Louis reece pictures

Another fine picture of John Freemans Dad in a Leyland Super Comet.

This is a photo of the first ever “Tautliner”. After many years service with Louis Reece
at Horsmonden and Wigan, It was returned to Boalloy to be totally refurbished, the offside
to the original specification,and the nearside to a more up to date requirement.

Picture is courtesy of Angela and Craig Pickering, Owners of Boalloy at Congleton,Cheshire.
Regards, Ray Smyth.

How odd, but interesting.

postman paul:
How odd, but interesting.

Thank you for your comment Paul, I am given to understand that
the Trailer is now in the Science Museum. Regards, Ray Smyth.

I am almost certain that the development of the Tautliner was a joint venture between Boalloy and Tony Pomeroy who was Louis Reece transport manager at Horsmonden.
Regards Chris (ex Henley Transpport).

lawrence2765:
I am almost certain that the development of the Tautliner was a joint venture between Boalloy and Tony Pomeroy who was Louis Reece transport manager at Horsmonden.
Regards Chris (ex Henley Transpport).

Hi Chris, Thank you for your comments on “Tautliner” Go to boalloy.co.uk
and click on the “History” link, It is from that link that I got the photo, and put it
on here with kind permission and courtesy of the owners of Boalloy.

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Another Boalloy Tautliner of Louis Reece. Picture is courtesy of Angela & Craig Pickering at Boalloy.
Regards, Ray Smyth.

I found this picture of a Boalloy advert that DEANB had posted on the Bewick thread,
and saw that it had the name of “Louis Reece” on the curtains. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Louis Reece became part of Glass Glover Distribution around 1984/85.
These 2 pictures are courtesy of John Freeman of Horsmonden, Kent.
Johns Dad was a HGV Driver at Louis Reece. The pictures are not very
sharp, but better than none. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Glass G2.png

Glass G1.png

Blimey! More memories seeing these Lewis Reece pictures,It’s really nice seeing those pics of the Volvo 86’s again, I recall them having a Ford ‘D’ series class 3 single axle that had an enormously long flat bed on it. the foreman at the time Derek williams used to let me practice reversing the arctics into the un/loading area. :smiley: I worked for them at their Wigan fruit market depot in the early 70’s, I drove a Leyland terrier 3 tonner prior to passing my class 1,My uncle, Keith Alker (sadly no longer with us) got me the job there. I made deliveries to the indoor fruit market in town in the mornings then in the afternoons went out to collect lettuce/tomatoes produce from the growers in the Southport area, There was always plenty of hand balling jobs there. :slight_smile: I remember a few of the drivers names Brian milligan , Ken Churchouse, Brian smith, Jack. Didn’t they have a depot in Ledbury! I recall going down there with a load of lettuce once.

I think this is an L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver, pictured sometime in the 1960s.
The driver, John Freeman, would have handballed about 1500 boxes of fruit,
sheeted and roped the load, then driven to some fruit wholesaler, maybe many
miles away, then hand balled the buggers on to pallets, while the forklift driver
sat there waiting for the pallet to be filled. Just had a “Mary Hopkin” moment.
Picture is courtesy of John Freeman, Horsemonden, Kent, Son of John.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

A Louis Reece Volvo F10, Reg No. A312 MKJ. Picture is courtesy of John Freeman.

F10 A132 MKJ.jpg

Two more Louis Reece pictures. John Freemans Dad handballing fruit on a trailer,
and Volvo F10 A122 PKN, whose regular driver was “Pedlar”. Pictures from John Freeman.
Regards, Ray Smyth.

2 more pictures courtesy of John Freeman. Johns Dad in brown overalls
stood beside his Leyland Super Comet, and “Pedlars” Volvo F7 FKL 310V.
Ray Smyth.

515.jpgNMP But a great photo that had to be shared

^^^

John Bryer driving?

lawrence2765:
0NMP But a great photo that had to be shared

Hi Lawrence2765, Thank you for the Louis Reece picture. I would like to see some more.
I used to deliver to Louis Reece in the early 1970s at the Wholesale Fruit & Veg Market
at Wigan,where they were the largest wholesaler in the market. At that time,my employer,
Robert Baillie of Horndean & Portsmouth had an arrangement with Louis Reece, whereby
some of the Guernsey Tomato work was subbed out to Louis Reece. One day I could be
driving a Robert Baillie Atkinson with a Louis Reece Tautliner, on another day I could be
driving a Louis Reece Volvo F86 and Baillies sheeted flat trailer, and sometimes a Louis Reece
Volvo F86 and Tautliner. I wonder if DeanB has any Louis Reece pictures ? Regards, Ray Smyth.

NMP A great old photo of a Louis Reece motor.
Many years later my old company Henley Transport of Paddock Wood In Kent had a very close working relationship with Louis Reece of Horsmonden in Kent.

lawrence2765:
0NMP A great old photo of a Louis Reece motor.
Many years later my old company Henley Transport of Paddock Wood In Kent had a very close working relationship with Louis Reece of Horsmonden in Kent.

Thank you to Lawrence for this superb picture, Ray Smyth.

Lovely photo of the old bull nosed Comet.
Ray Smyth emailed me about this (thanks Ray) and thought I might have recognised the gent in the cab but I think this was taken before Reece’s opened up their operation in Horsmonden.
When Reece’s moved to Horsmonden during the early 60’s they brought down a lovely fleet of both the bull nosed and flat fronted Comets.
What a wonderful hum as they were idling.
My dad John Freeman, had a beautiful flat nosed Comet TXV 105.
I remember also TLN 104 and TLN 105.
The names for those two, Dennis Tickner and Joe Jupp from London ring a bell.
I think Ted Stanley also had another flat nosed Comet.
John Spicer (Cheyenne) and his brother drove the bull nosed models.
I was about 10 at the time (70 now) and dad took me all over the country in his pride of the fleet.
Happy Days!!
I think there must be more of these great photos around…