Jobs for Brits in Canada

Been seeing quite a few post lately of guys looking at making the move out here but they seem to be finding that not many companies are having LMOs for bring drivers over, I dont know all that much about the LMO thingy, but there are others on here who will be able to give more of a insight into that side of things. As has been said many times before on these forums the job out here so very different from what most of us were use to in the UK and not to everyones taste, I for one had only ever run on UK work and had the weekends off so for me it was a big change to what I was used too, think the drivers who have come from doing the european work seem to fit in with the way job works out here a little better, although there are plenty of others who have taken to it just as well. For us it wasnt just about the job, we were leaving the UK for elsewhere anyway so I needed to work where ever we went to live, but as Id been driving since 1992 a job in telesales was never going to happen for me :laughing: The firm I now work for has now had a gut full of brit drivers over the last year and it was said this week in our office its now maybe time to stop hiring brits, what could end up in being a very big nail in the coffin of our flat deck side of work, was this week when a brit loaded from just about our most important customer for flat deck work going south, he just dumped the loaded truck in the yard with not a word to anyone and never came back, as the boss said why take on the load if his plan was to quit, the load had to be returned to the shipper and given to another company, I just hope for the sake of our other flat deck drivers that damage done can be repaired, I for one wont be putting a word in for anyone else in the future at our place thats for sure :imp:
I never got on with the firm I first worked for out here but was lucky enough to find another job where I am now settled, even thou I still had the decency to go in and tell them that I was leaving, so maybe the high percentage of brit drivers who just seem to think its fine to walk with not so much as a word to the employer could have something to do with less and less firms handing LMO`s out for brit drivers,
I could well be wrong on this and most probably am :laughing: but its just a thought.
To anyone trying to get on with a firm out here, I wish you all the best and really hope you can find a firm and make it work for you.

yup spot on imo…but ive seen cradles do the <dump the truck ) trick.,on the handing yuor notice in lark …when i left Dubois i gave 2wks notice but asked for the 2nd wk as holidays due all agreed but still didnt stop the little sht of a HR man (no man in my eyes)from bad mouthing me to anyone that was passing …so i reicently heard …sorry for the growl ,i still think they are a good firm. on another track :unamused: do the brits with your firm never wave back or answer their cbs when people wave …or do they no like scots tipper drivers lol

jimmy-----st.agathe to grunthal quarry(weibe pit)… 7times a day for the next wk …aagggghhhhh. lol
scots by the grace o god ,canadian by choice!

I’ll say hello to you Jimmy…If I ever see you :laughing:

Now back on topic, this is a subject that I have strong feelings about, so here I go :open_mouth:

Canada had a driver shortage, so they let us come over to fill the gap, some of us have integrated very well, some of us haven’t, there are a few reasons for that.

Some of us came over with the intention of taking full advantage of the opportunities that Canada had to offer.

Some of us came over because we were sick to death of Britain and thought that Canada would be better.

Some of us came over because it had all gone wrong for them in Britain, things like bankruptcy, giving the marriage another try, kids that were going off the rails, no decent jobs in their area, fell out with close friends and family blah blah blah.

Now within those categories there are sub categories, in the first case, people came over as long haul drivers, did their time got their PR and continue to do the job that they came to do, then there are those that got PR then did something different, some even got out of driving altogether.

In the second case, there are also two sub categories, people that have integrated into the Canadian way and the small minded people that view Canadians as foreigners.

In the third case, there are those that have learned from the mistakes they made in the past, put it all behind them and moved on, then there are those who continue to make bad decisions similar to the ones that led them to leave Britain in the first place.

Then there’s another category, the ■■■■■■■■■■

The Canadian opinion of us Brits is very divided, they either think that we’re hard working, reliable, decent people or they think that we’re a bunch of ■■■■■■ up yobbos, depending on which group they’ve bumped into. This applies to companies as well the average Canadian on the street.

So when a company has experience of Brits and the overwhelming majority of them are a waste of space, you can see why they’re not so excited about us anymore. Take NiaNiamh as a prime example, his company is one of the good ones, the Boss is a decent bloke, the trucks are new and well looked after and the work/money is up there with the best of them, (if I wasn’t so happy at my place I would be there looking for a job and I’m as fussy as they come) in the last year they’ve had a few Brits leave, one was due to illness, that’s genuine, but the rest have left for one reason only, they shouldn’t be in Canada in the first place. That could be because they can’t do the job they came into the country to do, or that they don’t want to, either way, they give the rest of us a bad name, but it’s made worse by the way some of them go about it.

Yeah the Canadians do the same I’m sure, but Canadians don’t have to jump through hoops to get jobs, we do and all this has done is make it difficult for anyone who wants to come over here in the future, Nianiamh’s boss has LMOs (the most important thing for getting foreign workers) yet he would rather park a truck than get another Brit, even though he has four or five that do a very good job, the ones that have gone have left such a bad taste in his mouth that he isn’t prepared to take a chance again.

Following on from that, I can add a little substance to Nianiamh OP and the catalyst for this thread.

There’s a Brit who came over, he had SFA so a fellow Brit was kind enough to put him up in his home, he also found out that the bloke didn’t have a clue about how to do the job, this was because he had never done the job back in the UK, but had lied on his application, so this bloke spent a lot of time trying to teach him how to do the job, he invested a lot of time and energy in trying to help this bloke, then other people also tried to help him, things weren’t working out at his original firm, we all thought it was because that particular firm is a disgrace, but it turns out that wasn’t the case at all.

He was, despite reservations, recommended to Nianiamh’s company, the reservations were that the bloke’s inexperience meant that he was doing things wrong, or so we thought, it turned out that he was doing things the way he did them because he couldn’t give a toss about anyone or anything. He paid no attention to driver’s hours, was constantly late for deliveries/collections, didn’t look after his truck (a brand new Peterbilt) all pretty embarrassing for the people that recommended him for the job.

As well as that, he constantly slags off the poor bloke that put a roof over his head, saying that his house is a dump and is dirty, that the son is a horrible little ■■■■ that needs a good hiding, that he won’t take a shower there because even the water is dirty. He goes around to everyone telling his little hard luck story, gets their sympathy, takes advantage of their hospitality (he can sniff out a Roast Dinner from a hundred miles) then moves onto the next victim.

He treats people that help him like this, so god only knows how he treats strangers, as always it only takes one person like this to give the rest of us a bad name…

It does get rather embarrassing to be a Brit at times :blush: :blush:
The ones who really cheese me off are the ones who think it’s ok to blatantly break the HOS regulations because we are on log books, they knew the score before coming so accept the regs or forget them and go somewhere else. :smiling_imp:
The ones who came here to escape bankruptcy and left huge debts behind them and continue to live the same way here are a disgrace. A disgrace to themselves and to their family. :cry:
I know some that are on their 4th or 5th cell phone with different providers because they run up huge bills then don’t pay :unamused: :unamused: