Long gone companies

ACH = Many thanks for the correction, used to talk to one or two of them in the heady days of the CB’s, was it them who called themselves the 99 squadron or some such thing.
As mentioned the brain cells are disappearing with age, hoping for a second coming of new cells.
Another name that havn’t heard of for a while is Les Samson, he kept reappearing in different names the last of was TSL, used to run out of Thurrock mainly hauling containers.

Ellerpack Rotherham :exclamation: Started as Hewson Brothers in Howden, Sold to Bullens, then George Allinson, then Harrisons, then Bellgate. The End :stuck_out_tongue:

LST - TSL - Les Sampson Transport :question: Who knows

I passed a Transworld truck today, I remember them advertising very hard advertising for owner drivers. My mate was shafted for money with them

240 Gardner:

jj72:
welcome to senility corner (myself included :confused: ) just a point, it was ACH at aylesbury - ACL run BIG blue ships out of liverpool, see www.aclcargo.com :sunglasses:

sorry, that was a genuine typo! Even though I work for a boat operator myself…

just being nosey AND straying off thread, who for mate?

jj72:

240 Gardner:

jj72:
welcome to senility corner (myself included :confused: ) just a point, it was ACH at aylesbury - ACL run BIG blue ships out of liverpool, see www.aclcargo.com :sunglasses:

sorry, that was a genuine typo! Even though I work for a boat operator myself…

just being nosey AND straying off thread, who for mate?

MOL - although I don’t do boats, pesronally!

MOL, mitsui the container line? If so, I pulled a few of theirs over the years!

Mal:
MOL, mitsui the container line? If so, I pulled a few of theirs over the years!

the very same!

They have a crocodile as the logo! :laughing:

Mal:
They have a crocodile as the logo! :laughing:

apparently, it’s an alligator. With a container over its shoulder. And a tattoo on its foreleg… Must have seemed a good idea after a few pints of sake!

A few pints■■? I know me and the one indoors shared a full bottle of that stuff once we were pretty ■■■■■■■ and I was on the beer then! :laughing:

Mal:
A few pints■■? I know me and the one indoors shared a full bottle of that stuff once we were pretty [zb], and I was on the beer then! :laughing:

Not enough to come up with the idea of an alligator with a container over its shoulder then!

Wheel Nut:
Ellerpack Rotherham :exclamation: Started as Hewson Brothers in Howden, Sold to Bullens, then George Allinson, then Harrisons, then Bellgate. The End :stuck_out_tongue:

LST - TSL - Les Sampson Transport :question: Who knows

Yes indeed - TSL followed on from Les Sampson. Transport Services Ltd subsequently became Transport Services plc and failed a couple of years ago. I’ve heard that Mr. Sampson had previously worked for Ralph Hilton - no doubt someone could confirm?

last i heard about les sampson was a couple of years ago, i was talking to one of the tsl guvnors who i had worked with at brains, he said les packed in the wagons and bought a yacht doing charter work on the french riviera

Mr Sampson was one of those. alledgedly, who every few years wound the company up and would then start up again with a variation on the previous company name.
Rumours…

I remember crow carrying very well, my old man used to drive for them, then he went on to drive for Courtaulds

Manager:
I remember crow carrying very well, my old man used to drive for them, then he went on to drive for Courtaulds

Which Courtaulds, where? I used to be a Manager for them, Manager :laughing:

Welcome in anyway :wink:

cogob

yeah too true mate. He was backed by a shipping agents who strangely changed their name every so often as well.

Les should of driven for brains cos he was always dripping in gold

Spardo:

Manager:

Which Courtaulds, where? I used to be a Manager for them, Manager :laughing:

Welcome in anyway :wink:

Greengate I think it was called

Manager:
[
Greengate I think it was called

Not my part of the world then :wink:

240 Gardner:

scaniaman:
Does anyone remember Aber Carriers of Welshpool Powys with the red units my father-in-law used to work for them many moons ago before they ceased trading

yes - used to backload them from Lever Brothers at Port Sunlight when I worked for Bowker. I think that the traffic chap was called Mike. They used to do 2 or 3 a day for us. Would it have been about 1985 that they finished?

Dafdave This is a longshot depending on my memory and when and how long you worked for bowkers.I met a driver [a real character] on walton st. lorry park hull must have been late70 early 80s name i think was george.Wore standard uniform for the yr. boiler suit flat cap and big leather belt. Got talking to him he had been with bowker donkeys yrs.and had a 15yrs old atki borderer painted in bowkers old colurs black with a 150 gardner in it.He said he used to take it home with him and do his own oil changes.He had been offered other trucks but wanted to stay with the old girl as he called her.He lived on his own on a canal boat nr.chorley.Can you recall seeing him at all?

Regards Dave

The chap you’re referring to is almost certainly the late John Hemelryk and the wagon he was in would undoubtedly be fleet number 47, or as John would have it named, his ‘Old Friend’.

John lived in Paddington on his narrowboat, not Chorley, and 47 was one of the first Atkinsons to be fitted with the (then) new Gardner 180 6LXB.

Other than those minor details, the rest is true - John did take 47 home with him and did all the regular maintenance himself. 47 actually went home with John for good when he retired, but returned again on light duties. It is a tribute to John’s care that 47 still retains the original Hardy-Spicer UJs in the prop-shaft, such was his careful handling of the vehicle during it’s working life under his stewardship.

After John died, 47 was refurbished (cab and paint) and now resides in the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in King Street, Leyland. I was there looking over her on Sunday, and sadly some small-brained scumbag had tried to pull the polished Gardner plate off the tap rack behind the cab - even in a museum nothing appears to be sacred any more…