Re Old Photos P. Hauser

Great photo remember the Foden well ,but never drove it but i know Andy Lowe who drove it regular said it overheated a lot on the Swiss and Italy runs.I worked for Hauser when he was in the lock ups on Whitworth St just before we moved to the M.I.F.T. had the pleasure of driving one of the 2 old ERF flatbacks (Jake had the other), and then was delighted to take delivery a brand new Scania tilt with a big decal of a dancing frog on the side and rear (with HOP INTO EUROPE DAILY). I did a lot of work out of Stanstead in those days and regular runs to London.
Sorry no old pics though.
Rob

class pic that mate looks like its under the mancunian way , lads i knew in the 70,s the dad drove for them drove for them surname herbert

Larry, according to my info its a DAXB6/38 model designed for 38 ton and had the then new Gardner 8LXB 240bhp and as you say had the newly designed 10Ton double reduction axle. The model used many of the parts fitted to the Eight Wheeler with the S.50 cab but this had the new wider S.70 fibreglass cab. It first appeared at the 1970 Earls Court Show with the eight legger and another S.60 (Steel cab) 6x4 tractor with a ■■■■■■■ NT270B plated for 44.5 Tons, all in anticipation that the new regs would allow the higher weights! Cheers Franky.

Frankydobo:
Larry, according to my info its a DAXB6/38 model designed for 38 ton and had the then new Gardner 8LXB 240bhp and as you say had the newly designed 10Ton double reduction axle. The model used many of the parts fitted to the Eight Wheeler with the S.50 cab but this had the new wider S.70 fibreglass cab. It first appeared at the 1970 Earls Court Show with the eight legger and another S.60 (Steel cab) 6x4 tractor with a ■■■■■■■ NT270B plated for 44.5 Tons, all in anticipation that the new regs would allow the higher weights! Cheers Franky.

I used to work out of Hauser Bradford but sometimes loaded out of their manchester depot on Trafford Park, i can vaguely remember loading out of M.I.F.T in around 89 - 90 would that have been Hauser there was a company called J.E.T.S that were always loading there on mad fridays

I used to work with the Hauser boys when I drove for MAT in MIFT Trafford Park. They had 3 decent Scanias, one of them was an old MAT motor, but they had some old tackle. The groupage boys used to run some old ERFs and I mean old. We also had a Leyland boxer on for them at the time and they used to service our motors in the garage in what is now the last shed at the bottom of the yard. The fuel tank was down there as well. I remeber they got a contract for a paint company and then they got another strange contract for importing and distributing fresh fruit (melons a speciality) we all ate well. Hauser was in 5 shed and it was run by a guy called Mike Gregory. My god the bloody tales I could tell about Hauser/Mat and MIFT would make your toes curl upwards. :blush:

Bob -lad spot on with the Herbert surname first name was Jeff and Carlc i started on one of the ERF’s ,Jake had the other also had that boxer of yours for a while,then got the new Scania tilt rigid with hop into europe daily splatterd all over it and a dancing frog,the paint was a back load from London from Ripolin paints in Southhall,also did a few of the satsuma runs and remember turning up at on depot with about 50 boxes floating about (a pallet had collapsed (took me hours to rebox em) :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: Also remember one of the lads going under a low bridge with same on and spread them all over the road .Mike Gregory when i was there run MAT and Mike Gibbons run the Hauser side,He and Pete Treacy (Treacle)left to set up hotels in Blackpool both still there but not in the hotel game and the only other i was still in touch with was Harry Charles who sadly died last year
Rob

Rob
Remember them well. That Boxer had a V6 Perkins engine in it as a test bed for Perkins because we had a big contract with them out of Peterbourgh taking built up engines to Belgrade and bringing rough cast blocks back. We also has a Scania 110 with a V8 Perkins in it. The motor went like split 88it but it would not pull your cap off and if you were going into a corner on low revs the power steering fell asleep. But Hauser and MAT had a big link and they used to handle all our groupage until we got our own shed, firstly the old Garage and later on 2 shed. I remeber once bringing Hausers Kangaroo trailer back from Dover with the brakes as dodgy as hell and nearly jacknifed the bloody thing going into the Dartford tunnel. Can you remeber that bloody rig we had for lifting removable roofs off our containers, just imagine that now with all the H&S regulations?
Cliff

rebbyvid … is this the Scania your talking about ? I found it on the Scrapbook thread.

My first job on leaving school was in the signal box at Ashbury’s - Manchester, I remember the J reg Foden use to sometimes be parked on spare ground alongside the railway sidings in Ardwick East goods yard on Ashton Old Rd back in 1972. There was usually another artic of Hauser’s parked up with it an ERF LV I think, the Foden caught my eye always looking prestine at the time.
So I took my camera to work one morning hoping to get a photo of it, but this was all I found on the spot that day … the trailer it had just left behind, and the 2 cars the drivers came in parked along side.

Hi Tipit
Thanks for the pics yes that was my Scania and brings back a lot of memories spent about 5 years at Hausers until the general haulage strike ruined it all (i then went back to my roots on Allinson Stone)And Carl there were a lot of things we wouldnt get away with now :unamused: but one of the best driving jobs i have had and a great bunch of lads
Rob

Hi rebbyvid,

I’ve put a few photo’s of Allinson’s tippers on the Peak District thread have you seen them ? an L.A.D. Reiver, Foden S80 and the Maggie Deutz’s.
A couple of my uncles drove for them in the mid 60’s … Ron and Dave Hartley.

Paul.

Cheers Paul will have a look ,I had a reiver when i first started before we moved on to Fodens, knew a Ronnie Hartley who worked for Robinsons Brewery and lived in S. Reddish but 60s was a bit early for me at Allinsons ,I started in 70 then left for the spell at Hausers then back for second spell leaving for a stint with Collier waste and am now in my 3rd stint (25 years this one) although we are now Travis Perkins and i have been the Tool hire manager for a few years.

Yes it’s the same Ronnie Hartley, he last worked on the drays at Robinson’s Brewery.
He died from a heart attack while at work in Jan '97 though, we were all shocked because he seemed to have always kept himself so fit.
But between driving for Allinson’s and Robbies Brewery, he drove for Blue Cap when they had Bedford TM’s and Nelstrop’s, then as a welder somewhere.

Yes Tipit new Ronnie well used to drink with him in Greg st club ,great bloke and like you say a shock as was one of his mates Neil Burgon.Got a job on the dray thro Ronnie years back but Allinsons gave me a bad reference :cry: :cry: and then they gave me a new lorry so i wouldnt leave :unamused: :unamused:
Rob

TIPIT:

i took this photo about 1989-90 of the volvo globtrotter in dover docks

Hello rebbyvid, I wonder if you can remember a bloke who drove or subbied for Hauser in the early seventies called Stan Warmbold from Newton Heath. I am sure that Stan mentioned it to me once, in fact it might of even been in the late sixties that he drove for them doing West Germany and Swiss.
My few memories of Hausers go back to the early eighties when they were in one of the five sheds at M.I.F.T.
From there I.I.R.C. they moved to a small new place in the early nineties in Trafford Park where they stayed for about a year and then they moved into a bigger place on what could of been Trafford Park Road. I have a feeling that this place used to be an export packaging place as I had loaded a machine from there for Greece some ten years previous.
In the early nineties I seem to remember that a lad called Brian was the boss, Keith was the checker and a really nice old guy who came from Helmshore used to write everything down by hand in the goods received book. They must of had a computer by then but everything always seemed be written down in the book first. They were a good set of lads although the two forkies Dessy and the West Indian guy called Danny seemed to throw a sickie most Monday mornings :laughing: .
My Mate John Harrison sent me these photos a few years back so I thought that I would share them with you, Keith the checker is the guy in the second photo.

Regards Steve.

Hi Mushroomman
I was there in the late 70s hence the new S reg Scania and yes we were in shed 5 at the M.I.F.T. if its the same Stan (cant remember his second name ) but a thick set lad with glasses on and looked a bit of a hobo :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: .Danny was a loader at the M.I.F.T. but was a young lad in them days there was a Keith Locket there then as foreman (that is him in the second pic )his uncle Ronnie and Mo who were a great bunch of lads .Did go back for a spell in the 80s working for one of the subbies on the satsuma (market run)