LHD Seddon-Atkinson 400s

FFS - agreed Robert,

Cheers, Keith

In order to have more orders from the ınternatıonal hauliers Seddon’s marketıng dıvısıon used OHS Transport Ltd trucks wıth OHS Logos…as ı have ın early quotes mentıoned had no trouble wıth them…kınd regards

gazsa401:
Just found these on Facebook so not my pictures
LHD Seddon Atkinson 400 promotional adverts

Here’s Greek left-■■■■■■, unusually in 3-axle config. Robert

One of OHS’s LHD SA 400s on the Middle-East trail. robert

ERF-NGC-European:

A trailing axle conversion, presumably?

240 Gardner:

ERF-NGC-European:

A trailing axle conversion, presumably?

Almost certainly. Greece took some 8-leggers with lift-trailing axles. There is an example of a UK rigid left-■■■■■■ somewhere on this thread. Robert

Article from 1975.

Click on pages twice to read.

advert seddon atki 19752.PNG

DEANB:
Article from 1975.

Notice the title - no mention of Seddon! :laughing:

Euro Test part 1 July 1978.

Euro Test part 2 August 1978.

^^^^^^Nice one Deano - cheers! Mine weren’t clickable on :wink: but these are! :sunglasses: Robert

This is the unit they used in the Ardenne (Belgian) truck test. R

I wonder why the LHD-400-series had the badge “Seddon” with the logo of the wedding couple
but without Atkinson mentioned? For that the marketing-campaign “bring back the big A”?

In 1970 (?) Seddon acquired Atkinson but why some four years later Atkinson is not mentioned?

I’ve found a copy of the “Seddon prototype” mentioning the ■■■■■■■ NTC335 installed, hence
the Continental version by Hocké

ERF-Continental:
I wonder why the LHD-400-series had the badge “Seddon” with the logo of the wedding couple
but without Atkinson mentioned? For that the marketing-campaign “bring back the big A”?

In 1970 (?) Seddon acquired Atkinson but why some four years later Atkinson is not mentioned?

I’ve found a copy of the “Seddon prototype” mentioning the ■■■■■■■ NTC335 installed, hence

Yes, the prototype was first shown in Amsterdam in 1974. Your picture appears in the early brochure (further back on this thread). The grille and badges are all pre-production. The Atkinson ‘A’ re-appeared on Seddon-Atkinsons at the request of customers previously faithful to the Atkinson marque, many of whom were already affixing old ones to their grilles.

Ro

You’re quite right there the “Big A” was reintroduced when the 01 range was launched
Cheers Gary [emoji106]

gazsa401:
You’re quite right there the “Big A” was reintroduced when the 01 range was launched
Cheers Gary [emoji106]

thanks gaza!

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-Continental:

Yes, the prototype was first shown in Amsterdam in 1974. Your picture appears in the early brochure (further back on this thread). The grille and badges are all pre-production. The Atkinson ‘A’ re-appeared on Seddon-Atkinsons at the request of customers previously faithful to the Atkinson marque, many of whom were already affixing old ones to their grilles.

Ro

Particularly grating when the chassis engineering of the 400 Series range was solidly Atkinson! The staff at Winery Lane got their own back though - the 400 Series day cab used for a lot of the photos was prepped at Winery Lane for an event held there for the 400 Series launch.

If you look at the photos in the original 400 Series brochure, the rear shot shows the nearside tail light bracket with nothing below the lamps, apart from four holes: there had been a reflective snail badge there, mimicking the established Atkinson practice of a yellow reflective A plate to match the number plate. Someone had removed the snail badge and chucked it away, then replaced it with an Atkinson one. They also put an A on the front, and then bent all the fixings over, front and back, so they couldn’t just be unscrewed! The disgruntled Oldham people managed to get them off before Tony Price took the brochure photos, but had no replacement :laughing:

Not to make things more worse…here a 1974-leaflet in which ■■■■■■■ ‘highlights’ the Seddon prototype.
Strange as by the same date the Seddon Atkinson 400-series was announced at Amsterdam 1974 Show. To
my opinion a very promissing truck without involving the merge.

Well the ■■■■■■■ NTC-335 was there…as with the Leyland Marathon, the Foden, the ERF and so on.

The leaflet comes from the CDB-legacy…remember that they represented ■■■■■■■ since 1936 in Belgium

ERF-Continental:
Not to make things more worse…here a 1974-leaflet in which ■■■■■■■ ‘highlights’ the Seddon prototype.
Strange as by the same date the Seddon Atkinson 400-series was announced at Amsterdam 1974 Show. To
my opinion a very promissing truck without involving the merge.

Well the ■■■■■■■ NTC-335 was there…as with the Leyland Marathon, the Foden, the ERF and so on.

The leaflet comes from the CDB-legacy…remember that they represented ■■■■■■■ since 1936 in Belgium

Thank you! An important contribution to this thread. They must have thought a day-cab would sell well! Ro