Lowfield Distribution (Sainsburys) Middleton, Manchester

moomooland:
0In 1987 Sainsburys sent one of their double decker trailers and tractor units up from Basingstoke for a months trial at to see if they could be utilised at Middleton depot.

It was a real pain as we had no proper loading facilities to load the top deck and the roll cages they used at the time for the low height upper deck were only half size ones of which none were used in the North West as the only ones that were available were about 30 which had been sent along with the trailer.

Needless to say it did not work and only went out on a delivery twice before it was sent back to Basingstoke after being parked up in the depot for three weeks.

Remember them well, having to walk under a fully loaded upper deck, held up by a couple of pins at the rear.
Great, increased productivity, twice the number of roll cages,albeit smaller, eerr,how about a wage increase to cover the extra work involved.
aarrrggghh, clutching of throats ,gasps of horror, blood draining from faces. No?
Like you say ‘Moomooland’ a real pain in the south.!

moomooland:
0In 1987 Sainsburys sent one of their double decker trailers and tractor units up from Basingstoke for a months trial at to see if they could be utilised at Middleton depot.

It was a real pain as we had no proper loading facilities to load the top deck and the roll cages they used at the time for the low height upper deck were only half size ones of which none were used in the North West as the only ones that were available were about 30 which had been sent along with the trailer.

Needless to say it did not work and only went out on a delivery twice before it was sent back to Basingstoke after being parked up in the depot for three weeks.

Its nice to see a picture of a early day cab four wheeler 95.We had loads on UB from E reg up to K reg a mixture of 4 and 6 wheelers. We then moved on to day cab 85s which was a backwards step in cab comfort.I only ever saw Ub,Walkers, and Js use day cab 95s.

ERF ‘C’ Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No CNV 108X, powered by a Gardner 6LXCT 230 turbo engine, was registered new to Lowfields in January 1982.

Driven by the late Mick Finnerty, and looking rather tired with its rusty bumper, it would be towards the end of it’s working life
at Lowfields Middleton when this picture was taken.

Hauling a hired refrigerated trailer it would probably have been peak either Christmas or Easter as that was when we
needed plenty of extra trailers.

Hi guys…This is exactly the kind of info I’m after for my RDC history piece for Truck & Driver…Would any of you - Moomooland in particular - be up for a chat on the subject please? Lucy. :slight_smile:

pyewacket947v:

moomooland:

pyewacket947v:
A great thread this
I worked out of Salvesens Sainsburys RDC at Droitwich Spa and Lowfield motors where regularly encountered.
The Supalink pic stirs up a few memories…

I bet it does :smiley:
There were all-sorts of rumors at the time when we took over in January 1982 as to why Supalink lost the contract with Sainsburys.

Yeah, i seem to remember some ‘stories’ going the rounds, it seemed to be a very ‘er loosely’ run outfit.
Of course we got to know quite a few of their drivers over time as we where nearly always doing our first deliveries at the same time.
In fact i ended up with a wheel nut trim on my 1617 taken off a Supalink Merc.
Most of their motors where pretty well used though.

My dad was at Supalink, from 75 until they closed, and was the TGWU rep. He always reckoned that it was the drivers greed that saw the place fold, even back in the 70’s they were taking £250+ pw home

cracker-bar:

pyewacket947v:

moomooland:

pyewacket947v:
A great thread this
I worked out of Salvesens Sainsburys RDC at Droitwich Spa and Lowfield motors where regularly encountered.
The Supalink pic stirs up a few memories…

I bet it does :smiley:
There were all-sorts of rumors at the time when we took over in January 1982 as to why Supalink lost the contract with Sainsburys.

Yeah, i seem to remember some ‘stories’ going the rounds, it seemed to be a very ‘er loosely’ run outfit.
Of course we got to know quite a few of their drivers over time as we where nearly always doing our first deliveries at the same time.
In fact i ended up with a wheel nut trim on my 1617 taken off a Supalink Merc.
Most of their motors where pretty well used though.

My dad was at Supalink, from 75 until they closed, and was the TGWU rep. He always reckoned that it was the drivers greed that saw the place fold, even back in the 70’s they were taking £250+ pw home

Must have met your Dad a few times then, if he was on the road.!

You may well have done. Brian Daley, an old scouser who liked to talk.

cracker-bar:
You may well have done. Brian Daley, an old scouser who liked to talk.

'Fraid the name dont ring a bell, its been so long ago ,i can see a line of half forgotten faces drifting past my inner vision.
Trevor, Jimmy, Roger, Scouse and London accents, as well as Brummies
I wish him well, where ever he is.

cracker-bar:

You are correct about Supalink drivers greed in more way than one…

As it’s almost 40 years now since Lowfields took over the contract it wont matter now that i tell you at the beginning we were told countless times by backdoor staff at Sainsburys branches that theft had been a major problem.
Apparently false bulkheads were found on some vehicles to make it look empty as drivers were dropping a couple of pallets of produce off at their ‘own customers’ on the way back to the depot.

i did a bit for exel ( Sainsbury’s) out of Brinsworth tipped at Middleton a few times,had this rental FH Volvo here at Middleton,then on Woolley edge services,cheers Alan

Morning Paul,
A screen shot from Minder!

Thanks for that Pete it was probably one of their Dodge four wheelers from Enfield doing multi drop work around the London area. :smiley:

moomooland:
Thanks for that Pete it was probably one of their Dodge four wheelers from Enfield doing multi drop work around the London area. :smiley:

Hi Paul,
It looks like it, same rear wings! Cheer’s Pete

pyewacket947v:
Remember them well, having to walk under a fully loaded upper deck, held up by a couple of pins at the rear.
Great, increased productivity, twice the number of roll cages,albeit smaller, eerr,how about a wage increase to cover the extra work involved.
aarrrggghh, clutching of throats ,gasps of horror, blood draining from faces. No?

You must also remember McGergor Cory Limited. :smiley:

Lowfieds got a huge chunk of their Sainsbury work in late 1980’s and early 90’s.

moomooland:

pyewacket947v:

You must also remember McGergor Cory Limited. :smiley:

Lowfieds got a huge chunk of their Sainsbury work in late 1980’s and early 90’s.

Yes,McGregor Cory, used to meet their D type Fords from Bridgend i think on a regular basis.
Heres a pic of one at the old Walsall store, around about 1980.

The old Lowfield/Sainsbury depot on Stakehill still empty since it closed 18 years ago back in 2001 now being advertised for rent.
Cant believe how small it looks compared to Sainsburys RDC’s today.

moomooland:
The old Lowfield/Sainsbury depot on Stakehill still empty since it closed 18 years ago back in 2001 now being advertised for rent.
Cant believe how small it looks compared to Sainsburys RDC’s today.

Like the old Wincanton/Somerfield/KwikSave RDC at Hunworth near Bridgwater. Being part used as a park and ride or something.
Lots of ‘good news’ talk when the big Morrison Depot opened on the A38, little said when Huntworth and Chelston closed down.

Lowfields Middleton depot had two trailers painted up in this livery in 1990 but it did not go down well
and the idea was dropped later the same year.

moomooland:
0Lowfields Middleton depot had two trailers painted up in this livery in 1990 but it did not go down well
and the idea was dropped later the same year.

Oh the Wavy Line livery, that brings back memories.
We had one or two turn up at Droitwich. Inevitably somewhere along the line it became known as the
‘Wavyline Grocer’ livery. There was,of course, a London based group called the ‘Wavy Line Grocer’ already in existence.
Rumour has it that Mr Sainsbury was somewhat less than chuffed to hear this, so exit the Wavyline livery sharpish.
It was followed by the cream and blue livery, with the red band running through the dark blue.
At Droitwich this was quickly dubbed the ‘British Airways’ livery ,
Sir Johns reaction to that is not known.!!

New in 1991 and driven by Wally Walton H714 OAR was one of 46 ■■■■■■■ 325 powered E10 ERF 4x2 tractor units based at Middleton depot in the early 1990’s