Lmia

jono5:
If you go to Alberta, your Lmia will only be for 2 yrs, so given that you will need to be sponsored within 6 months as it can take up to 15 months to obtain your Pr. Not sure with the other provinces, maybe quicker. H&R is a bit like marmite, you’ll either love it of hate it, I’ve had friends who worked for them and hated it, as most of the time your reset will be away in the states waiting for a reload back. I know some people who have been working for them for a long time also, it suits them as their single.
I started at Walters trucking in Lethbridge on $0.44 a mile and they normally get a lot of Lmias, personally I wouldn’t work for them again but it’s a door way in.

All snippets of info help, I’ve contacted Walters and H&R said they ain’t taking on yet

dunchues:

hkloss1:
As you fellas said , everyone is different, so what suits one man, might not suit another.
Best way of finding out the truth is to analyse some numbers.

so, would you FTTM, Neil and Dunchues be willing to answer some questions about pay conditions that a driver can expect from the likes of H&R and similar before he gets his PR (so first 3-4 years if things go well) and after he gets PR and still does long haul?

We could analyse other types of jobs after one gets his PR, but to make it easy and not complicate too much, lets start with long haul before one gets PR and after getting PR.

Are you up for it?

I’m not, cant speak for the others. Ive seen numerous attempts to help you and none of it works.

You’re right everyone works differently and my numbers only apply to me, they really wouldn’t help you at all.

There really is no secret, your need for assurance is not helping you; out here if you work pretty ■■■■ hard, (because of the size of the place its all longer trips than UK) dont whine and get on with the job youre going to make out ok. If you ■■■■■ and remind everone they dont do it like this in Europe you will have a miserable rotten time. Dont matter whether its hit and run in AB or Eassons in NS thats OTR trucking in Canada.

I drive with my wife and dog, out 3 or 4 weeks at a time and not long between trips either. Done that for 7 years for the same company I started with and 6 months with my new one, last 18 months in my own old truck. Not many people would want to do it but it suits me well.

To be honest to me its still fun, I love what I do out here.

Yep, count me out too, I’ve got no interest in analyzing anything, the only thing I’ll say about wages is my lowest pay was my 2nd year here and it was equivalent to £38k in todays exchange rate.
There’s much more to being here than the money.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

" Ive seen numerous attempts to help you and none of it works"
With all due respect, but getting any help on here was as painful as pulling teeth, that’s why it took me over 3 years to learn about what the job is like in Canada, when in fact if people were trying to help, it should have taken no more then a week.
What I’m now trying to do is, to help others, so people don’t have their lives ruined, because they didn’t know what to expect.

The answers you get here, are: “give it a go mate”, or “do your research”, but whey you try to do a proper research and ask a lot of very important questions, you are being avoided. Go figure.

hkloss1:
" Ive seen numerous attempts to help you and none of it works"
With all due respect, but getting any help on here was as painful as pulling teeth, that’s why it took me over 3 years to learn about what the job is like in Canada, when in fact if people were trying to help, it should have taken no more then a week.
What I’m now trying to do is, to help others, so people don’t have their lives ruined, because they didn’t know what to expect.

The answers you get here, are: “give it a go mate”, or “do your research”, but whey you try to do a proper research and ask a lot of very important questions, you are being avoided. Go figure.

You came out with your first 2 BS posts having already decided what happens here without even coming here.
Try to refrain from answering what you know nothing about.
Canada ain’t for you, try OZ or NZ.

@neilg14

Comment worthy of a 14yo.
How about if you refrain from advising me what country is good for me and what isn’t for a change?
I’ve had for you questions in the past, clearly written and divided into points, so you couldn’t get confused, and you could even answer those, but you don’t mind telling me off, after I’ve learned what condition Canada has to offer to it’s truck drivers.
At least I wasn’t stuck working for one of the cra pie st companies there is Canada long after getting my PR, working for peanuts.
You’ve never had anything of value to add as far as I can remember, so you can keep your advise to yourself, pal.

Truck driving in Canada is a leap into the unknown; whichever way you go about it. I had never been on an Internet forum before I came here and the two most recent arrivals at the House of Drivers never looked at any ex-pat forums. If it is something that you really want to do and you have a chance to do it; then go for it. Just have a “Plan B”, in case it doesn’t suit you.

Yes, this place is not the most helpful… I had the same problem… so thought will go and figure it out myself…

So, I think I can share some of my findings.
Mayority of my research I did before going there was correct, however I overlooked few obstacles that I was not aware of.

1. In Canada Truck Driver profession is lower paid and considered lower skilled profession than it is in UK and Europe.
For example:

• In Canada I can easily find job in construction that will pay me double of what hard to find LMIA Truck Driving job will pay me in Canada.
    In numbers that would be 20-30CAD/h in construction either laborer or trainee or driver for crew.
    But while you will be on LMIA you will not make more than 15-20CAD/h living in a truck. In construction and in other jobs in general even on advertisements you will see statements like 7:00-15:00 shift, often finish early paid all day, where as in trucking you should know that it is 5:00 - 19:00 or even longer…
    In Eastern Europe - Truck Driver, Tramper will earn 1200 - 2500 Eur depending on country and company where as in the same country grocery store employee will take home 400 - 700 Eur, construction worker 700 - 1500 Eur…
    In UK - Truck Driver, Tramper will earn well - you tell me, I would say 2000gbp take home per month of 500pw and sales person in grocery store - well You tell me? I would say 1200 - 1600 gbp, Field engineers, cable guys usually start at 20 000pa and end at 30 000pa before entering management or specific fields. So in general the pay band of driver is at the upper part…
    In Canada however - Truck Driver, Tramper - Wild, Wild tramper after his PR and in half decent company will maybe take home 1000dollars per week so 4000per month, but until PR it will be 2000 - 3500 per month if you are not working in coloured company where they even advertise on their facebook pages 1000-2000 by the way at this stage of reading my post please go onto your facebook page and type in search bar “truck driver lmia” and let me know once you see first white man related post and link it in this topic :smiley: Oh, yeah, back to comparison - sales person in grocery store will be on the same rate maybe, but construction laborer will be on higher rate, the same for any technical construction related profession in general - if you are capable to do anything in construction field - work with your hands you will earn double of that what truck driver in Canada earns.

2. In Canada colored people drive trucks… They don’t do that in Europe, guess why?
For example:
Now look - I can show you company that has LMIA, this is their website: skywaystrucking.ca/ - look at it, to be more specific photos in about section and gallery and tell me - Do you think they are looking to hire anyone from trucknet.com ?
Now go to indeed.ca and in search type “truck driver punjabi”, it will look a bit like this: indeed.ca/jobs?q=truck+driv … i&l=canada
After that change it to hindu or whatever those other types of them are…

3. In Canada it’s like we all already know oldschool - ■■■■■■■■ etc, but with all that comes another thing that we have forgotten about here in Europe - wild corruption…
For example:
Immigrant employment is massively illegal, but in trucking it’s complicated to be illegal because most of work is cross border and through scales, so what they are doing is - they are asking people to pay to work for them… all these coloured ones are paying recruiters to hire them price is anywhere between 3500 - 5000CAD per LMIA for 20-30cents a mile position.
Now tell me why would recruiter be interested in taking on UK driver, or even white European driver if his got agency - immigration consultats thats how they are called here that will not only not ask him to pay for LMIA and paperwork but will in fact pay him - yes that little coloured man will pay recruiter to get his meat in his seat for 20 - 30 cents a mile for 2 years until he will get his permanent residency with his fake nuclear physicists PhD from Katmandu Rocket Science Elementary Schools University branch slightly left off the tea plantation near holy cows ranch…?

On the bright side - there are exemptions, they work in a similar way how Brits work in Norway and Scandinavia - narrow field jobs that pay well.
For example in coal mine on tipper you will get 500CAD a day… ^^ Let me know if someone works there and how much he ask for LMIA in there ? :smiley:

hkloss1:
@neilg14

How about if you refrain from advising me what country is good for me and what isn’t for a change?
I’ve had for you questions in the past, clearly written and divided into points, so you couldn’t get confused, and you could even answer those, but you don’t mind telling me off, after I’ve learned what condition Canada has to offer to it’s truck drivers.
At least I wasn’t stuck working for one of the cra pie st companies there is Canada long after getting my PR, working for peanuts.
You’ve never had anything of value to add as far as I can remember, so you can keep your advise to yourself, pal.

Now there you go again, assuming.
I wasn’t STUCK working for H&R after PR, I chose to, paid by the hour, a good rate, plenty of overtime and home every night, then they lost the contract and the majority of us moved on to the new company, where I am still working now 5yrs later.
Am I happy ? As a pig in ■■■■.
You’re clearly stuck in a rut over there and I almost feel sorry for you.

Hkloss you need to wind your neck in, if your not happy with your found results then back off and leave these sites, you clearly haven’t spoke to happy drivers only the usual drivers airing their souls cos they can’t be arsed making something of themselves and only ppl like you take them at their word, if you truly wanted to move to Canada you’d have taken that step during your 3 yr research, working for stobart is not the top of the tree by far so comparing your job to those in Canada is a bit of a moo point Canada is a vast continent with thousands of drivers, iv had pm from drivers who have given me more information and advice probably because I’m not ranting about something I have no experience of, I’ve been driving in the UK for over 25 yrs and for many many companies I’m happy with what I have and yes I’m on a good wage with a turn over close to 40k but I want to make a different life for my family and so I’m willing to graft and work my way back up that ladder which is why I’m on here asking for advice from current Canadian truckers who are experiencing it for themselves, so I’d appreciate you not clogging up this forum with your sour opinions and let the guys who know speak about their valued opinions, thank you!

Well said MartyG, and to answer your original question, no, I haven’t seen any companies in AB advertising with LMIA’s for about 2yrs now, don’t know about the other Provinces.
Don’t bother with ON as you can’t get PR there on the PNP as a truck driver.
Does your wife work in a skilled job by any chance ?

Right, so, lets take a look at your post Marty:

1. “Hkloss you need to wind your neck in, if your not happy with your found results then back off and leave these sites, you clearly haven’t spoke to happy drivers only the usual drivers airing their souls cos they can’t be arsed making something of themselves and only ppl like you take them at their word”

Marty, I have to say you are on the right path to becoming one of the most “respected” drivers/posters on this board.
You have clearly learn throughout your life that that sucking c o x pay, paying complements to the right posters, and siding with them, no matter if they are wrong or wright, and putting others that swim against the tide in their place, it can earn you some brownie points on here. That is commendable.

But, on the other hand, if you were a little smarter, you would know that free discussions, exchange of views, and ideas, disagreements, proving others were wrong, and defending your views until proven otherwise, is what allowed us, to live in a relatively free and rich society, otherwise we would still be thinking the earth is flat, and so on…

Ever thought of being politician, Marty? You display the right qualities, and you don’t need to be particularly smart, and the pay is good, surely more than your £40K.

Now, as to backing off and leaving this site.
Isn’t this site supposed to be helpful to drivers contemplating moving overseas?
Aren’t drivers allowed to ask questions in here, and freely discuss issues, they are concerned about?
To put your mind at ease, Marty, I have spoken to many drivers, some that used to post on this board, and I am very grateful they have provided me with all the info I needed, because if I was relying on what has been posted on these main boards I wouldn’t be any wiser.

1. “if you truly wanted to move to Canada you’d have taken that step during your 3 yr research”

What for, Marty?
What exactly do you think I could learn from my 1 or, or even 4 week trip to Canada?
How exactly do you suggest, I could go about finding out what I wanted to learn?
I know what all the usual suspects, that have to import drivers from overseas offer, how would I go about finding out what to expect after I got my PR?
Would you suggest me to spent my days walking around truck stops in the evening/night asking various drivers of what work/pay conditions they are on?
Are you maybe suggesting, I should be visiting other transport companies, walking in the office and , perhaps saying, “ello mate, I’m from the UK, and planning to emigrate to Canada, so if things go very well for me, in about 3-4 years time after getting a job in Canada I would be getting my PR, and then I would be looking for a proper job. What pay/working conditions do you offer your drivers, as I might be tempted to work for you, if conditions are right”

Guess Marty, what type of replies would I be getting.
You don’t need to be particularly smart to figure this one out.
These days we have internet, YT, truck driver forums where you could ask clearly defined questions and hopefully you should be getting, clear and concise answers to your questions, no need going thousands of miles, to ask these questions.
If you , Marty, think, you could do better, by going for a recce trip to Canada, you are free to do as you wish.

1. “working for stobart is not the top of the tree by far so comparing your job to those in Canada is a bit of a moo point Canada is a vast continent with thousands of drivers”

I’m not working for Stobart, never did and never will.

1. " iv had pm from drivers who have given me more information and advice probably because I’m not ranting about something I have no experience of"

Marty, there is a challenge right here for you, I challenge you to go through my past posts and find posts that I had been disrespectful towards other posters on here and that I have “basically been ranting about something I have no experience of”. Go on , Marty, prove you were not talking from your rear side.

If you have some info that could be useful for others, thinking about Canada, it would be good if you could share it on here, with us, especially numbers based on facts, as numbers are in very short supply on here.

1. “Canadian truckers who are experiencing it for themselves, so I’d appreciate you not clogging up this forum with your sour opinions and let the guys who know speak about their valued opinions, thank you!”

If you knew me from the past posts on here, and my “unacceptable” ranting, why didn’t you indicate in your opening post, you didn’t want to hear anything from me, it would have made life easier for both of us, and others as well.

My opinions, are not sour, Marty, they indicate what a new emigrant to Canada, a driver, can experience in his first years of working there, and what’s there after a driver gets his PR, you need to grow a backbone Marty, and stop sucking up to those that want to keep you in check on this board, if you want to get anywhere, and get reliable, verified by others, opinions, and facts.

As I said, Marty, I might be wrong with some of my findings, so let us know what you have learned, and who knows, you might be able to convince me and others, we have wrong info about the job in Canada.

One more question Marty, what terms and conditions were you offered when you called H&R and Walters?

As someone mentioned here earlier your best bet is Agri-tel, or Bulk Carriers based in PEI, if you don’t mind which province you end up in, if you are that desperate to go anyway.

MartyG:
Hkloss you need to wind your neck in, if your not happy with your found results then back off and leave these sites, you clearly haven’t spoke to happy drivers only the usual drivers airing their souls cos they can’t be arsed making something of themselves and only ppl like you take them at their word, if you truly wanted to move to Canada you’d have taken that step during your 3 yr research, working for stobart is not the top of the tree by far so comparing your job to those in Canada is a bit of a moo point Canada is a vast continent with thousands of drivers, iv had pm from drivers who have given me more information and advice probably because I’m not ranting about something I have no experience of, I’ve been driving in the UK for over 25 yrs and for many many companies I’m happy with what I have and yes I’m on a good wage with a turn over close to 40k but I want to make a different life for my family and so I’m willing to graft and work my way back up that ladder which is why I’m on here asking for advice from current Canadian truckers who are experiencing it for themselves, so I’d appreciate you not clogging up this forum with your sour opinions and let the guys who know speak about their valued opinions, thank you!

If you on near £40k/yr in UK and don’t hate your job/lifestyle I’d be doing a HELLUVA research before moving to ANYWHERE unless its that beach spot in Mauritius to retire!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
If you on near £40k/yr in UK and don’t hate your job/lifestyle I’d be doing a HELLUVA research before moving to ANYWHERE unless its that beach spot in Mauritius to retire!!!

Exactly. From what I have seen 40k is a good wage in the UK, I see lots of posts on here where guys earn far less, pay over there has really deteriorated over the last 17 years but 40k in the UK nothing to complain about. Taking current exchange rates into account I make the equivalent of 65 to 70K in the UK and I really struggle to make ends meet here, admittedly we have a large house with half and acre of land and a swimming pool etc but every week is tough trying to budget. Unlike most driving jobs in Canada I get home every Friday afternoon and don’t start again until mostly Monday mornings with the occasional Sunday evening start and I get home one or two nights a week. If you are serious about looking for driving jobs in Canada find something with an expected wage of over $100K a year … Good luck with that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pat Hasler:

Big Truck:

Exactly. From what I have seen 40k is a good wage in the UK, I see lots of posts on here where guys earn far less, pay over there has really deteriorated over the last 17 years but 40k in the UK nothing to complain about. Taking current exchange rates into account I make the equivalent of 65 to 70K in the UK and I really struggle to make ends meet here, admittedly we have a large house with half and acre of land and a swimming pool etc but every week is tough trying to budget. Unlike most driving jobs in Canada I get home every Friday afternoon and don’t start again until mostly Monday mornings with the occasional Sunday evening start and I get home one or two nights a week. If you are serious about looking for driving jobs in Canada find something with an expected wage of over $100K a year … Good luck with that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Deffo not for new starts/immigrants but once free of the shackles you can earn that money Pat , not on general and that’s been my point . Sit on your arse moaning about pay hauling dry vans ,or, go to the oil patch (still recruiting), car hauling , hazmat ,tankers as you well know, all these and more demand a premium . I was recently in Edmonton which is our HO for Western Canada , fairly certain one third of the drivers based there are Brits , just don’t see too many of them whining on here for some reason :wink:

Pat Hasler:

Big Truck:

Shall we back track a little here fellas never once did I complain about my wage yes I’m aware it’s a good wage but I’m self employed so I’ve still got my tax, ni, insurance and accountant to pay along with the everyday bills but that was not my reason for being on here nor was any wage for that matter I have enough experience and know how to get a good wage if I want it, I wanted to know who if anyone in Canada has LMIA, from what I can gather AB is no longer in the frame, I’m well aware there is a wage difference but there are also ■■■■ wage packets here I’m not expecting to sail over and step into a 100k job but I ain’t stupid enough to take a 30k job either believe it or not I’m not looking for a pot of gold I’m looking for a new experience and along the way as I have here I’ll negotiate a better wage in good time

hkloss1:
@neilg14

In your first post on this thread you advised the OP not to go to Canada and go to work for Stobart. Do you see the double standard there?

I see it and I will say to you in my official capacity of internet policeman, if you’re going to dish it out, expect to take it in return.

Now with my police helmet back on it’s peg, I’ll say this to you, I think you’re nothing more than a troll, you say you want advice about Canada, yet you ask your questions after posting negative things about the work over here, the time away from home etc, I’m not alone in spotting the passive aggressive nature of your posts, which is why you get the responses you receive.

If you base your decision on financial comparisons then you do need to do your research. You will get at least 10,000miles per month at whatever cpm rate you get at your chosen company, so you have a rough idea of your take home pay, search the rental adds for accommodation in that area, look at the cost of used cars, go online at a grocery store and do an online shop to find out the costs involved, do this for all the things you need to live and subtract it all from your estimated take home pay and that will answer the questions about finances. It’s quite simple.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Stobarts■■? :unamused: You are crazy I went for a job interview there and the rates of pay are ■■■■ house! 8.75 an hour for night shift and the job would have seen me away from home 6 out of 7 nights taking home 400 quid a week. Most of the drivers are polish so the tv show is full of ■■■■, even fuel tanker drivers at Stobarts are on a ■■■■ wage.
I drove in Australia and came here and drove, got my european driving badge and i can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that i could easily double my wage driving in Australia. Trucking in the UK is really ■■■■ money and the best money I ever made was driving skip bins in London taking home 2 and a half a month.

If you want to go to Canada I’d say give it a go. Honestly what do you have to lose. From what I’ve seen you can make really good coin there and yeah in some cases you will have to work a bit on the cheap until you get you PR but just take that as your apprenticeship. You will be driving road trains and road ranger gear boxes there something the UK and Europe dont have so jump at it.

aussietrucker:
Stobarts■■? :unamused: You are crazy I went for a job interview there and the rates of pay are [zb] house! 8.75 an hour for night shift and the job would have seen me away from home 6 out of 7 nights taking home 400 quid a week. Most of the drivers are polish so the tv show is full of [zb], even fuel tanker drivers at Stobarts are on a [zb] wage.
I drove in Australia and came here and drove, got my european driving badge and i can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that i could easily double my wage driving in Australia. Trucking in the UK is really [zb] money and the best money I ever made was driving skip bins in London taking home 2 and a half a month.

If you want to go to Canada I’d say give it a go. Honestly what do you have to lose. From what I’ve seen you can make really good coin there and yeah in some cases you will have to work a bit on the cheap until you get you PR but just take that as your apprenticeship. You will be driving road trains and road ranger gear boxes there something the UK and Europe dont have so jump at it.

I think your figure of £400 take home for Stobarts doing 6nights out/week is “slightly” out!!![emoji52] [emoji6]

yeah a slight exaggeration on 400 a week but regardless its still ■■■■ money. :grimacing:

But anyway as i said you should still have a crack. Don’t die wondering is what I always say. My wife is European and we will be moving to Europe in a few years and Im planning on buying a tractor unit and a trailer and having a go, if it all fails we pack it up and move to Australia where i can guarantee a decent weekly wage, have a plan B for sure if you are like me married with a child but still have a go. :open_mouth:

aussietrucker:
yeah a slight exaggeration on 400 a week but regardless its still [zb] money. :grimacing:

But anyway as i said you should still have a crack. Don’t die wondering is what I always say. My wife is European and we will be moving to Europe in a few years and Im planning on buying a tractor unit and a trailer and having a go, if it all fails we pack it up and move to Australia where i can guarantee a decent weekly wage, have a plan B for sure if you are like me married with a child but still have a go. :open_mouth:

Hei guys,

Nothing to do with truck driving,more to do with regreting a decision when one gets too old,aussietrucker is right,dont leave it too late,dont think," nahh it will be ok,i wont regret it,wont regret not going and having a go",you will,and it will eat away at you til the day you die,you will ask yourself,“what if i had tried,where would we all be now”

I have but one regret in my life,and i think about it everyday,i always wanted to be a ships captain,i applied and got a place at “Maritimeskole” in a place called Honningsåg,my ex wife told me under no cicumstanses would she support or help me,so to save my marriage and keep her happy, i turned down the place at School,needless to say,we were divorced a few years ago,and not a freakin day goes by that i dont regret telling her to ■■■■ off,

Give it a go if you really want to experiance Canada,Aus,New Zealand ext ext,but like aussietrucker says,have a back up plan,best of luck to you all,

Chris