kind treated with anti-depressants isnā€™t something brought on by having a crap life, itā€™s a chemical imbalance in the brain - an actual medical condition which can be proven by science. Just as some people need asthma medication or diabetes treatment, so others need their serotonin levels correcting. Some people can fall down a flight of stairs and survive, others might break their neck as their bones arenā€™t so strong. But whatever happens neither can think or talk themselves into that situation. Itā€™s just the way their bodies are.

Sometimes an increase in background stress can make the chemical deficit more apparent, and therefore elevate a problem the patient hasnā€™t previously noticed to a point where he can no longer cope. Thatā€™s just like different people having different pain thresholds, where one personā€™s agony might be anotherā€™s little scratch. Again though, no amount of effort will change what is being felt, thatā€™s down to chemicals in our bodies and their effect on our nervous system and brains.

There is a school of thought, incidentally, that Neurology and Psychiatry should be brought together as a single specialty, as both involve physical problems in the brain. My own situation is a great illustration of that - I am under a neurologist as I have a brain disease, Multiple Sclerosis. One of itā€™s effects is to disrupt serotonin levels which in turn means I take an anti-depressant to correct that. I can even show you the exact bit of damage inside my skull which causes the problem on an MRI scan, and no amount of ā€œpulling myself togetherā€ or similar will fix that little lesion, it is a physical hole in the white matter of my brain.

As has been said above, if youā€™ve never needed help coping in hard times itā€™s not because youā€™re hard, or stronger than other people, itā€™s because you are lucky. Lucky to have naturally well-balanced chemicals in your brain. It really is that simple.

That is what you look for in foods ,Natural serotonin .
Great post .

Lucy:

Ok Lucy, thanks for pointing out the situation to me in finer detail.
It wasnā€™t my intention to either come across as Mr Cool nor offend anybody, I was just chucking in my opinions and experiences into the mix. :bulb:

Iā€™ve heard that Multiple Sclerosis is s pretty crap situation to be in, I donā€™t know you either, but after reading a lot of your posts, articles and experiences you definitely do not come across as somebody who is wallowing in it, but more of the type I mentioned beforeā€¦ie. helping yourself and just cracking on with it regardless. :sunglasses:

Iā€™ve always been the type of guy who just takes stuff in his stride (not talking medical conditions here btw) and never understood why others can not be as resilent, just the way I am, but hey! maybe as you and others have commented, maybe I have just been a bit lucky eh?

No offence taken Rob - I posted because I believe thereā€™s no point getting upset about something someone else unwittingly said, when itā€™s far better to use the energy to educate instead. Someone had to do it for me once upon a time, after all. :wink: :grimacing:

Beetlejuice:
Do not listen to the type of idiot who says get a grip etc.
And honestly 20mg is a low dose ,Life time sufferer who never takes pills any more ,They caused me more grief than the prat who says man up .
Diet helps plenty of fruit bananas and greens .
All the best

Thanks for your help

I donā€™t understand how all you lot are on all these meds.
Iā€™ve been going to the gp for 20 years for chronic pain and fatigue.

They refuse to give me a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  bean. Iā€™ve seen at least 10 different gps, 5 different consultants at the hospital.
I had major spinal surgery at the age of 25 and even after that I was refused pain killers except paracetamol.

Iā€™ve literally sat in the chair in front of a doctor crying in pain, and all they say is have some restā€¦ ffs.

One doctor actually said to me, after asking what medication Iā€™d been taking and I replied none, (purely because I couldnā€™t get any not because I didnā€™t want it) ā€œ well you canā€™t be in that much pain then if you arenā€™t taking painkillersā€ I almost punched her in the face.

No doubt I suffer from depresssion too because of it all, being in constant pain 24/7, but I am now a ā€œget on with itā€ kinda guy as the NHS have been utterly useless and unsympathetic to me for the last 20 odd years.

I was diagnosed with Fybromyalgia (I suspect more to shut me up than anything else though), but again, was refused any medication and just told to deal with it. Yet I see other people with the same diagnosis on huge quantities of drugs.
Donā€™t get me wrong, I donā€™t want to be taking 20 pills a day, but something just to give me a bit of respite wouldnā€™t go amis.

109LWB:

They refuse to give me a [zb] bean. Iā€™ve seen at least 10 different gps, 5 different consultants at the hospital.
I had major spinal surgery at the age of 25 and even after that I was refused pain killers except paracetamol.

Iā€™ve literally sat in the chair in front of a doctor crying in pain, and all they say is have some restā€¦ ffs.

One doctor actually said to me, after asking what medication Iā€™d been taking and I replied none, (purely because I couldnā€™t get any not because I didnā€™t want it) ā€œ well you canā€™t be in that much pain then if you arenā€™t taking painkillersā€ I almost punched her in the face.

No doubt I suffer from depresssion too because of it all, being in constant pain 24/7, but I am now a ā€œget on with itā€ kinda guy as the NHS have been utterly useless and unsympathetic to me for the last 20 odd years.

I was diagnosed with Fybromyalgia (I suspect more to shut me up than anything else though), but again, was refused any medication and just told to deal with it. Yet I see other people with the same diagnosis on huge quantities of drugs.
Donā€™t get me wrong, I donā€™t want to be taking 20 pills a day, but something just to give me a bit of respite wouldnā€™t go amis.

Change your GP.

Beetlejuice:

109LWB:

They refuse to give me a [zb] bean. Iā€™ve seen at least 10 different gps, 5 different consultants at the hospital.

Change your GP.

Read the post, I have many times. Iā€™m not even talking about different gps in the same surgery, this is different surgeryā€™s totally separate from each other.
And you canā€™t change your consultant at the hospital, cos you get who you get, and Iā€™ve seen them all.

I did my medical last year and was on the same 20mg Fluoxetine, passed no bother. Itā€™s seen as a very safe drug

109LWB:

Feel your pain on this I went to my Dr several times over the years about my back was told all sort from just muscle spasms to that the way the spine grows yep right not until a few years ago that went with what I thought was not a lot a small lump on my wrist Dr said something wrong with back never :open_mouth: so asked to be referred to pain management he wasnā€™t sure but ok they sat listened then arranged MRI scan where it showed up fractured back prolapsed disc next a routine of meds physio injections in the back

Yes I still do get pain but due to taking the meds & excersise I mainly manage although it did take 30 years for the Dr to believe me

109LWB:

Beetlejuice:

109LWB:

Change your GP.

Read the post, I have many times. Iā€™m not even talking about different gps in the same surgery, this is different surgeryā€™s totally separate from each other.
And you canā€™t change your consultant at the hospital, cos you get who you get, and Iā€™ve seen them all.

I read your post,Have you had a record of ever taking drugs or any kind of problem with painkillers before ,Sounds a bit suspect to me pal.My doctor hands out pills like Smarties.Perhaps you have a weak liver or something ?And they are protecting you .

Lucy:
Robroy, you need to remember that clinical depression of the kind treated with anti-depressants isnā€™t something brought on by having a crap life, itā€™s a chemical imbalance in the brain - an actual medical condition which can be proven by science.

And yet it rarely is.
If I wanted some SSRIs all I have to do is google what to say to the doctor to be diagnosed with the correct mental illness.
Depression is a real thing I accept it. But I dislike how open to interpretation it is.
I personally think they are overused far too much just like ritalin and prozac was on kids only a few years ago.

Some people has been on SSRIs for 20+ years without any diagnosis other then depression. Thatā€™s insane to me.

Beetlejuice:

109LWB:

Beetlejuice:

109LWB:

Change your GP.

I read your post,Have you had a record of ever taking drugs or any kind of problem with painkillers before ,Sounds a bit suspect to me pal.My doctor hands out pills like Smarties.Perhaps you have a weak liver or something ?And they are protecting you .

Nope, donā€™t really drink, maybe one beer on a Saturday, have never smoked in my life and have never taken any non legal drugs.
Even the odd times I have actually managed to get painkillers,I only take them as and when needed. I still have a small supply of tramadol I got from a friend after my operation in 2011, so Iā€™m hardly addicted to them or anything.

109LWB, have you not tried driving a vehicle with coils (or air) to help you back? :slight_smile:

Not many on here will have a clue what that is aboutā€¦

Talking to a mate once andā€¦

The subject came up concerning stress, fatigue and our own mental health. He just said ā€˜Prozacā€™ and carried on sipping his beer. It occured to me back then and coroborates what Lucy has said that some of us are born lucky with no chemical imbalances and some of us aint.

I used to be in the ā€˜aww pull yerself togetherā€™ team but these days if people need help they should seek it. Itā€™s up to the doctors and healthcare teams to assess what should be prescribed to someone who drives for a living.

yourhavingalarf:
Talking to a mate once andā€¦

The subject came up concerning stress, fatigue and our own mental health. He just said ā€˜Prozacā€™ and carried on sipping his beer. It occured to me back then and coroborates what Lucy has said that some of us are born lucky with no chemical imbalances and some of us aint.

I used to be in the ā€˜aww pull yerself togetherā€™ team but these days if people need help they should seek it. Itā€™s up to the doctors and healthcare teams to assess what should be prescribed to someone who drives for a living.

Sometimes I wish it was that easy & simple but not always the person that need help docent alway know they are depressed or need any help then of Cours it depends where you live to what service are available depends how your Dr reacts like I said it took me 30 years for my Dr to believe me did change my Dr as well as they didnā€™t believe me

I still get it as it never goes away you just learn to live with it & how to deal with it better work & exercise helped me a lot after getting the treatment sorted