Long Distance Diary (LONG)

Harry Monk:

Linux-user:
Excellent Harry :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

PS Are you following me as i have just come back from Tczew? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m remembering Tczew as being on the final approach to Gdansk, after you have turned off of the 22? I’m sure I went right through it.

I was disappointed to see that the “Skinny Police Car” has disappeared from wherever it was (Walcz?)

Next time I’m out, I’ll look out for you. We normally park at the Zoo on our way to Gdansk.

Yes came off the 22, heading for Gdansk. I Turned right just before the 1st of the 3.9M bridges and straight into (not literally) two 3.9M bridges ggggrrrrrr. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

PS Any jobs going at your place■■? :blush: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Linux-user:
Yes came off the 22, heading for Gdansk. I Turned right just before the 1st of the 3.9M bridges and straight into (not literally) two 3.9M bridges ggggrrrrrr. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Ah yes, they will be the 3.9 metre bridges that everybody and his Uncle heading to Gdansk with a 4 metre trailer roars under. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Linux-user:
PS Any jobs going at your place■■? :blush: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

From time to time. People don’t leave, but we are slowly expanding by a truck or two a year. Our work is mostly UK based though, we only do continental work for those prepared to pay our rate, which, as I told Ben is double Pekaes’s price.

Is that a fleetwood truck you are driving,if so how long have you worked for them,they sub for us and i know a few of there drivers.

It is Brian, and I’ve worked for Fleetwood for around seven years now.

Incidentally, we’re called Fleetwood because we started out as Fleetwood Mac’s road crew- long before my time though.

We still do a fair bit of Rock 'n Roll tour work- we had a couple in Kiev for the George Michael tour about a month ago - I presume you work for EST?

Yes id do work for EST and iv`e been there for 12 yrs now,mines the left hand drive 18t rigid,i was talking to kevin the other week,as he sometimes parkes in our yard.

Crackin’ read, well done :smiley: :smiley:

Brian:
,i was talking to kevin the other week,as he sometimes parkes in our yard.

Kev is as decent a bloke as you could ever hope to meet. He used to work for ESS.

That`s right i remember when he passed his class 1,and the he went to work in the stageing office for a bit,then went back out on the road,great guy have got a lot of time for him,and have had a few good nights in the pub as well.Havent seen Richard for a while,but love his Volvo.As always Fleetwood trucks are always well presented.

Brian:
Yes id do work for EST and iv`e been there for 12 yrs now,mines the left hand drive 18t rigid,i was talking to kevin the other week,as he sometimes parkes in our yard.

Might have been your truck that I always used to see packed near my old middle school in morden.

That would of been me at the time i had a 7 1/2 t man,and i lived on the estate by the school,have since moved and now have a Left hand drive Daf 18t rigid great truck.

Great read Harry with excellent photos,out of intrest do you get many
checks from the police in Poland,the French police seem to be getting
very hot at the momment.Stopped twice the other week out there and
they checked everything,last 16 days tachos etc ,everything was fine but
i was sat for about 20/25 minutes whilst he went through all my paperwork.

I’ve actually been to Poland around thirty or forty times over the last 15 years or so and I’ve only ever been stopped once, for a weight limit transgression.

There are a few mobile speed traps but oncoming motorists flash everybody coming the other way and I’d be surprised if they ever caught anybody.

im just wondering harry if the fella driving the red car in the photo is gay?

Spacemonkeypg:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Spacemonkeypg:

LOL, yes I had already noticed that and wondered if anyone else would! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

great diary harry, i think i spotted you last monday on the m20? i saw one of your trucks looking at my truck, and i was looking back (but i dont know what you look like!!)

he looks like a drunk sitting on a park bench stupid :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hell of a lot of weight in a short length there? Most tauts/euroliners/tilts these days will eventually bend or fail with that type of load - not to mention lack of proper lashing points

jj72:
Hell of a lot of weight in a short length there? Most tauts/euroliners/tilts these days will eventually bend or fail with that type of load - not to mention lack of proper lashing points

All of the dropsides closed with perfect panel gaps after I had loaded and were the same on arrival. As you can see, I removed one dropside each side for the main lashing, which consisted of two chains passed around the chassis and tightened with ratchet dogs (I hadn’t finished chaining down in the photo below)

I considered this to be enough, but as I had four chains I secured the load fore and aft to trailer floor lashing points.

Also, as you can see, the coil cable has been temporarily welded to a framework which sits on the trailer floor and spreads the load- this will be cut off in Gdansk.

The load didn’t move an inch, but throughout the journey I was acutely aware that if it did, I would be the first to get his neck snapped!

yep you can see the temporary spreader/skid (lots of drums have their own permanent ones) but it still doesn’t spread that weight very far (3m max?) - know i’d prefer a 60cm+ high swanneck between me and it rather than chained to a standard euroliner thats all