Longton Industrial Holdings

fartinflump:
Hi Spud
Ive just joined up tonight and thought i wud have a look to see if there was anything on longton crane hire as i work for them for the past 12mths, i will have a chat with our fitter i know he has loads of old pics on his computer and see if i can get some to post up on here. Oh yeh and its still run and owned by Mr Dale.

Evening all, do Longton Crane Hire still have that AEC V8 powered 8x4■■ And is Linda Ward still Richard Dales secretary?? Really very nice people, and a well run company. Cheerio for now.

AEC V8 powered 8x4■■

Now that would be worth seeing!

LB76:
AEC V8 powered 8x4■■

Now that would be worth seeing!

Bill, it was a mobile crane, do not know if the chassis was Coles, or AECs own.(Did they build a crane carrying chassis)? Used to hire it from Richard when I was swopping bodies etc, in the 90s. Made a glorious sound, but was obviously near to retirement then.
Driver was not the most “communicative” Potter, probably demoted from one of Richards Krupps!! Maybe fartinlump can find out what happened to her?? Was there a very competent parts chap, (Dennis Brian) working for the Kramer side?? Ah, the memories, Cheerio for now.

Thanks for the info “Saviem” i am not sure about AEC building their own as i know the Army had coles cranes built on an AEC militant chassis so if is not beyond the bounds of belief that some we built on the chassis in question. interesting stuff and maybe we will get an answer?

Hi all
No they not got that crane any more, its a more modern fleet but i will ask the fitter when hes back off his holls. Linda retired a few months ago and shes greatly missed too
cheers all

Hi I remember the ex army matador no pwer steering I was the driver of the six wheeler a.e.c crane longton bought of the gas board you had to stand up to turn them MR Fenton was manager rich was fitter no 1 mick brown no 2 one job I remember was a glass lined tank that was very exspensive it was about 8ft high every body watched I had to lift it over a wall and put it on plinths on the ground one bad move and the glass would brake that was at joulses brewery stone the reg no of my crane started ■■■ ====that was a BIRMINGHAM REG NO good days but I went back to driving transport my freind ROY KNAPPER drove for longton transport he took milk from the co.op dairy at tean to co.op smallthorn

Hi, joined the site after seeing post asking about longton transport. Longton had quite varied interests, my father worked for the transport division doing overnight trunking before moving to crane hire. He worked for longton for probably 40years possibly longer. I remember the general manager 1969 was Peter Felthouse he gave me my first job at one of the two engineering companies Longton started SOTEC, we made the mixer unit for Pioneer concrete mixers. Some names spring to mind, Mick Brown I know very well, Dennis Brian-ICP, older drivers, Bill Kirkham, Terry Kelly, Ron Hudson, Stan Taylor, Bill Pedley, Doug Mason and as has been said Jim Fenton was crane hire manager. I was more interested in the cranes as a lad, my dad drove a thornycroft 18ton crane Reg LYN 43 and then one of the first telescopic cranes in the area SVT 260F a Coles120T powered by an AEC AV 505 diesel -250bhp@2200rpm if memory serves me well.I also remember the old matadors my dad drove a 5ton with 30ft jib. Have a memory that the electrical contactors had gold contacts and were prone to going missing but as I’m approaching 60 my memory may be playing tricks! I spent hours with dad taking and collecting chassis’ as Longton hand built the thornycroft cabs, I even
know where one is still sitting in a worshop. I still think the thorny is one of the best looking lorries ever made but thats childhood for you. I could go on for quite a while and if anyone wants more info, I would be pleased to help if I can.

Great to see the picture of the old Guy, if my memory serves me correct it was one of the Longton “Guys” i first worked on when i first started as an apprentice panel beater in 1970.
The foreman was a very skilled chap called Ken Stonier.
The pay was terrible but it was a great company to work for, very sad to see it all gone.
Longton Cranes is now gone too,closed for good, the last remnant of the Dale’s empire.
Where did it all go wrong??

Found this,Longton crane helping Highland Transport out…1955 Stoke reg on crane and 1958 Paisley reg on MK3 AEC.

Chris Webb:
Found this,Longton crane helping Highland Transport out…1955 Stoke reg on crane and 1958 Paisley reg on MK3 AEC.

That crane looks a bit precarious Chris mounted on that lorry with no jacks.
Cheers Dave.

john56:
Great to see the picture of the old Guy, if my memory serves me correct it was one of the Longton “Guys” i first worked on when i first started as an apprentice panel beater in 1970.
The pay was terrible but it was a great company to work for, very sad to see it all gone.
Longton Cranes is now gone too,closed for good, the last remnant of the Dale’s empire.

Evening all, gosh Im really sad to read your post. What made Richard close Longton Crane Hire, lack of work, rates, H&S…could be anyone of them I suppose?

Where did it go wrong? The family (misguidedly) went outside for expertise, created a holding Group based down at Berry Hill, appointed a non family man as Chairman, (thinking that he knew more about business than they did), allowed Institutional shareholders into the business, quietly acquiesced to stupidly large loans from ICFC, (and anyone in business in the 70s knows what strings were attached to them)!!! Moved away from their core businesses, and pressurised good MDs of sound Group businesses to make decisions to increase the short term returns, (to appease the requirements of the Institutional shareholders), rather than developing “their” businesses for long term stability and prosperity.

Oh, lets not forget the Group Financial Director, and the “dear” Managing Director, who in order to “shine” in front of their new “City” friends made a statement to the Evening Standard regarding the “Crock of gold at the end of the rainbow”, refering to Bulk Storage`s, and Longton Transports Yards in the as yet undeveloped Dockland on the Thames…Every predator in the world was after the Group, and its assets. Well, it was Bearman and Askins Thompson T Line, (the Diamond Corporation of South Africa, merely used the bankrupt Scottish caravan manufacturer as a vehicle for the takeover, and subsequent asset stripping).

And of course they got it, stripped it, sold off bits, and the last bit of Dale ownership was Richards Crane hire. So its gone, and the hard dedicated and in most cases poorly remunerated work of many, many “Potters”, quite ruined my very good day fencing the fields. I shall raise a large Bollinger in the direction of Longton, and Stoke in general. Lots of ordinary families suffering anguish because of the British disease…and its an epidemic…short termism!!!

Cheerio for now.

Saviem:

john56:

Evening all, gosh Im really sad to read your post. What made Richard close Longton Crane Hire, lack of work, rates, H&S…could be anyone of them I suppose?

Where did it go wrong? The family (misguidedly) went outside for expertise, created a holding Group based down at Berry Hill, appointed a non family man as Chairman, (thinking that he knew more about business than they did), allowed Institutional shareholders into the business, quietly acquiesced to stupidly large loans from ICFC, (and anyone in business in the 70s knows what strings were attached to them)!!! Moved away from their core businesses, and pressurised good MDs of sound Group businesses to make decisions to increase the short term returns, (to appease the requirements of the Institutional shareholders), rather than developing “their” businesses for long term stability and prosperity.

Oh, lets not forget the Group Financial Director, and the “dear” Managing Director, who in order to “shine” in front of their new “City” friends made a statement to the Evening Standard regarding the “Crock of gold at the end of the rainbow”, refering to Bulk Storage`s, and Longton Transports Yards in the as yet undeveloped Dockland on the Thames…Every predator in the world was after the Group, and its assets. Well, it was Bearman and Askins Thompson T Line, (the Diamond Corporation of South Africa, merely used the bankrupt Scottish caravan manufacturer as a vehicle for the takeover, and subsequent asset stripping).

And of course they got it, stripped it, sold off bits, and the last bit of Dale ownership was Richards Crane hire. So its gone, and the hard dedicated and in most cases poorly remunerated work of many, many “Potters”, quite ruined my very good day fencing the fields. I shall raise a large Bollinger in the direction of Longton, and Stoke in general. Lots of ordinary families suffering anguish because of the British disease…and its an epidemic…short termism!!!

Cheerio for now.

A British disease indeed, gone the way of so many great companies , i too was very sad to hear Richard had thrown in the towel, it seem’s like only yesterday that as a young man he would give me a lift into work in his MGB, i thought him a
very decent chap.

Not my picture, but I thought it time to bump this back onto the first page

Hope everyone had a peaceful Christmas

Spud1960:
Freighter - taken from a promotional leaflet, no copywrite details

Bloody hell, when you could still drive through Hanley!!!

curnock:
spud1960,didnt they have a place up old wieldon road on the right hand side ?

That was FWB owned by the Keyes family.
Still there but only a shadow of it’s former self.
Used to have branches in the north somewhere and in Wales.

FWB was the Key family from Ashley. I went to school with the youngest son. Last think I heard he was running some sort of drive a tank place activity centre. Track Down or something. He married a girl I went to sixth form with.

PaulNowak:
FWB was the Key family from Ashley. I went to school with the youngest son. Last think I heard he was running some sort of drive a tank place activity centre. Track Down or something. He married a girl I went to sixth form with.

I went up to the place at Loggerheads/Ashley when I was invited on a “Corporate day’s activities”, just before I retired.
They had some Chieftain tanks, an Abbot, a couple of Ferret scout cars, clay pidgeon shooting and the like.
As I was coming up to retirement and had been a Chieftain driving instructor in the army, and as the Chieftains they had were not being used, I was getting lined up for a retirement job , but before that came about, I believe that complaints led to them having to close down the operation.
As I retired over 12 years ago, this is going back a bit now.

Does anyone on here remember Bulk Storage from the South East, they were the parent group of Bulk Storage (Transport) Limited who ran tankers out of Paull near Hull, they were back in the sixties and seventies a pretty large concern and where acquired by Longton Industrial Holdings in 1972, but I cannot seem to find any reference to them anywhere.

They had depots / offices in Barking, Walthamstow, Matching Green and possibly others, I know that they ran a Ford Transcon out of Barking as I was almost sent to collect it and bring it up to Hull when we were needing another tractor unit, think we ended up with a Seddon out of Stoke instead.

Someone must have some memories / photos