Long-haul Cab Packs

robert1952:

pv83:
Hiya,

Great thread you’ve got here Robert! But what was the best cab to have then? I would put my money on the Volvo F10/12.

Cheers, Patrick

We’ll have to leave the answer to that to the experts, Patrick! Although I did plenty of long-haul work, the only ‘special’ fitted-out cab I ever occupied was that Harrier F12 GT on UK frigo work. All my long-haul stuff was done with standard sleepers.

Fast wind to more modern times, and I’d say that one of the best cabs I had for distance work was a Stralis (brilliant driving posistion too, but shame about the Eurotronic)!

Robert :slight_smile:

That’s just the thing, I always thought that most drivers had a normal "standard’ cab, if you look at the old pics there seems to be no one with that special designed cab “en route”, makes you wonder if they sold large numbers then :wink:
And you’re not joking about that Stralis are you :stuck_out_tongue: ? We had two in the fleet and apart from the engine, the rest of it was absolut sh***, according to the drivers, I myself have never set a foot in a Iveco…

Patrick

robert1952:

irish lorries:
Didn’t none of the American manufacturers make a middle east spec lorry
Like the kenworth k100 or Mack b series

Did you miss the Trans Orient on page one? :laughing:

My bad somehow missed it looks like a nice cab in them kenworths

harryvr6:
Wow, some great material flooding in now! That centaure certainly looks the part. It’s now thrown up a question to you experts really: which came first, the centaure or the volvo globetrotter?
Thanks harryvr6

Without doubt the Centaure came first. Launched sometime in 1978…check out the pics of it earlier on page 2 you’ll see some dates :wink:

The Globetrotter came in 1981 on a W reg.
This was one of the first in the UK…

imgAC499.jpg

truckerash:

harryvr6:
Wow, some great material flooding in now! That centaure certainly looks the part. It’s now thrown up a question to you experts really: which came first, the centaure or the volvo globetrotter?
Thanks harryvr6

Without doubt the Centaure came first. Launched sometime in 1978…check out the pics of it earlier on page 2 you’ll see some dates :wink:

Slightly off-thread, Ash; but is it true that Partrick had a LHD B-series ERF? Robert :wink:

truckerash:
I am reliably informed that Ford’s long haul cab was known as “The bridal Suite”…
Eric Wilson, owner of Birdale International Transport from Maidstone ran this fine example!

That’s a tight interior but has everything you need

irish lorries:

truckerash:
I am reliably informed that Ford’s long haul cab was known as “The bridal Suite”…
Eric Wilson, owner of Birdale International Transport from Maidstone ran this fine example!

For a moment there I thought you were referring to the Berliet Ad… :smiley:

John West:

irish lorries:

truckerash:

For a moment there I thought you were referring to the Berliet Ad… :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

truckerash:

You are right, but the Volvo was not too far behind- IIRC, the Globetrotter was launched in Europe in 1979, one year after Le Centaure.

Hi, thanks Ash I’m a bit disappointed now as I was always of the firm belief that the globie was the ground breaker here, being the first high roof cab on offer, what do I know!

As good looking as the le centaure was, I’d take a globie I think. All these specials were very well equipped that’s for sure. Interesting how the scania 142 wasn’t given the treatment? I always thought these were Quite small inside, maybe the rake of the windscreen pillars didn’t help? I haven’t actually been in one I don’t think though!

Another personal favourite of mine is the transcon, that bit higher than the French versions, which for me made them a bit more of a proper truck. I dream one day of actually owning anyone one of these trucks.

Cheers, harryvr6.

harryvr6:
Hi, thanks Ash I’m a bit disappointed now as I was always of the firm belief that the globie was the ground breaker here, being the first high roof cab on offer, what do I know!

As good looking as the le centaure was, I’d take a globie I think. All these specials were very well equipped that’s for sure. Interesting how the scania 142 wasn’t given the treatment? I always thought these were Quite small inside, maybe the rake of the windscreen pillars didn’t help? I haven’t actually been in one I don’t think though!

Another personal favourite of mine is the transcon, that bit higher than the French versions, which for me made them a bit more of a proper truck. I dream one day of actually owning anyone one of these trucks.

Cheers, harryvr6.

curbsideclassic.com/automoti … e-so-tall/ Transcons are very rare nowadays even in mainland Europe you would be very lucky to one
I would take a 2800 space cab myself or a hino he

Hi all,
This definitely has the comfort/kitchen pack, I know because I made it. If I could find an early 1979 -1982 model Volvo F12 Globetrotter for sale I would definitely buy it.I have seen the later version here in North Cyprus ,but lam not allowed to own a commercial vehicle unless I have a business,Oh well back to the Modelling. Here is my all time favourite picture,taken by Pat Kennet.Paul

harryvr6:

Cheers, harryvr6.

Harry I am sure that the first factory fitted high roof cab would be the one on a Bussing in the 60s but I believe they were quite expensive at the time and I certain that one of European members will correct me if I am wrong.
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:

harryvr6:

Cheers, harryvr6.

Harry I am sure that the first factory fitted high roof cab would be the one on a Bussing in the 60s but I believe they were quite expensive at the time and I certain that one of European members will correct me if I am wrong.
cheers Johnnie

Hey Johnnie, you have right Büssing did but if it was done by themself I don’t remember. The Germans had a weakness for confy cabs, even high roofs in the '50’s were made. But several things were done by coachbuilders. Some in the Nederlands built up a high roof.
But nearly sure Volvo was the first done by themself, Berliet was done by Lamberet.

Eric,

Evening all, interesting subject this "high roof concept is it not?

Without doubt the first real “living cabs” were from France in the late 20s early 30s…some quite exotic, on their brutish 6 wheelers. Perhaps the first real high roof tractor cab was the USAs Freightliner, (Consolidated Freightlines) 4x4 of the early 40s.

TipTops right, the Germans refined the High Roof concept in the 50s and 60s, with some wonderful examples. The Berliet “Relax” steel cab of the 60s incorporated a raised sleeping portion, copied a decade later by Magirus Deutz.

The Saviem "Europe " cab, was fitted with “kitchen packs” back in the late 60s, at least 7 years before the “Trans Orient”. But as per ZBs picture the Berliet TR320 as the Saviem had a "kitchen " option in the early 70s

Then came the rush…mid 70s. In Europe Berliet with Le Centaure, Volvo with the Globetrotter, MAN with her exotic X90 project, and at the end of the decade Mercedes , with (arguably), one of the most user friendly high roof cabs on their big horsepower SKs. In the USA 76 saw the Kenworth Aerodyne concept, and Mack with the slightly more ugly version…then White not to be outdone added roof windows to the “Road Commode”, and GM followed with their version, but none could outdo Double Eagle with their “Moma and Poppa” Aerodyne cab.

Just a couple of personal asides, the original Le Centaure lorries were far better finished, in terms of “fit and finish”, than the “factory” Globetrotter. (Based on having worked with the Le Centaure concept for a number of years, and having owned, and operated 10 F10, and 4 F12 Globetrotters). Had the “powers that be”, adopted proposals put forward to make the Le Centaur concept, the default option on all TR356, and 305 Tractors, then perhaps Volvos version would not have become the volume seller that it did. But they did not, and when they finally realised, and the Turbo Liner was born, it was too late for the market had been stolen!

It was not the best finished, or really the best use of internal space, and ride and comfort are well below her European rivals, but dear old Paccars Kenworth Aerodyne really has them all beat for sheer presence on the road, and as an “Ego trip”, simply has no rivals in my experience .

But of course, now Im an old man…

Better get back to the Bollinger…

Cheerio for now

ps

Perhaps one day, I will write about how that Steve Sturgess write up for Pat came about… it may make you smile…and the arguing to get the brothers to agree to him driving her!!!

So the US was first with a proper high-roof cab, if the Aerodyne was available to buy in 1976, preceding Le Centaure by two years. I do not count the Magirus or the Relaxe or indeed the “factory” B series ERF- those cabs had their rooves upped to accommodate stuff which should have fitted beneath the standard roof. My criterion is that the original flat-roof model could have two bunks, so that the high-roof version was a step forward for the sake of luxury alone, not just necessity. On that basis Le Centaure was number one in Europe.

WOW!! Cabs with sinks and cookers built in!! Its almost like we have too a backward step!!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

B…

robert1952:

truckerash:

harryvr6:
Thanks harryvr6

Slightly off-thread, Ash; but is it true that Partrick had a LHD B-series ERF? Robert :wink:

OOPSEY :blush: Sorry Robert. Looks like I’ve enticed a few “off topic” comments…

Perhaps we can it back “on track” with this question…

Considering DAF fitted the “Supercontinental” cab with all the mod-cons, I find it strange that they didn’t follow on when they produced the Space Cab…Now that was CRYING OUT ! for a fully fitted kitchen :frowning:

Does anyone know if one ever got built ■■?

truckerash:
Magirus Deutz “PULLMAN” long haul cab as operated by Bob Carter (Trans UK Haulage)…
I have no interior pics but was reliably told by Bob, that the cab included a sink, fridge, cupboards and air conditioning.

Last time I was speaking to Bob Carter he was less than enthauastic about the short comings of the Maggies in his service…

Here’s something that I have always wondered about… Why did it take Scania so long to get in on the high roof concept? Even Skoda got there before them… I wonder how many sales they lost through their inaction… Surely Scania must have realised it was the way forward… was it just down to arrogance on their part… Just think how many 142’s 3’ and 112’s’and 113 were converted not just in Britain but all over Europe… WHY the inaction for such a long period of time■■?

Jeff…

Jelliot:

truckerash:
Magirus Deutz “PULLMAN” long haul cab as operated by Bob Carter (Trans UK Haulage)…
I have no interior pics but was reliably told by Bob, that the cab included a sink, fridge, cupboards and air conditioning.

Last time I was speaking to Bob Carter he was less than enthauastic about the short comings of the Maggies in his service…

Here’s something that I have always wondered about… Why did it take Scania so long to get in on the high roof concept? Even Skoda got there before them… I wonder how many sales they lost through their inaction… Surely Scania must have realised it was the way forward… was it just down to arrogance on their part… Just think how many 142’s 3’ and 112’s’and 113 were converted not just in Britain but all over Europe… WHY the inaction for such a long period of time■■?

Jeff…

Hey Jelliot, Scania Always wanted to have it right, seen here on the continent, but look today where they stand with having it right number 6 in row. :blush:

Words I so many times heart by Scania salesmen, we don’t need Multi speed boxes, intercoolers,lockers and so on.

And that was my long haul pack :smiley: :smiley:

Eric,

sa15b.jpg

Here some MB-packs…leaflet from 1978