Lorries with 13-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

windrush:
On the Foden 12 speed 'box you could tell which drivers pre-selected the auxiliary change too early because (on dismantling the gearbox) the selector fork would be worn! Air pressure held the splitter in gear, it would often drop out of cog when the air pressure dropped. On the later eight/nine speeds (still 12 gears in there though!) the clutch needed depressing to actuate the split so fork wear was uncommon. The splitter was held in gear by a conventional ball and spring on those, though if the box was worn and jumping out of gear we would wind the air change valve open to let pressure hold it in until overhaul time. :wink:

Pete.

Evening all, Windrush knows his Fodens!

Having driven, owned, imported, exported, all sorts of lorries, and so many different gearboxes, one becomes a little de-sensitived as to what was good …or bad!

I personally loved the 13 speed Fullers…Ive driven them in most European, and North American chassis, and loved their “almost without effort” ratio changes. The same could be said for the Twin Splitter…but personally I found this not such a delightful box to use overall as the 13 speed. And really, did any of us really need to improve on the abilities of the standard 9speed? How many miles extra could be covered with a 13 speed over a 9 in a “working”, (that is not the day defined by legislators), but the day that we would willingly work!!! But those "top end " splits made us feel like GP stars…amazing how 1mph gain can feel so great!

But I grew up on the Foden 12 speed,both mechanical, and air split. In its day it gave “wings” to the modest powered lorries that we drove…and status for us, who knew the mysteries of how to drive those twin stick contraptions, (even if one was a little short)! The same “mystique” was enjoyed by the drivers in France of the twin stick Bernard, and Berliet gearboxes…but it was the USAs Mr Fuller who proved that one stick could give total control, and it sat over a very reliable, and well engineered set of cogs, good for many Kilometres…and easy and cheap to repair when it finally needed work!

The same could be said for the offerings of Spicer, but you really had to work hard to make a smooth job of anything with these tough, abuse friendly, clunky opponents of driver skill! But they were ultra light in weight, against anything manufactured with an equal Torque rating!

But let us not forget the pre-cursor of the death knell of constant mesh gearboxes , that admiral twin stick, (one long, one short), but fully synchromesh Volvo 16 speed SR serie. Made even the worst driver an expert…and driven like a constant mesh, with double declutching, no one could find a false neutral…but it drove poor Ron Cater, (RIP), Ailsa`s Demo Supremo, to distraction in his efforts to educate Volvo drivers to use the synchro cones to make a single change…and no throttle “blipping”…the true enemy of fuel economy!

Much as it did with my Engineering colleagues at Saviems Blainville plant, whose insistence to my friend Pat Kennett,(RIP), when testing a Saviem GV10 speed splitter equipped outfit, to keep the throttle floored…whilst making a change…made both Pat and I cringe…and despite us showing by example how matching the revs enabled the synchromesh to work really effectively…it fell on very deaf French ears…(but of course we were both only “drivers”)!!!

But the same SM340 V8 MAN engined artic, when fitted with a 13 speed St Nazaire built Eaton Fuller box flew as a bird…despite the rather portly German Horses!!! And the effect on Saviem`s last model, the PS 30 was just the same…it liberated every single horse, and allowed them to run free…let alone the effect on M Berliets “portly” V8 356, and 360, (and for Italy…well a wee bit more)! And it made that big V 8 run as free as any bird wuth a following wind.

Then of course the premier product of the French combine…Le Centaure…in all her forms…drove through the Eaton box…and how, she sort of moved the gearlever in your hand, and the ratio swopped, the power stayed on, and the momentum was maintained…

Blooming good boxes those 13 speed Fullers…and no clutch…(or was I a cowboy)! But so was Mr Fodens, shame that those sons of Sandbach could not make a vehicle to take advantage of it!

Im away to a large Bollinger, and to think about the 13 speeds I have driven, I love them…

Cheerio for now.

Saviem:

windrush:
On the Foden 12 speed 'box you could tell which drivers pre-selected the auxiliary change too early because (on dismantling the gearbox) the selector fork would be worn! Air pressure held the splitter in gear, it would often drop out of cog when the air pressure dropped. On the later eight/nine speeds (still 12 gears in there though!) the clutch needed depressing to actuate the split so fork wear was uncommon. The splitter was held in gear by a conventional ball and spring on those, though if the box was worn and jumping out of gear we would wind the air change valve open to let pressure hold it in until overhaul time. :wink:

Pete.

Evening all, Windrush knows his Fodens!

Having driven, owned, imported, exported, all sorts of lorries, and so many different gearboxes, one becomes a little de-sensitived as to what was good …or bad!

I personally loved the 13 speed Fullers…Ive driven them in most European, and North American chassis, and loved their “almost without effort” ratio changes. The same could be said for the Twin Splitter…but personally I found this not such a delightful box to use overall as the 13 speed. And really, did any of us really need to improve on the abilities of the standard 9speed? How many miles extra could be covered with a 13 speed over a 9 in a “working”, (that is not the day defined by legislators), but the day that we would willingly work!!! But those "top end " splits made us feel like GP stars…amazing how 1mph gain can feel so great!

But I grew up on the Foden 12 speed,both mechanical, and air split. In its day it gave “wings” to the modest powered lorries that we drove…and status for us, who knew the mysteries of how to drive those twin stick contraptions, (even if one was a little short)! The same “mystique” was enjoyed by the drivers in France of the twin stick Bernard, and Berliet gearboxes…but it was the USAs Mr Fuller who proved that one stick could give total control, and it sat over a very reliable, and well engineered set of cogs, good for many Kilometres…and easy and cheap to repair when it finally needed work!

The same could be said for the offerings of Spicer, but you really had to work hard to make a smooth job of anything with these tough, abuse friendly, clunky opponents of driver skill! But they were ultra light in weight, against anything manufactured with an equal Torque rating!

But let us not forget the pre-cursor of the death knell of constant mesh gearboxes , that admiral twin stick, (one long, one short), but fully synchromesh Volvo 16 speed SR serie. Made even the worst driver an expert…and driven like a constant mesh, with double declutching, no one could find a false neutral…but it drove poor Ron Cater, (RIP), Ailsa`s Demo Supremo, to distraction in his efforts to educate Volvo drivers to use the synchro cones to make a single change…and no throttle “blipping”…the true enemy of fuel economy!

Much as it did with my Engineering colleagues at Saviems Blainville plant, whose insistence to my friend Pat Kennett,(RIP), when testing a Saviem GV10 speed splitter equipped outfit, to keep the throttle floored…whilst making a change…made both Pat and I cringe…and despite us showing by example how matching the revs enabled the synchromesh to work really effectively…it fell on very deaf French ears…(but of course we were both only “drivers”)!!!

But the same SM340 V8 MAN engined artic, when fitted with a 13 speed St Nazaire built Eaton Fuller box flew as a bird…despite the rather portly German Horses!!! And the effect on Saviem`s last model, the PS 30 was just the same…it liberated every single horse, and allowed them to run free…let alone the effect on M Berliets “portly” V8 356, and 360, (and for Italy…well a wee bit more)! And it made that big V 8 run as free as any bird wuth a following wind.

Then of course the premier product of the French combine…Le Centaure…in all her forms…drove through the Eaton box…and how, she sort of moved the gearlever in your hand, and the ratio swopped, the power stayed on, and the momentum was maintained…

Blooming good boxes those 13 speed Fullers…and no clutch…(or was I a cowboy)! But so was Mr Fodens, shame that those sons of Sandbach could not make a vehicle to take advantage of it!

Im away to a large Bollinger, and to think about the 13 speeds I have driven, I love them…

Cheerio for now.

Sigh, what a satisfying post Monsieur Saviem! And how tactfully dost thou play the 9-speed / 13-speed field! Well, as our dear colleague Eric ‘Tip-top’ consistently declares in his profile signiture: a Fuller driver is a happy driver - quite true in our case, it seems. Well, I’ll trickle off for a drop of prosecco this evening methinks, as befits a vaguely Mediterranean evening in the UK (well, until 6.00pm that is). Robert :laughing:

After 750,000miles in the last five Fuller equipped years, I have to say that I love my I-shift.

I know! However much I pride myself on my ability to make a perfect every time clutchless shift, the box of tricks under that little switch/gearstick is a very clever thing, block changing with a split and using the engine brake to ensure it goes through as fast as possible its crowning glory, you’d have to be on your game to get that right with a stick.

And… I-shift is constant mesh…

newmercman:
After 750,000miles in the last five Fuller equipped years, I have to say that I love my I-shift.

I know! However much I pride myself on my ability to make a perfect every time clutchless shift, the box of tricks under that little switch/gearstick is a very clever thing, block changing with a split and using the engine brake to ensure it goes through as fast as possible its crowning glory, you’d have to be on your game to get that right with a stick.

And… I-shift is constant mesh…

I know, sickening isn’t it! The Stralis I used to drive had a Eurotronic 2 which was constant-mesh, and coming up thro’ France one day I could actually hear it double-declutching. I shouted at it, ‘I can do that! Gissa job! Gissa job!’. :laughing: Robert

Dan Punchard:

Now that’s a lorry I would enjoy driving and living in! Robert :smiley:

Brilliant box the 13 speed,my mate has a 1970 Ergo Octopus re-powered with a TL11 @240 horse with a double over drive 13 Fuller,great for hill climbing,the splitter is fantastic when changing up when climbing.

Being a Double overdrive is bloody noisy though,it has a hell of a whine and ear plugs are a must on long drives.

The 13 speed really made Ergo’s in NZ,both Leyland and AEC fitted them as standard,they were expected to pull trailers here and those that have been here will know there’s some long steep pulls.

Note the shift pattern is reversed,it’s what we call a hook box,also note my mate not using the clutch. Listen for the whine as he engages overdrive in the second from top cog.

youtube.com/watch?v=GjSFS_tSndU

NZ JAMIE:
Brilliant box the 13 speed,my mate has a 1970 Ergo Octopus re-powered with a TL11 @240 horse with a double over drive 13 Fuller,great for hill climbing,the splitter is fantastic when changing up when climbing.

Being a Double overdrive is bloody noisy though,it has a hell of a whine and ear plugs are a must on long drives.

The 13 speed really made Ergo’s in NZ,both Leyland and AEC fitted them as standard,they were expected to pull trailers here and those that have been here will know there’s some long steep pulls.

Note the shift pattern is reversed,it’s what we call a hook box,also note my mate not using the clutch. Listen for the whine as he engages overdrive in the second from top cog.

I was involved a couple of years ago in the restoration of an LAD cabbed Octopus which William Gilder purchased from Robbie Caulfield in Rotorua on The North Island in NZ.When it arrived at the yard and we pulled it out of the container I was shocked to find it had an RTO9513 fitted behind a standard 680 Power Plus engine,but it turned to be very low geared as it had got heavy duty Hub Reduction axles (as opposed to the Octopus Light Eight which had Albion Reiver Hub Reductions ) But now fully restored it’s a superb machine! Incidentally when checking the chassis no of it against the no of the other Octopus which is a light eight tanker supplied new to Shell it transpires that they are 25 numbers apart so they were probably both on the production line in the same week in 1966! Regards

I was interested to note from the above couple of posts that New Zealand spec AECs and Leylands had 13-speed Fullers in more or less as standard. Robert

Laurie Dryver:

NZ JAMIE:

I was involved a couple of years ago in the restoration of an LAD cabbed Octopus which William Gilder purchased from Robbie Caulfield in Rotorua on The North Island in NZ.When it arrived at the yard and we pulled it out of the container I was shocked to find it had an RTO9513 fitted behind a standard 680 Power Plus engine,but it turned to be very low geared as it had got heavy duty Hub Reduction axles (as opposed to the Octopus Light Eight which had Albion Reiver Hub Reductions ) But now fully restored it’s a superb machine! Incidentally when checking the chassis no of it against the no of the other Octopus which is a light eight tanker supplied new to Shell it transpires that they are 25 numbers apart so they were probably both on the production line in the same week in 1966! Regards

Inside that very wagon

I remember Unigate having a twin splitter box as a demo in a B series ERF GYH919W.Had a RR220 Eagle engine.
Used to be nice to drive.

fryske:

Laurie Dryver:

NZ JAMIE:

Inside that very wagon

Nice one Fryske! Good detail. Robert :smiley:

hurri67:
I remember Unigate having a twin splitter box as a demo in a B series ERF GYH919W.Had a RR220 Eagle engine.
Used to be nice to drive.

Are you sure it was a B-series and not a C-series? Twin-splitters weren’t around, as far as I know, when B-series ERFs ruled the ERF; I have also never heard of a C-series with a Twin-splitter, though it’s possible that an experimental unit was tested; E-series had 'em as standard. So was it actually a C-series ERF? Just asking, to narrow it all down to accurate history, you understand! :smiley: Robert

It was a B Series day cab, it came back from Basingstoke on the back of our wrecker.It was an experimental trial.

We had a French LHD 1932 V10 Mercedes in the early 1980s. …Fantastic truck with a 13 speed Fuller 'box supplied new from Mercedes France. …Vastly superior truck when compared to the ZF 9 speed offering

hurri67:
It was a B Series day cab, it came back from Basingstoke on the back of our wrecker.It was an experimental trial.

Nice one. I was always a fan of both B-series ERFs and Eaton Twin-splitters! Robert :slight_smile:

I had a 1632 that had that nasty ZF 12spd constant mess (not a spelling mistake) :laughing:

Riverstick:
We had a French LHD 1932 V10 Mercedes in the early 1980s. …Fantastic truck with a 13 speed Fuller 'box supplied new from Mercedes France. …Vastly superior truck when compared to the ZF 9 speed offering

Now that’s interesting. I’ve not heard of any New Generation Mercs outside of South Africa with Fuller 'boxes - any pictures? Robert

Eric (‘Tip-top’) earlier revealed that some DAF 95s had optional 13-speed Fullers in them. Does anyone know if any units with Super-Space cabs had them fitted? Yours, in constant pursuit of the favourite long-hauler, Robert :slight_smile:

robert1952:
Eric (‘Tip-top’) earlier revealed that some DAF 95s had optional 13-speed Fullers in them. Does anyone know if any units with Super-Space cabs had them fitted? Yours, in constant pursuit of the favourite long-hauler, Robert :slight_smile:

Hey Robert, don’t think, because of the hydro linkage, not in Belgium.
we had the Fullers in the 95 because of complaining hauliers, the same a bit with MB (NG) the last 1932 and
first 1928 because of the very weak 16 +2 ZF box, still before the ecosplit.
We had once a 95 DAF Leyland stranded here after a accident and had a Twin Splitter in it.

Bye Eric,