Longer hours again [Several Topics Merged]

That Boris is a wonderful bloke.
We can trust him.
thegrocer.co.uk/supermarket … 33.article
Sort of guy you’d have a pint in the pub with.

A shortage of lorry drivers, anything from 30,000 to 100,000 depending of who you believe, main reason, long hours, poor pay…along comes an idiot government minister and his answer is, " let them do more hours" yep, that’ll work…didn’t catch the bit where he said “and recognizing the extremely poor pay, they will get an extra £5.00 ph” time and a half after 40 hours, double time Sunday and night out money to 40 p.n". you know, the sort of thing to encorage new blood into the industry…or did I miss it ?.. :unamused:

Winseer:
For once, I find myself totally agreeing with Skywalker, with me averting my eyes as to all that EU paraphanilia in the background that otherwise makes his videos hard to watch…

Ah yes, so much EU paraphernalia to avert your eyes from in this video. :smiley:

Look at it all! Shocking! Thanks for agreeing tho

So, how many of us is this actually going to affect? There’s still only 24 hours in every day and if you add one for driving you not only remove one from other work but add a certain extra 45 minute break because you’ve gone over two sets of four and half hours driving; and thankfully there does not seem to be any move towards reducing rest periods.

It is, after all, very difficult to achieve a ten hour drive inside a thirteen hour spreadover, at least if there’s any amount of unloading involved. At best it only leaves you an hour of other work.

I very rarely go anywhere near nine hours driving in my job and I’ve never actually run out of driving time (i.e. gone up to ten) in the sixteen years I’ve been doing it. I can appreciate that some of the long haul boys might be affected by it, and also possibly a few of the far-flung parcels/pallet trunkers who currently have to double man.

If the government really wants to make our lives easier, it could consider binning the idiotic WTD rules and putting us back to observing one set of regulations.

Fergie47:
A shortage of lorry drivers, anything from 30,000 to 100,000 depending of who you believe, main reason, long hours, poor pay…along comes an idiot government minister and his answer is, " let them do more hours" yep, that’ll work…didn’t catch the bit where he said “and recognizing the extremely poor pay, they will get an extra £5.00 ph” time and a half after 40 hours, double time Sunday and night out money to 40 p.n". you know, the sort of thing to encourage new blood into the industry…or did I miss it ?.. :unamused:

The Government can now say " We have given a solution to the problem. Now make it work " . It’s all about the press and PR. It’s up to driver’s to refuse to do it. At least it’s only in the UK.

And i did read this jewel…Meanwhile, The Grocer understands that the government is also in advanced talks with industry to relax immigration rules with the introduction of a temporary visa to allow EU drivers to work in the UK

DCPCFML:

Winseer:
So lemme see… There’s only a shortage of drivers willing to work 60-84 hours per week for “not enough to pay a modern mortgage on an average priced 3-bedroomed semi, AND pay the 4xUtility bills AND put food on the table”…

So he thinks increasing the hours still further - will cause more drivers to go “Hey! I can now work 100+ hours per week! Yippee! Think of my bottom line!”

Total Idiot.

For once, I find myself totally agreeing with Skywalker, with me averting my eyes as to all that EU paraphanilia in the background that otherwise makes his videos hard to watch…

Er hang on a second… You have been belly-aching for YEARS on this platform about ONLY being able to work 15 hours a day, forcing you to have to work for ‘any 5 from 7’ companies with less daily hours to get the income you need. If you’re now able to work 16-24 hours per day then surely you should be celebrating this awesomeness as it would mean you’d only have to work 2 days a week?

Make your chuffin mind up. And don’t bother responding with your usual 324 page diatribe blaming Bojo, Cameron, Blair, Thatcher, Churchill, Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Brexit. :unamused:

Not true (as usual) - I have no desire to work more than 15, and have never said that. I have a strong desire on the other hand to work a 3 shift week, and earn enough of a crust to get by.
This, at the moment - means I reluctantly must work 15 hours rather than 10-12 to facilitate…

My favorite pattern around current legislation is to work 4x12, with any “over hours” 12-15 then being paid as overtime, upto 12 hours per week of it - without the need ever to work a 5th shift, let alone a 6th. :open_mouth:

It’s only going to take 1 fatality involving a HGV driver doing to many hours under this
relaxation for this to backfire. But, no doubt and rightfully so the driver will carry the can.

Franglais:
That Boris is a wonderful bloke.
We can trust him.
thegrocer.co.uk/supermarket … 33.article
Sort of guy you’d have a pint in the pub with.

Oh dear…

Guess this is getting rid of some red tape then?

Tbh I don’t even know what particular aspect has been loosened this time. I haven’t partaken if any if these temporary extensions previously and won’t do with this one either.

However the heady days of high agency pay and generous pay rises for full timers appears to be at a close already with what is posted in that link.

Way I read it it we can now drive 10 hours a day instead of 9.
If the rest of rules stay in 15 hrs or 13 hours 9 hour 11 hours rest etc…the extra hour won’t make any difference at all.
As hands up who actually droves that many hours a day.
Ok long distance and tampers do.
But the supermarket rdc drivers don’t.
They spend most they day waiting around.
The problem with empty shelves in the shops isn’t down to lack of drivers more to lack of decent warehouse rdc staff… making us wait all day for.no Reason is the reason

Well, if I was thinking about having a go before I go, this has just deterred me from doing so.

All well and good until you go over the water and the poles or zee germans download your card, be ready to shell out plenty of zloty or euros

My answer to this, the government can shove it up there aris.
news.sky.com/story/amp/hgv-driv … s-12350919

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I’ve been hunted by, the commissoners, vosa, now dsva,
For 38 years.
Bollox to doing more hours.
Sort the bloody industry out, level playing ground,
Forget about 15 hour days.
Who the hell does 15 hour days.
Apart from fishermen an farmers.
There is no need for any driver to live with a pretty average wage, for extreme hours, conditions,
This is going to end badly for government they just don’t get it.
An so called professional bodies useless.
Train more drivers they say.
So we still live with pay an conditions we have now.
Great.
Why can’t they address the driver shortage problem that was with us in early 90s.
Get a historian to detail why the job was so zb
For tramping it’s a ■■■■ sight harder. Now than then.
No good days is there.
An they still won’t drop driver cpc eh.
Shows what they know,
But their suits why would they care about another reason drivers say zb it I’m off, had it

lizard:

How bigger rear has the government got ? As the general consensus from most drivers is
F off !

blue estate:

lizard:

How bigger rear has the government got ? As the general consensus from most drivers is
F off !

What the duck are they going to do when we all say no. Except for the hourly paid brigade, they’ll all be going, oh look at the extra money.

lizard:

blue estate:

lizard:

F off !

What the duck are they going to do when we all say no. Except for the hourly paid brigade, they’ll all be going, oh look at the extra money.

I’m hourly paid ! But I do like my sleep and not still running at 10pm when I started at 6am

blue estate:

lizard:

blue estate:

lizard:

F off !

I’m hourly paid ! But I do like my sleep and not still running at 10pm when I started at 6am

Yeah, but there is sensible hourly paid drivers and then there’s the lot that only see pound signs.

If the road were as quiet as they were in lock down then may be ok to do the extra hour , but now traffic is back to Normal even a 7 hour day in London and Home Counties is knackering

Daf245:
I’ve been hunted by, the commissoners, vosa, now dsva,
For 38 years.
Bollox to doing more hours.
Sort the bloody industry out, level playing ground,
Forget about 15 hour days.
Who the hell does 15 hour days.
Apart from fishermen an farmers.
There is no need for any driver to live with a pretty average wage, for extreme hours, conditions,
This is going to end badly for government they just don’t get it.
An so called professional bodies useless.
Train more drivers they say.
So we still live with pay an conditions we have now.
Great.

But they can’t see that invisible elephant that’s in the room called pay and conditions :imp: :imp:

blue estate:

lizard:

blue estate:

lizard:

F off !

Sent from my SM-G988B u

Yeah, but there is sensible hourly paid drivers and then there’s the lot that only see pound signs.

Got a few of them where I work and their noses are brown and their balls shine :imp: :imp: :stuck_out_tongue: