Lorries with 13-speed Fuller Roadranger 'boxes

Jwqheadlightcoverdetail.jpg

I first came across the 13 speed fuller in DAF 2800 on a T reg 78 although I had driven a 15 speed fuller on heavy haulage but the bottom 5 on that were separate on a switch very similar to a diff lock switch whereas the 13 speed had them all on the gear lever
cheers Johnnie

Hi all,
Member black shadow kindly sent me a link to this advert.

Nice one, Pete!! And yes, it would make a great restoration project. I notice the advert is only a month old so it may well still be for sale. Cheers! Robert :smiley:

From the cover of a 1957 Fuller manual, type R-45 and R-46…mainly applied in US-trucks like White

A bit of news for this thread ,I’ve heard that over on Rofs patch that the only Erf Ecx N14 unit built with a low roof is being fully rebuilt for use again with a 18000nm torque 13 speed fuller from America .

Dan Punchard:
A bit of news for this thread ,I’ve heard that over on Rofs patch that the only Erf Ecx N14 unit built with a low roof is being fully rebuilt for use again with a 18000nm torque 13 speed fuller from America .

Good!! :smiley:

And that 1957 illustration looks like a 9-speed, not a 13-speed, gear-stick; but I stand to be corrected! Robert :smiley:

Hello All
Im restoring a lorry with a Fuller 13 speed RT 11613 gearbox in.When I built the air pressure up the gearbox was fine until I tried to put the range change into high range.On closer inspection air was leaking out the front of the Range slave valve.Can someone tell me the elbow joint thread size that goes into the Range slave valve as the elbow joint is missing.Am I right in thinking the other end of the elbow joint goes into a 6mm pipe?
Regards Jacko

^^

If you are talking about this valve below, the control pipes from the gear lever were normally 5/32" and used a special “Fuller gearbox olive”; no other type will seal.

haldex.com/en/North-America/ … ves/KN4688

cav551:
^^

If you are talking about this valve below, the control pipes from the gear lever were normally 5/32" and used a special “Fuller gearbox olive”; no other type will seal.

haldex.com/en/North-America/ … ves/KN4688

Hello cav551
Thanks for replying.The elbow joint looks to be a srandard joint at the front of the Valve possibly brass fitting? I will try and put a photo up later.
Regards Jacko

youtube.com/watch?v=rhnaMC5lDqQ

For Robert not brill but couldn’t find the fiat thread ,is it true the 13 speed was offered as an option with a gearbox brake the same as a twin splitter in stead of the clutch brake ?

Punchy Dan:
For Robert not brill but couldn’t find the fiat thread ,is it true the 13 speed was offered as an option with a gearbox brake the same as a twin splitter in stead of the clutch brake ?

Iveco certainly offered (apparently excellently installed) 13-speed Fullers on their Turbostars, so it wouldn’t surprise me to hear that the earlier Fiat version was offered with them too. Not sure what you mean by the gearbox brake: do you mean the type of clutch-brake that was activated from the gear-knob instead of a switch at the bottom of the clutch travel (like Guy Big-Js had)? That was something to do with it being a ‘pull’ clutch rather than a ‘push’ one from what I remember. Cheers, Robert

Robert as you know the twin splitter has the same clutch as used in a syncromech box with no clutch brake ,but the twin splitter instead has the up shift brake in the bottom of the box which in appearance resembles a motorcycle clutch and is activated only for a few seconds when the clutch is bottomed for the pedal to touch the air valve fitted in the bulk head ,any way I heard today that this was offered in the 13 speed as an option .

Punchy Dan:
Robert as you know the twin splitter has the same clutch as used in a syncromech box with no clutch brake ,but the twin splitter instead has the up shift brake in the bottom of the box which in appearance resembles a motorcycle clutch and is activated only for a few seconds when the clutch is bottomed for the pedal to touch the air valve fitted in the bulk head ,any way I heard today that this was offered in the 13 speed as an option .

That’s interesting. And it might explain why instructions for some 9-speed / 13-speed Fullers ask drivers only to use the clutch-brake to engage starting off gear and not for slick up-shifts. On many units it was of course accepted practise to use it for slick up-shifts when ascending hills, as exemplified by Pat Kennett’s truck tests. Confusingly, they were sometimes called ‘clutch-stops’ or ‘inertia brakes’ and I’m never quite sure whether these were variants, possibly one of which matches Twin-splitter version. Robert

Pretty certain that mine just had the standard friction disc on the clutch release bearing the same as the nine speed ones.

Pete.

robert1952:

Punchy Dan:

That’s interesting. And it might explain why instructions for some 9-speed / 13-speed Fullers ask drivers only to use the clutch-brake to engage starting off gear and not for slick up-shifts. On many units it was of course accepted practise to use it for slick up-shifts when ascending hills, as exemplified by Pat Kennett’s truck tests. Confusingly, they were sometimes called ‘clutch-stops’ or ‘inertia brakes’ and I’m never quite sure whether these were variants, possibly one of which matches Twin-splitter version. Robert[/quote

I don’t remember my w reg 170/26 having a clutch brake, nightmare clutch change though. Had to pressurise the hydraulic system with a modified bike pump if I remember correctly.
Tony

robert1952:

hurri67:
It was a B Series day cab, it came back from Basingstoke on the back of our wrecker.It was an experimental trial.

Nice one. I was always a fan of both B-series ERFs and Eaton Twin-splitters! Robert :slight_smile:

I remember the B Series with a Twin Splitter. It was automatic and called SAMT. Semi automated manual transmission. AS Jones had some in their fleet

Wheel Nut:

robert1952:

hurri67:
It was a B Series day cab, it came back from Basingstoke on the back of our wrecker.It was an experimental trial.

Nice one. I was always a fan of both B-series ERFs and Eaton Twin-splitters! Robert :slight_smile:

I remember the B Series with a Twin Splitter. It was automatic and called SAMT. Semi automated manual transmission. AS Jones had some in their fleet

The Eaton Twin-splitter didn’t come out until the ERF E-series was on the scene. I have to say, I’ve never heard of any B or C-series ERFs with a Twin-splitter. However, you are right about the automated Twin-splitter being called SAMT. Many operators had them converted back to manual, which says it all really! Cheers! Robert

robert1952:

Wheel Nut:

robert1952:

hurri67:

The Eaton Twin-splitter didn’t come out until the ERF E-series was on the scene. I have to say, I’ve never heard of any B or C-series ERFs with a Twin-splitter. However, you are right about the automated Twin-splitter being called SAMT. Many operators had them converted back to manual, which says it all really! Cheers! Robert

I remember a magazine feature with an ex firmin e series /samt ,Bjj cut some up .