Microlise

Hi everyone, could anyone tell me how to improve on combined coasting please on microlise? I’m doing ok on the rest ,thanks.

View topic. trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=173644 :smiley:

Just ignore it and drive to the road conditions

chrisv:
Hi everyone, could anyone tell me how to improve on combined coasting please on microlise? I’m doing ok on the rest ,thanks.

When going downhill knock it out of cruise control and use engine braking/retarder. That means that for example if you’re coming down Windy Hill heading towards Manchester you can get almost 3 miles of coasting recorded that’ll do no end of good for your score. If cruise control is on it won’t record it.

When accelerating use less than 95% throttle up to 20MPH then use cruise control to accelerate.

It’s all rubbish.

I agree with Edd to an extent - don’t get too hung up on scores and just drive accordingly.

However if you don’t drive on the brakes and instead coast up to roundabouts/traffic lights/junctions and use your exhaust brake to slow down (I.e. the way a truck should be driven) then you should have no problem with a combined coasting score on microlise.

Reading that back, it sounds patronising and I don’t mean it be. Basically, anticipate having to slow down and back off that bit earlier, making use of your exhaust brake and your score should improve.

Microlise is ■■■■■■■■ to a point but it can improve your driving tbf. Just don’t get ■■■■■■ about it and start running into the back of people to avoid a poor score on harsh braking :laughing:

As above its bollox but use less break and let the truck roll the junction etc. Quite annoying though if the light turns red and u do apply the break it record harsh breaking lol so just glide past the solid white line a bit and it won’t

Main thing when building speed use cruise control I use cruise from 20mph to 56 on motorway slip also stick it to 50mph not 56 this will put you in A band

How much extra do they pay you with good scores?

stu675:
How much extra do they pay you with good scores?

none probably or may get paid as a bonus but get 1 bad score may ruin it

Many thanks for the replies, getting A,s B,s and C,s in the rest but didn’t know how to resolve combined coasting problem,I’m in tomorrow so I’ll give it a go, fab ,cheers everybody .

What a bloody state our industry is in.

What should be important is :- did you deliver the load safely, the load intact, the customer happy…ie the most important person in your company is chuffed :sunglasses: …did you have an event free journey, have you got the vehicle there and back in one piece efficiently in reasonable time, have you left the lorry clean and tidy with no defects which is hopefully how you received it…answer yes to all of these everyone should be happy.

Instead of which the priority is now on satisfying some bloody box of electronic ■■■■■■■■ :unamused: , Jesus wept.

How any of you newer or younger blokes have stuck it these days having to answer to a machine i really don’t know, i’d have lasted maybe a month if i was starting out now, luckily i’m old lucky and ugly enough to have found a job where the former is the important bit, with the number 1 priority being a satisfied customer.

Juddian:

What should be important is :- did you deliver the load safely, the load intact, the customer happy…ie the most important person in your company is chuffed :sunglasses: …did you have an event free journey, have you got the vehicle there and back in one piece efficiently in reasonable time, have you left the lorry clean and tidy with no defects which is hopefully how you received it…answer yes to all of these everyone should be happy.

Instead of which the priority is now on satisfying some bloody box of electronic ■■■■■■■■ :unamused: , Jesus wept.

How any of you newer or younger blokes have stuck it these days having to answer to a machine i really don’t know, i’d have lasted maybe a month if i was starting out now, luckily i’m old lucky and ugly enough to have found a job where the former is the important bit, with the number 1 priority being a satisfied customer.

Agreed.

But generally, if you don’t drive like a ■■■■ then the box of electronic ■■■■■■■■ is satisfied and you get left alone in my experience.

It’s the abundance of drivers that drive everywhere foot to the floor and brake later than Max Verstappen for roundabouts and junctions that have a problem with it and thus inflict the micromanagement on the rest of us.

Juddian:

The voice of furkin common sense.

chrisv:

is it a merc you drive or anything else with eco roll. on one company i drive for combined coasting is no throttle and in gear but with the mercs at least with in 3 seconds of letting the throttle go it goes into eco roll ie nuetral so no combined coasting.

trouble is if you force it to stay in gear by turning that crap off or using the retarder other scores suffer.

i have had 2 jobs where i have been told that if i dont score such and such i will be let go however no-one has been able to tell me how to improve the scores. Also i was sent an e-mail the other week with 21 other staff on it. My score was the worst in every catagory yet out of 22 drivers (me included) i had the 9th best mpg the 4th highest distance traveled and the highest use of engine torque

chrisv:
Many thanks for the replies, getting A,s B,s and C,s in the rest but didn’t know how to resolve combined coasting problem,I’m in tomorrow so I’ll give it a go, fab ,cheers everybody .

If you drive a Volvo pull the engine brake stalk back to 3 and then back to A and it will artificially put you in neutral ie coasting. Do that on approach to hills even slight gradients and that will increase your coasting. Doesn’t seem to work with any other trucks apart from Volvos unfortunately. So our fleet is about 50/50 Volvo and Daf and the Daf guys can’t touch the Volvo on scores because of this hack. It’s coasting that ■■■■■ everyone so don’t feel bad.

cooper1203:

chrisv:

is it a merc you drive or anything else with eco roll. on one company i drive for combined coasting is no throttle and in gear but with the mercs at least with in 3 seconds of letting the throttle go it goes into eco roll ie nuetral so no combined coasting.

trouble is if you force it to stay in gear by turning that crap off or using the retarder other scores suffer.

i have had 2 jobs where i have been told that if i dont score such and such i will be let go however no-one has been able to tell me how to improve the scores. Also i was sent an e-mail the other week with 21 other staff on it. My score was the worst in every catagory yet out of 22 drivers (me included) i had the 9th best mpg the 4th highest distance traveled and the highest use of engine torque

Hi, its a daf cf,the other company I drive for are fh Volvos but they dont use microlise.

Has anyone actually been dismissed for ‘poor’ telematics scores?

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

edd1974:
Just ignore it and drive to the road conditions

That is the most sensible post on this thread.
As I said before if you take these ■■■■ s who devise these ■■■■ schemes seriously it just encourages them
Reading some posts on this thread points out that with some of you it has gone way beyond taking them seriously, you are jumping through hoops and being actually preoccupied with this crap to the point of priority and with some it comes across as virtual obsession :open_mouth:
Wake up ffs …this is just what they want !! :bulb: .
Some of you are clearly beyond help, but the rest of you/us should not fall into their trap.
Drive to the best of your ability, in terms of first safety, and second economy, and in all cases to the conditions of the road on the day., that should suffice,.and ■■■■ everything else like trying to gain more ■■■■ brownie points by jiggery pokerey trickery on throttle and exhaust brakes. :unamused: … and have a read of Juddians post for further advice.

Jeez H man,.I ■■■■ despair on how this job has become. :unamused:

^^^^^^
I’ve just read back my post on this after a few hours, a:coffee and a chill,.and waiting to watch the football.

Look I don’t want to be accused of putting newer drivers off asking questions and advice on here, that is the last thing I want to do, and coming across as if I know better than anybody else,…that ain’t my intention,.and I don’t anyway,.I’m just a driver same as the rest of us.

My point is don’t let these ■■■■■ (who on the whole, in reality know the far end of f/all about the job,.and in most cases never done it) spoil the job for you with their own little world of theory,.and all the ■■■■■■■■ that goes with it.
Just drive the bloody trucks as safe and as courteous as possible, don’t rush around as if your arse is on fire, and the economy results will come as a by product of that. :bulb:

Make all the right noises when these clowns talk to you, and nod and shake your head at the appropriate times, but do NOT become totally pre.occupied with all this micro management based dog ■■■■.
The job is and can be stressful enough as it is.
That is what I was trying to say. :smiley:

See… I can do humble AND tactful. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Ive come back to driving after many many years and have been at Culina for about a year now.

They use Microlease to score their drivers every week, im all for constructive feedback to enhance drivers skill but the way they work and the way the system works Indont think is the best way.

EG Harsh braking, if you commit to an emergency brake due to some idiot doing something daft that you can not account for, no matter how good your planning sometimes it happens. Im an ex blue light police driver and would like to think my advanced driver training helps to make me a better smooth safe and progressive driver, to be pulled up because a computer system which cant see real world conditions or situations developing and to be pulled upmon saidnincidents is just horse dung.

Fair enough some of the things are simple to analyse with the system but not everything. Generally i score A’s for most things but im often down scored on excess idling, our Mercs are terrible compared to the Scania for dropping air pressure.

Culina will also pull you up for over speed even if you are not legally speeding, our wagons all are very random with overspeed and I dont think anybody sets out to max 59mph down a hill on purpose!

Culina also want you to use max exhaust brake to slow down a vehicle and have less brake pad wear, thats not constructive to being smooth and neither does having the revs jump to the redline to slow the wagon down become constructive to having mechanical sympathy, also they want you to use cruise control at every opportunity to minimise throttle usage!!!

I just drive in a couteous, smooth safe but progressivve manner and invite any manager to come out woth me and proove i am anything but the above.

Could you lose your job over this crap? Or lose wages?