Lowfield Distribution (Sainsburys) Middleton, Manchester

Heading through Junction 12 of the M62 at Worsley.

Heading West on the M62 at Junction 10

Driver Bob Mellor takes a break in the depot at Middleton.

Waiting outside Nantwich store in Cheshire with an early morning delivery of fresh produce.

BLIMEY moomooland what a cracking job you all had, what a wage you never had to strike for £5 a hour i wished i had been in your area ,would you tell me did you ever had to go inside the trailer at the warehouse to assist in unloading or loading.
SAINSBURYS warehouse in GUILDFORD made us drivers do that ,yes years later than you are writing about ,but you were subies not actually employed by Sainsburys or were you.just interesting to see how different ends of the country then worked.dbp but we were all in the same union.

peggydeckboy:
BLIMEY moomooland what a cracking job you all had.

Best job i ever had.
Drivers never once went in the warehouse in all the 20 years i worked there and the money was great.
By 1999 for example, thanks to the unions and solidarity amongst the drivers, you could easily earn between £25,000 to £30,000 a year with no Sundays just alternate Saturdays.
Sadly in 2001 it all came to and end when they opened the huge depot at Haydock.

Paul,Glass Glover had the Tesco contract at Middleton int 80s,did you know any of their drivers? A mate of mine called Paul MacMahon,an ex Driver and TSM at Maltby was a transport manager at one of the two sites Tesco had.

Goes to show the value in taking pictures, any pictures, pointless at the time but fantastic to look back at a decade or two later.
I remember the Lowfield depot in Watford, and seeing that logo with the trees brought back memories, although I never worked there (too young) I did end up at NFT nearby on the agency doing Sainsbury work and it quite surprised me to learn that Lowfield also did Sainsburys.

Chris Webb:
Paul,Glass Glover had the Tesco contract at Middleton int 80s,did you know any of their drivers? A mate of mine called Paul MacMahon,an ex Driver and TSM at Maltby was a transport manager at one of the two sites Tesco had.

Knew quite a number of their drivers in later years when it was taken over by Wincanton.
In fact a few of us did a short spell there after being made redundant at Sainsburys in 2001.

GORDON 50:
Goes to show the value in taking pictures, any pictures, pointless at the time but fantastic to look back at a decade or two later.
I remember the Lowfield depot in Watford, and seeing that logo with the trees brought back memories, although I never worked there (too young) I did end up at NFT nearby on the agency doing Sainsbury work and it quite surprised me to learn that Lowfield also did Sainsburys.

Yes will always remember that logo with road going through the trees. :smiley:
It soon disappeared at Middleton as all the trailers were re branded into Sainsburys own livery.
Used to still see it on vehicles from St Helens and Barnsley depots for a number of years until Lowfield’s were taken over by Tibbett & Britten…

Lowfield Cool.jpgIn the late 1970’s through to the mid 1980’s Lowfields entered the chilled food distribution sector.
This Seddon Atkinson 400 Series, Reg No TOJ 74S, was new in March 1978 and along with the refrigerated trailer
were branded in Lowfield Cool livery.

Lowfield. (Click on pages twice to read.)

Lowfield.

Click on pages twice to read.

Lowfield Ford.

lowfield fordd.PNG

Sainsbury / Lowfield.

Click on pages twice to read.

Thanks for the interesting article above Dean

I see our old depot at Middleton got a mention in fact David Quarmby visited the depot on numerous occasions.

Here’s another picture from the archives a Bedford TK branded in Lowfield Cool livery.

moomooland:
Thanks for the interesting article above Dean

I see our old depot at Middleton got a mention in fact David Quarmby visited the depot on numerous occasions.

0Here’s another picture from the archives a Bedford TK branded in Lowfield Cool livery.

No worries chap,not sure if there are any more but will keep an eye out for them ! :wink:

In 1993 some drivers from Lowfields Middleton depot worked out of the Jacobs factory in Liverpool for a short period.
I remember delivering 18 pallets of Jacobs Club biscuits to a lock up in Sheffield all hand-balled off by a dozen young girls working
for Jacobs promotions
All 18 pallets of biscuits, which each contained about 180 cases, were later given away as samples over a two week period during a huge advertising campaign down the road at the Medowhall centre.

A great thread this
I worked out of Salvesens Sainsburys RDC at Droitwich Spa and Lowfield motors where regularly encountered.
The Supalink pic stirs up a few memories…

pyewacket947v:
A great thread this
I worked out of Salvesens Sainsburys RDC at Droitwich Spa and Lowfield motors where regularly encountered.
The Supalink pic stirs up a few memories…

I bet it does :smiley:
There were all-sorts of rumors at the time when we took over in January 1982 as to why Supalink lost the contract with Sainsburys.