Microlise telematics

DickyNick:
Who drives for a company that uses this system?

What are your personal views of it?

Discuss

Me. Doesn’t bother me too much. Not overly fussed about the drivers score side of it but from the tracking deliveries the ones I use are set up so you can press a button and it shows a PDF of the risk assessment for the delivery point which has handy information like phone numberts, if its one you need to reverse in, any issues turning round etc, any low bridges en route that you need to be aware of, if you can only get into it a certain way. With the press of another button it fires up Copilot Truck with the address already entered in.

Actually thinking about the drivers score side of it…

Ours used to mark all the drivers down for exceeding the green band. It was pointed out that as the trucks were auto and the new ones had hill descent speed control that this was out of our hands. The green band measuring was removed.

Been using it for around 6 months, Its ok, but find it off putting if you have to brake firmly when coming up to the lights and they change to red, so you end up with a harsh braking message. Now for a brief second you wonder do I go through a red light or get a harsh braking against my score. I find that dangerous.

Ha, i’m agency yet the other day on ‘Microfarce’ scored no:1 out of over 500 drivers (mainly their own guys) the other day… 'kin farce!

They ‘Micro-Analyse’ the drivers but they sure as ■■■■ don’t analyse the rest of the operation such as warehouse staff, planners, shift managers or any other white collar bod…any savings may well be 10 x fold if they analysed a few rungs up the ladder!

Box ticking bunch of ■■■■■… :laughing: :unamused:

Had it on the buses, said I was doing 75mph in the depot. :smiley: :smiley:

Conor:
Ours used to mark all the drivers down for exceeding the green band. It was pointed out that as the trucks were auto and the new ones had hill descent speed control that this was out of our hands. The green band measuring was removed.

I’m not sure where to even start with this. If only there was some kind of professional driver competence syllabus to weed out morons who actually believe this kind of bollox! Firstly. Microlise does not, never has and never will mark down exceeding green band driving when on the overrun, it only marks down for exceeding green band revs whilst under power. I’ve attempted to put that simply so that you can grasp the concept. No matter what you’ve been told (and foolishly believe) that’s the way it works. No ifs or buts. If that’s too hard to grasp then maybe a career in electronics may be the way forward. Oh, hang on a minute…

The second point is aimed at real drivers; if you find that you are getting marked down for over revving your auto the simple solution is to keep your eye on the rev counter as you accelerate and if the revs are creeping towards the upper end you can either (a) lift the throttle slightly which will force an up change, or (b) you can manually intercede with the gear stalk and up change sooner.

the maoster:

Conor:

I’m not sure where to even start with this. If only there was some kind of professional driver competence syllabus to weed out morons who actually believe this kind of bollox! Firstly. Microlise does not, never has and never will mark down exceeding green band driving when on the overrun, it only marks down for exceeding green band revs whilst under power. I’ve attempted to put that simply so that you can grasp the concept. No matter what you’ve been told (and foolishly believe) that’s the way it works. No ifs or buts. If that’s too hard to grasp then maybe a career in electronics may be the way forward. Oh, hang on a minute…

The second point is aimed at real drivers; if you find that you are getting marked down for over revving your auto the simple solution is to keep your eye on the rev counter as you accelerate and if the revs are creeping towards the upper end you can either (a) lift the throttle slightly which will force an up change, or (b) you can manually intercede with the gear stalk and up change sooner.

The top drivers at my place use the cc button to control acceraltion usually anything above 15mph cc is on. That way they get top scores as it shows them using cc majority of the time and they never get marked down for harsh acceraltion.
Personally I think this is s terrible way to drive but microlise loves it.

Why microlise is a joke.

adam277:
Why microlise is a joke.

Another reason why it is bollox is that is only on overspeed when 57mph or over is reached for 60 seconds, so what are you meant to do, drive around at 52mph all the time?

The biggest laugh is excessive idling. So how does ‘microlise’ expect you to build the air up on a air dead trailer with auto box and the red warnings going off transmission failure if you don’t let it idle?

Suppose you have three choices, use the increase cc button up to say 1000 revs or let it idle till the warnings go off or err hire a horse.

Sand Fisher:
So how does ‘microlise’ expect you to build the air up on a air dead trailer with auto box and the red warnings going off transmission failure if you don’t let it idle?

I’ve had this problem. I used to rev a bit. Nothing too harsh, just some gentle encouragement.

Received a C for overrev.

cgscott:

robroy:
Most of the comments just illustrate that the job today is ran by d/heads of the highest order, who know jack [zb] about the job in real terms, but instead live in a world of theory. :bulb:

I went on assesment a while back. Guy who took me out said do not rev over the green indicator on rev counter. Ok i said no problemo.

Was driving around up and down gears without going outside fuel economy area.

Got to a hill in green as instructed just before it went over changed up a gear. The lorrys slowed and i stopped. He said why did you change up gear and not rev it up to get up hill.

I said to him because you stated i wasnt allowed out the fuel economy area on counter. He wasnt amused.

Safe to say i didnt pass so called assesment.

Not that i was arsed. Some amount of robots out there now.

We had some bods over from mercedes recenty givng the third degree about how to drive their vehicles,the correct way.I said to one of the bozos,“essentially,we’re expected to drive them like robots,!..is that what you’re really saying”?..silence…“the problem there old boy,other road users,…they don’t share that philosophy”…I also added,“by the way,when you guys gonna do something about that huge blind spot to my right,known as a mirror,and the other side one that acts as a hedge trimmer”…answer,came their non.

Sand Fisher:
The biggest laugh is excessive idling. So how does ‘microlise’ expect you to build the air up on a air dead trailer with auto box and the red warnings going off transmission failure if you don’t let it idle?

Suppose you have three choices, use the increase cc button up to say 1000 revs or let it idle till the warnings go off or err hire a horse.

There is a fourth choice - let It idle with raised revs via the CC. If pressure still low as you reach two minutes (or whatever time your company has specified as the trigger point), switch off, restart and repeat.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

the maoster:

Conor:

How come you know all this stuff :open_mouth: …, especially when somebody on here told me you were a crap driver.
:laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve had it about a year, not used it since day one. Switch it off, unclip from cradle and that’s it done for the day. If you don’t unclip it front the cradle they can remotely switch it on then it will talk to you all day about excessive driving. Unladen you don’t hear from it but fully laden it goes off it’s ■■■■ when you’re building up speed going onto a motorway.

Or driver trainer is a wee dweeb who wouldn’t say boo to a goose so he never says anything about scores etc.

One day they’ll get on my back about it, but right now it gets switched off and yes I know even with it switched off it still records scores.

the maoster:

Conor:

I’m not sure where to even start with this. If only there was some kind of professional driver competence syllabus to weed out morons who actually believe this kind of bollox! Firstly. Microlise does not, never has and never will mark down exceeding green band driving when on the overrun, it only marks down for exceeding green band revs whilst under power.

Very clever, give the boy a clap. And what does it do when climbing hills? Oh that’s right, exceeds the green band whilst under power.

Stupid boy. Does the concept of lifting your right foot a tad not occur to you? Yes you may well sacrifice speed but as you are so fond of pointing out to us mere mortals you are paid very well by the hour and you’re not one of these “flat to the mat cabbages”, or are you training your pony to have more than one trick nowadays?

the maoster:
Stupid boy.
Does the concept of lifting your right foot a tad not occur to you?

youtu.be/Z9t_KDGqOmE

:laughing: :laughing:

Roymondo:

Sand Fisher:

There is a fourth choice - let It idle with raised revs via the CC. If pressure still low as you reach two minutes (or whatever time your company has specified as the trigger point), switch off, restart and repeat.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

No your fourth choice is my no 1 choice. I use cc up to 1000 revs. It is the software that is bollox. Can’t be beyond those wizzos at microlise to design a formula thus. If air pressure < 7.5 bar and cc engaged = no over rev or excessive idling until air pressure = 7.5 bar (or whatever + say 30 seconds to allow for you to deactivite cc). Not hard now is it?

Conor:

the maoster:

Conor:

I’m not sure where to even start with this. If only there was some kind of professional driver competence syllabus to weed out morons who actually believe this kind of bollox! Firstly. Microlise does not, never has and never will mark down exceeding green band driving when on the overrun, it only marks down for exceeding green band revs whilst under power.

Very clever, give the boy a clap. And what does it do when climbing hills? Oh that’s right, exceeds the green band whilst under power.

Conor you and I work for the same company (sometimes). I don’t exceed the green band when driving their Daf Cf’s even when accelerating or going up hill. At worst if it is a bit tedious in low lug I’ll flip it into Auto non eco and let her pull up at about 1400 revs. Hills aren’t unheard of in Scotland.

You can get an issue with the Hill Descent Control/Exhaust Brakes, making the vehicle rev too high on overrun, and this will affect the Green Band results.

You can alter the parameters however, so say an 8 wheeler in the Peal District is programmed differently to a 44 tonner doing mainly motorway work. Also vehicles work differently, a Volvo will work at different revs to say a Daf, so you have to have that set correctly as well. I would allow 6 weeks to get a fleet matched to the telematics correctly.

I wonder if the fleet Conor drives for have them set for the correct vehicles?