Long-haul Cab Packs

Hey, don’t know if it was practical all those long haul packs in the small cabs in those days.
I liked most the bonneted Vabissen 76/111 without right seat, if it had a high roof it was the max, but awful.
One was done here an 110 pitty no pic but better for your eyes, you don’t to see that. :slight_smile: :laughing:

Eric,

ERF-Continental:
Here some MB-packs…leaflet from 1978

Eindelijk! The Mercedes cab pack - well found A-J!! Robert :smiley:

truckerash:

robert1952:

truckerash:

harryvr6:
Wow, some great material flooding in now! That centaure certainly looks the part. It’s now thrown up a question to you experts really: which came first, the centaure or the volvo globetrotter?
Thanks harryvr6

Without doubt the Centaure came first. Launched sometime in 1978…check out the pics of it earlier on page 2 you’ll see some dates :wink:
The Globetrotter came in 1981 on a W reg.

Slightly off-thread, Ash; but is it true that Partrick had a LHD B-series ERF? Robert :wink:

OOPSEY :blush: Sorry Robert. Looks like I’ve enticed a few “off topic” comments…

Perhaps we can it back “on track” with this question…

Considering DAF fitted the “Supercontinental” cab with all the mod-cons, I find it strange that they didn’t follow on when they produced the Space Cab…Now that was CRYING OUT ! for a fully fitted kitchen :frowning:

Does anyone know if one ever got built ■■?

Ashley makes a pertinent point here: long-haul cab packs and high-cabs are two quite separate issues. Apart from the Centaure and Aerodyne examples, almost all the cab packs we’ve collectively posted here have been based on standard sleeper cabs (like the DAF 2800 Supercontinental). To expand Ash’s question: can anyone think of any high cab (let alone the Space Cab) that had the long-haul pack treatment? Robert :slight_smile:

@Robert…at last yeah! I knew I had the Mercedes-international-pack and though well organised
and archived I did not think of this brochure.

Some more of the brochure, pay attention to the flat aircon

The DAF FT2800 Supercontinental was introduced in 1975 whereas the FT3300 Space cab was
introduced in 1985. Unclear if versions with the M/E-pack were made and sold…I assume the
‘hype’ for the Dutch to operate for the M/E with a lot of caravan-tools was more or less over.

I agree with TIPTOP that space was the restriction in the long-haul cabs…but as many drivers
would agree, you even don’t like to get all the damp of cooking in your cab, thus cooking from
the trailer underboxes was preferred?

And a picture on the Volvo-pack as per F10-F12 Globetrotter in 1981

bestbooties:
Gobstoppers aren’t the only trucks with a sink and cooker.Built myself a kitchen that I could move from one truck to another.This is it fitted in my Scania 142.

And an example (self-made by bestbooties) in a Scania

Once the standard, factory high cabs started to come on the scene and companies like Estepe became a thing of the past, cabs MIGHT have evolved with the happy combination of built-in kitchen (etc) and comfortable headroom. But they didn’t. I’m quite sure that this is because of the element of CHOICE. When I was on long-haul work I took all my own kitchen equipment with me (like most drivers); and if the weather was fine I did everything outdoors, including abluting. Sometimes I’d stow the gear in the cab, or if the trailer had a locker I’d throw it all in there.

When a cab has permanent fixtures the driver no longer has that choice. He doesn’t want to be cooking in a cab when the temperature in the shade is in the late 40s. Also, there is no doubt that it is very much harder to keep a cab clean that you cook in all the time - my cab used to be cleaner in summer than in winter! The other problem is that unless the truck has one regular driver only, other drivers are left to inherit the poor kitchen hygiene of the last driver to use (abuse) the facilities. Also, you can’t cook when the cab is tilted. The long-haul pack was a very beguiling concept, but in practice it didn’t really work. In the end, I believe drivers simply voted with their feet and opted for the simpler, more flexible system of chucking your own gear in the lorry at the start of a trip! Robert :slight_smile:

tiptop495:

Jelliot:

truckerash:
Magirus Deutz “PULLMAN” long haul cab as operated by Bob Carter (Trans UK Haulage)…
I have no interior pics but was reliably told by Bob, that the cab included a sink, fridge, cupboards and air conditioning.

Last time I was speaking to Bob Carter he was less than enthauastic about the short comings of the Maggies in his service…

Here’s something that I have always wondered about… Why did it take Scania so long to get in on the high roof concept? Even Skoda got there before them… I wonder how many sales they lost through their inaction… Surely Scania must have realised it was the way forward… was it just down to arrogance on their part… Just think how many 142’s 3’ and 112’s’and 113 were converted not just in Britain but all over Europe… WHY the inaction for such a long period of time■■?

Jeff…

Hey Jelliot, Scania Always wanted to have it right, seen here on the continent, but look today where they stand with having it right number 6 in row. :blush:

Words I so many times heart by Scania salesmen, we don’t need Multi speed boxes, intercoolers,lockers and so on.

And that was my long haul pack :smiley: :smiley:

Eric,

I have never bought into the Scania B/S that " Scania always wanted to have it right" they’ve made a few cockup’s in their time. Through the time period from the 70’s to almost now in Australia you almost couldn’t give them away… I know many operators that would rather have a fleet of Hino’s than a Scania.
At one time their Australian sales teams tried to adopt the aloof methods that at the time they seemed to think were acceptable in Europe… it didn’t go down to well… have a look at the sales figures of Scania, compared to the other European brands through the same time period in Australia and the figures speak for them selves… A couple of things that sunk them were the windscreens falling out the 142’s and the fact that they didn’t offer gear boxes that were up to the job… Yes I know there are tens of thousands of Scanias getting about all over the world that get along fine with Scania gear boxes, and the wind screens didn’t fall out, but double shifting at 103 tons on corrugated dirt road’s just doesn’t work… Scania sales people told the operators that their product would work well… and it didn’t… The Australia trucking industry is very close nit and as soon as stuff goes wrong, word spreads very fast…

Back when I was out looking for what eventually was my Globetrotter… sure I was just a kid at the time, less than 20 in fact… but I had the authority and money to back the deal… I looked at all the brands… I virtually had to beg to get an audience with the local Scania rep… They never even returned any phone calls. Needless to say Scania didn’t get my business nor do I think they deserved it, they didn’t have the product I was after … I had heard form other small business truck operators in my area that Reliable Motors were crap to deal with in sale, after market service and repair… However if you were wanting to buy upwards of 5 trucks at a time then they would have their noses as far up your ■■■ as they could…

I’m sure Saviem will be delighted to hear that Renault were on the ball and even offered to bring a Centaure draw bar demonstrator from France for a month… Merc didn’t have the size I wanted as a draw bar but offered both a 19 26 drawbar and an 18 44 artic demo then a custom build with delivery in 7 to 8 weeks… … Seddon Atik offered us a ■■■■■■■ fuller 401, but they couldn’t commit to a delivery time… ERF was a non starter as I didn’t want to live in a plastic box… Bedford TM ■■? no chance, although I’m sure their sale team would have better to speak to than Scania… Daf offered us a Space cab demo for a month but they could never pin it down… Cochrens of Berwick turned up un announced in our yard one weekend with a Ford Cargo, and virtually said just write down the spec you want and we’ll have it built for you… They didn’t get that order but we did buy a few Cargos from them for other work ( see that’s how it’s done )… Styre offered a fantastic deal, but I had a feeling that I would have to own it for the rest of my life… Iveco, well that was through Cochrens of Berwich and they really wanted to push the Cargo, however since haven driven a few Turbo Stars I think a big Italian V8 would have worked well…
I was going to order the Renault when I got back on the Friday, but on Wednesday I saw the ex Homely Foods Globbie sitting in the yard at Launceston as a ■■■■■■ back… And the final deal of lets just say, under 12 grand for the exact truck I wanted with under 38,000k’s on the clock… can’t pass on that…

It’s now about 30 years later ( are you sure ) yes I’m afraid I am… I live on the other side of the world… I don’t need to buy trucks at the moment , but if I did, Scania wouldn’t get a look in…

Any sale reps out there take note…

Jeff…

We hear you …time will tell how truck-manufacturers handle their prospects/customers.

Just found an “EU-pack” however no idea (guess MB) on the make, but the driver will not
let her go or gives the spurs?

EU-pack.jpg

En-Tour-Age:
We hear you …time will tell how truck-manufacturers handle their prospects/customers.

Just found an “EU-pack” however no idea (guess MB) on the make, but the driver will not
let her go or gives the spurs?

Definitely Merc!

David

The Maggy Pullman again, seen from the outside. The reporter either doesn’t know his right hand from his left, or some daft sod has stuck the wipers on the wrong side :open_mouth: Robert :laughing:

img302-thumb-448x437-111376.jpg

Hey, something for Mister saviem. :wink:

Eric,

Volvo Globetrotter detail courtesy of Robthedog on the Ashton Clinton thread. Cheers! Robert

robert1952:
The Maggy Pullman again, seen from the outside. The reporter either doesn’t know his right hand from his left, or some daft sod has stuck the wipers on the wrong side :open_mouth: Robert :laughing:

Hi Robert I’m not being picky or anything but your comment on the wipers on the maggie got me thinking, it would appear that the wipers all went to the left whether left hand drive or right , obviously the sweep was enough to clear both sides.
These two Trans uk and the Carters one were definitely right hand drive and as you can see the wipers go to the passenger side.

Jenson:

robert1952:

Hi Robert I’m not being picky or anything but your comment on the wipers on the maggie got me thinking, it would appear that the wipers all went to the left whether left hand drive or right , obviously the sweep was enough to clear both sides.
These two Trans uk and the Carters one were definitely right hand drive and as you can see the wipers go to the passenger side.
1 0

:laughing: :laughing: That’ll teach me to be smart-arse!! Robert :blush:

PS. I wonder how many other models had ‘reverse sweep’ on RHD cabs - or the other way round for that matter! Anyone know? Normally, I calculate RHD / LHD by the wiper sweep, the mirror set-up and the steering wheel position if visible. Robert

Seems they fitted either way ?

robert1952:
PS. I wonder how many other models had ‘reverse sweep’ on RHD cabs - or the other way round for that matter! Anyone know? Normally, I calculate RHD / LHD by the wiper sweep, the mirror set-up and the steering wheel position if visible. Robert

robthedog:
Seems they fitted either way ?

robert1952:

Wow! That’s even stranger, but at least it’s consistent! Robert :laughing: