Middle East - Not Astran!

GS OVERLAND:
Slavonsky Brod autoput ?

Spot on,
Note name of Bus, Crunch,
Bristol were quite proud of fact that most of structure remained intact, only windows at impact point broke, others remained intact, No serious injuries thank god.
I HATED that road in early 70’s, in fact i always HATED it, featureless, boring, always foggy, never anywhere to park, not that really long, but seemed to take forever,
AND Local Plod in a Yugo wanting to see the Tacho, and writing up the Fine before you even got the chart out!!!

Skip

Vosa■■?
who were they??
If you could drag it, then you dragged it
Didnt see that many STGO plates
Or outlandish Fee’s to go ‘Oversize’,
All part of a days work

Skip

skipvitesse:
Vosa■■?
who were they??
If you could drag it, then you dragged it
Didnt see that many STGO plates
Or outlandish Fee’s to go ‘Oversize’,
All part of a days work

Skip

Love those pictures Skip.

As said, the Daf belonged to ‘Ginger’ McNeil and Geoff Collins, always driven by Ginger. I’m sure he would be the one who took that ‘rig’ to Riyadh.

I’m irregularly in contact with Geoff. Last time we spoke was about a year ago, Ginger was still knocking about.

I’ll call him and ask what he remembers about that load.

I loved challenges like that. We would go on the port and take containers from the USA with forty tons in them, beams like that one, any length, Euclid tippers with 10 steps up just to get to the cab. My favourite was one of those. The key had a large tag on it, ‘It’s fun to find out how it works by trial and error, but it’s much cheaper to read the handbook!’ We turned the key and took them back to the yard anyway.

John.

The Londra mocamp was built in about 1970, before that we used to stop at the shell garage before the mocamp, only parking for about 5 lorrys, not so crowded in those days,as I remember in 1970 the only firms doing Pakistan was Rynarts and a swiss firm, then came Simons International.

Austin from the 1950s check out the home made sleeper !

Londra 1970.

Mocamp

On route to pakistan in 1970.

Overland transport Rotterdam to Bombay.
[/quote]

Hi Guys
I thought that you would like to see what the Londra Camp looks like now. Pics taken last week.
What a change…GS

A lot of change. I assume you took that last picture from the ‘new’ footbridge across to Sirin Evler, where the mosque is. Robert

Well that is a change, duel carriageway, any photos of topkapi? and is the pudding shop still there,where all the old hippys wrote on the wall where they wanted to go, trying to get to India, Goa. and the old street known as the street of a thousand ■■■■■■■■.

Well that is a change, duel carriageway, any photos of topkapi? and is the pudding shop still there,where all the old hippys wrote on the wall where they wanted to go, trying to get to India, Goa. and the old street known as the street of a thousand xxxxx.

Hi Robert
Yes, you are correct, on the “new” bridge.
And here are a few of The Pudding Shop and Topkapi etc.

Hi Gavin! Top pics,looks a bit cold thou :smiley:
What were you doing in Istanbul then?

Danne

No hippys there now in the pudding shop and a ashtray outside,they never used to have one inside, ha,ha, they said that is where the rice pudding was invented, very smart there now, but looks like a lot of the atmosphere has gone, like most places, I was talking to a Turkish driver a couple of years ago and he said that it is all motorway to Zarko Iraq and Bazargan Iran, is that true?.

Dirty Dan:
Hi Gavin! Top pics,looks a bit cold thou :smiley:
What were you doing in Istanbul then?

Danne

Hi Danne
I was in transit on my way to Holland to pick up another truck to sell in Doha. Took a day off and visited some of the old haunts. I met up with the lad that used to come to Londra and polish our shoes and run errands. We used to call him “Shoes Abi” he was about 14yrs old last time I saw him, he is 42 now !!
:open_mouth: :open_mouth:
It was cold but I still had a good day.
GS

So you are still at it :smiley: ,how many a year do you do then?

If it doesn’t fit, just park it like Betz! Robert

3077847443_1_3_pAJX2hoa.jpg

Ha Ha…or like George the Greek…!!!

GS OVERLAND:
Ha Ha…or like George the Greek…!!!

:laughing: :laughing:

The old grey cells are letting me down!

Does anyone remember the name of the hotel we used to stay at in Tehran close to Parking Rooseveldt and before we discovered the delights of the Pension Suisse?

I think it was the Sinjar but maybe not!

Anyone who ventured across the sands from H4 to Turaif may be interested in this photo from not too long before -

Reading about the Gloster Gladiator on en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Gladiator#

and found this picture.

The caption is:
Arab Legionnaires guard Gloster Gladiators of No. 94 Squadron RAF at the landing ground at H4 pumping station in Transjordan.

John

Any ideas who this is stuck in the snow at the bottom of Bolu in about 1981. Have put this on the Old Promotors thread also.

Hi Sandway,Looks like this one dosnt? Borrowed from DEANBs LDD thread!

Danne