LHD Foden 4000-series

[zb]
anorak:

railstaff:
I wonder why that bottom one has the cab set up so high.Would suggest the fitting of a larger engine.

Soma or atlantic engineering hub reductions too?

It’s quite a bit different from the norm. The step panel is deeper, plus the cab is mounted further above the lamps. It’s on 24" wheels too, if I’m not mistaken.

Although a diff doesn’t appear visible on the front axle, it did occur to me that it might be one Foden’s 6x6 military chassis. Robert

I cant make my mind up,but on further inspection those hub reductions look like Iveco with flat end caps.The MAN/Merc atlantic engineering jobs had dished end caps.I could/probably I’m totally wrong.If I remember rightly the somas had a mass ring of bolts around the perimeter of the hub.

Just zoomed in at 200%.MAN/Merc Atlantic engineering made under license Eaton copys.That was a mouthful.Any ideas on the lung?

Hi All,
backend seems Rockwell to me, not Eaton. Pretty much like mine:

Wobbe caption mentions a “■■■■■■■ NTE410 powered 6 x 4”. He notes the high mounting of the cab, but gives no reason. I notice a possible hydraulics tank of sorts behind the cab. Maybe auxilary equipment has something to do with cab mounting?

Regards

Rolf

rolfkerkhof:
Hi All,
backend seems Rockwell to me, not Eaton. Pretty much like mine:

Wobbe caption mentions a “■■■■■■■ NTE410 powered 6 x 4”. He notes the high mounting of the cab, but gives no reason. I notice a possible hydraulics tank of sorts behind the cab. Maybe auxilary equipment has something to do with cab mounting?

Regards

Rolf

That Dutch one in the picture was fitted with an Eaton Twin-splitter, so could have been Rockwell (or Eaton). Robert

The hubs look a lot bigger to me.

Following the discovery of Bromillow’s LHD S106 further up this page, I’ve just found a picture on ebay showing a later F-reg LHD 4000-series in Bromillow’s livery. Anyone know what 'box it had? The engine’s a 450 so probably a ■■■■■■■ (as the Cats in those tended to be 455s). Robert

French Foden.

DEANB:
French Foden.

:sunglasses: :slight_smile:

I had a pint with one of the regular drivers of these recently. He reported that they were fitted with Twin-splitters and were really lovely to drive :sunglasses: . Robert

s-l640.jpg

As reported earlier in the thread, these Swiss jobs had 13-sp Fullers and 450 Cats. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Following the discovery of Bromillow’s LHD S106 further up this page, I’ve just found a picture on ebay showing a later F-reg LHD 4000-series in Bromillow’s livery. Anyone know what 'box it had? The engine’s a 450 so probably a ■■■■■■■ (as the Cats in those tended to be 455s). Robert

Looking at the picture, this has the CAT engine badge on the bottom left of the grill. We had an E reg 4400 with a 400bhp 3406b CAT in it. A few months later the 4406C CAT came out and was 425 BHP, but Foden badged the tractors as 4450.

nyk473l:

ERF-NGC-European:

Looking at the picture, this has the CAT engine badge on the bottom left of the grill. We had an E reg 4400 with a 400bhp 3406b CAT in it. A few months later the 4406C CAT came out and was 425 BHP, but Foden badged the tractors as 4450.

Cheers Nyk. Robert

[zb]
anorak:
Fascinating stuff- those Fodens use the same engine as the Mk1 Transcon- NTC355E- so that engine was not a Ford “special” after all. The 308hp DIN rating would be the derated version in the Hxx31 Transcon. I guess the 340hp “full fat” version of the engine would also be available in the Foden chassis.

The only thing Ford in a Transcontinental was the blue badge or the name

Wonder what engine and gearbox this LHD old girl had. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

Rolls and Foden box seems to have been the default choice in the day for domestic spec.Maybe ■■■■■■■ and Fuller for export customers ?.Strange how it’s got no engine badge so possibly just a demo with the option of mix and match any of those to choice.

ERF-NGC-European:

Page 1 and 2 of this thread say NTC 335. 1976 models with the square badge had NTC355. Can’t back that up, because the ■■■■ has removed the brochure from his post.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

Page 1 and 2 of this thread say NTC 335. 1976 models with the square badge had NTC355. Can’t back that up, because the [zb] has removed the brochure from his post.

If you look on page 2 you’ll see that I re-posted the removed brochure (having had the sense to download it before it disappeared! :laughing: ). It had LHD, NTC 335 and Foden 12-sp box. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

Page 1 and 2 of this thread say NTC 335. 1976 models with the square badge had NTC355. Can’t back that up, because the [zb] has removed the brochure from his post.

If you look on page 2 you’ll see that I re-posted the removed brochure (having had the sense to download it before it disappeared! :laughing: ). It had LHD, NTC 335 and Foden 12-sp box. Robert

Not that one; the other one :slight_smile: , which covered the later version of the same vehicle. Intriguingly, it had the same engine as the Transcon, which was reported as being exclusive to that vehicle, at the time. The brochure should have been on page 1 of this thread, given that the first post on page 2 refers to it! I can’t find it now, and none of the posts on page 2 quotes it, so it’s gone. :imp: .

We’ve had this stupidity before, on the ERF threads, then it spread to the Vabis LV. ■■■■■■ That last unprintable word was a plural, referring to the idiots who consider scans of old photographs etc. as their own intellectual property, to be loaned as a favour, then taken back on whatever childish whim. A bit of education would not go amiss: laws protecting original thought from free copying are intended to encourage originality. However, the hoarding of historical information discourages/restricts further investigation by others. The law does not protect that behaviour; quite the opposite- if you find a hoard of Roman coins in your field, expect State-sponsored archaeologists to commandeer the land, until the artifacts have been preserved for everyone. ■■■■■■

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

Not that one; the other one :slight_smile: , which covered the later version of the same vehicle. Intriguingly, it had the same engine as the Transcon, which was reported as being exclusive to that vehicle, at the time. The brochure should have been on page 1 of this thread, given that the first post on page 2 refers to it! I can’t find it now, and none of the posts on page 2 quotes it, so it’s gone. :imp: .

We’ve had this stupidity before, on the ERF threads, then it spread to the Vabis LV. [zb]. That last unprintable word was a plural, referring to the idiots who consider scans of old photographs etc. as their own intellectual property, to be loaned as a favour, then taken back on whatever childish whim. A bit of education would not go amiss: laws protecting original thought from free copying are intended to encourage originality. However, the hoarding of historical information discourages/restricts further investigation by others. The law does not protect that behaviour; quite the opposite- if you find a hoard of Roman coins in your field, expect State-sponsored archaeologists to commandeer the land, until the artifacts have been preserved for everyone. [zb].

I couldn’t agree more! Pure ignorance! Robert