Depression

Does anyone know, am I risking loosing my licence by going to the GP with depression?

Don’t think you will because of the actual depression but if he does out you on anti-depressants then you might not be able to drive whilst on them if a side effect is something that makes you drowsy.

Unlikely and if a GP does put you on tablets it will not be ones that make you drowsy. From experience best to go for counselling rather than medication.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Probably best to read the DVLAs guidance on depression and see where you are with that.

gov.uk/guidance/psychiatric … s-to-drive

Should have nothing to worry about…as said before, unless meds make you drowsy.
Doc will advise on this. Guidelines will suggest talking therapies on nhs, if antidepressants dont hit the spot. Whatever you do, don’t suffer in silence.
(In a previous life i worked as a cpn.)
Hope it all gets sorted for you.

A lot will depend on the type of depression.
Basically two types , one is a reaction to your situation and what has been happening in your life .
As others have said counselling or therapies are the best route with medication as a back up .
Seeking help is the biggest step in managing the illness .
The other type is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and is usually controlled by medication .
Take guidance from your GP and counsellor.
Good luck , is does get better with help and a willing attitude.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ask your G.P what he suggests .He won’t put you on strong tabs to start in any case…If i was you i would refuse pills and try diet and excersize first .It does work .
P.s so does a banana (Has natural mood enhancing qualities) a day and vitimin d .

Agree with beetlejuice, im on anti depressants have been for 4 years started on 60mg and have slowly weened myself off down to 20mg a day and soon i am going to do 20mg every other day and so on.
Definitely dont suffer in silence though its a dangerous but easily cured/helped illness!
DVLA know about my medication and it doesnt effect anything, just my dodgy eye that they are bothered about!
Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Whilst never having suffered from clinical depression as such,every now and again,I get “the blues” :cry: (I suspect that most people do at some time).
For me,St.John’s Wort tablets work a treat,pick me up in a day or so :smiley: …worth a try before hitting the Doc.

By coincidence,one of the better vloggers IMO,C.Jacey has just uploaded this today…
youtube.com/watch?v=A4G9EXooYeQ
Takes real cojones to open up,I don’t know if I could :neutral_face:

I got to the point were I needed to go to my gp for depression. If you feel you gotta get help don’t let you license stop you. He put me on medicine(sertraline) and I’m still on it now. Helped me enormously along with counselling. I told DVLA and was able to carry on working. Don’t deal with it alone. Go and get the help you need. Get well soon mate

Never even mentioned by my doctor when I went with depression,
I was prescribed flutixatine and he was more than happy for me to drive on them…
I’m no longer taking them and now just take St. John’s wort when I feel down.
As regards the stupid stigma attached to depression my doc said it’s just another part of your body that ain’t working right and I’m giving you medicine to fix it just like I would any other illness

yorkshire terrier:
I was prescribed flutixatine and he was more than happy for me to drive on them…
As regards the stupid stigma attached to depression my doc said it’s just another part of your body that ain’t working right and I’m giving you medicine to fix it just like I would any other illness

Thats the ones i take now and like you say no probs with driving.

tomB94:

yorkshire terrier:

I was told by my doctor to finish the course of 20mg every other day,I did and after about a week I was a wreck,head aches,shivers,sickness and drinking heavily.
I was on holiday at the time and went to a gp in Cornwall who said you never just stop you wean off very slowly 20mg every 2 days for a week then 20mg every 3 days a week and so on for up to 3 months,I did this and was fine…
Just don’t want you to end up with the same symptoms

yorkshire terrier:

tomB94:

yorkshire terrier:

I was told by my doctor to finish the course of 20mg every other day,I did and after about a week I was a wreck,head aches,shivers,sickness and drinking heavily.
I was on holiday at the time and went to a gp in Cornwall who said you never just stop you wean off very slowly 20mg every 2 days for a week then 20mg every 3 days a week and so on for up to 3 months,I did this and was fine…
Just don’t want you to end up with the same symptoms

Thanks for the heads up bud

I think you’d be astonished by the number of people who have this same problem. They all have my sympathy, it must be horrible. It’s not like having a physical injury where everyone can see what’s wrong with you. Instead it must be a very lonely and sometimes scary place to be, and very difficult to admit you have a problem and thereby come to terms with it and seek help.

I’ve been very lucky in that regard. Nothing really bad has ever happened to me, just the usual stuff. You lose your parents, some of us get divorced, sometimes business doesn’t go so well and you wonder what the hell you’re doing. I’ve always been quite happy in my heart though, and I don’t let the b-----d grind me down. Frankly, I don’t give a f–k.
I know, I am a lucky man.

Good luck with it lad, take all the help you can get and I’m sure you’ll be fine.