LHD Foden 4000-series

robert1952:
Many thanks for sharing those with us, Jimbotruck! I’m looking forward to seeing her out and about. Here’s your pic the right way up. Cheers. Robert :smiley:

jimbotruck:

robert1952:
Many thanks for sharing those with us, Jimbotruck! I’m looking forward to seeing her out and about. Here’s your pic the right way up. Cheers. Robert :smiley:

Nice one! Are you going to show the old girl? Robert

The Swiss globe-trotting LHD Foden again. Robert

Hi all,

On LHD Fodens.

Sometime in 1994 I saw, what I think might be Jim’s Foden, being delivered at Eurocamion in Herselt Belgium, one of the very few Foden dealers on the continent. I had a test drive courtesy of the happy new owner. In December 1994 I saw my own Foden 4410 6x4 delivered and had it type approved in Holland.

Specs Foden 4410, 6 x 4:

Hiline Cab (color Lotus Green), ■■■■■■■ NT14 410 with Jake brake, hefty Eaton Twinsplitter 15612, heavy duty Spicer 1800Nm drive shaft, Rockwell RTA52 20 ton double drive bogie on Airtrac air suspension.

It got oil tank cooler and double hydraulic pump, furthermore pneumatic switches to operate trailer extension and electric switches to operate manual steering of trailer from inside the cab. It was normaly used to pull a Faymonville steered tri-axle and 5,5 m extendable logging trailer. A 20 tm Loglift Sl200 logging crane was fitted to the trailer. Thanks to the Airtrac and short wheelbase the Foden was low enough to couple to the standard EU trailers of the time. Although normally used for Dutch long timber transport it has been as far a field as Frejus into Nortnern Italy.

It featured in several magazines including Foden Magazine and Trucking International. (see here). Some piccies below.

As far as I know it was the last active Foden on Dutch plates

regards

Rolf

rolfkerkhof:
Hi all,

On LHD Fodens.

Sometime in 1994 I saw, what I think might be Jim’s Foden, being delivered at Eurocamion in Herselt Belgium, one of the very few Foden dealers on the continent. I had a test drive courtesy of the happy new owner. In December I saw my own Foden 4410 6x4 delivered and had it type approved in Holland.

Specs Foden 4410, 6 x 4:

Highline Cab (color Lotus Green), ■■■■■■■ NT14 410 with Jake brake, hefty Eaton Twinsplitter 15612, heavy duty Spicer 1800Nm drive shaft, Rockwell RTA52 20 ton double drive bogie on Airtrac air suspension.

It got oil tank cooler and double hydraulic pump, furthermore pneumatic switches to operate trailer extension and electric switches to operate manual steering of trailer from inside the cab. It was normaly used to pull a Faymonville steered tri-axle and 5,5 m extendable logging trailer. A 20 tm Loglift Sl200 logging crane was fitted to the trailer. Thanks to the Airtrac and short wheelbase the Foden was low enough to couple to the standard EU trailers of the time. Although normally used for Dutch long timber transport it has been as far a field as Frejus into Nortnern Italy.

It featured in several magazines including Foden Magazine and Trucking International. (see here). Some piccies below.

As far as I know it was the last active Foden on Dutch plates

regards

Rolf

Fantastic contribution to the thread! :smiley: Thank you. Robert

Rolf…top input!!! Eurocamions was a daughter of Etn. Moorkens from Kontich-Edegem and they
‘struggled’ with quite some dealerships in Herselt…a yard with many leftovers, Pegaso, Iveco
and a lot of construction-equipment. Moorkens nowadays is active in cars, Volkswagen etc.

Hi all,

thanks, since you’re so interested I will see if I can dig up some more piccies, if i find some time

regards

Rolf

This one appears to be Spanish. Can’t actually see the steering wheel but the wipers are set up for LHD

image.jpg

Limey:
This one appears to be Spanish. Can’t actually see the steering wheel but the wipers are set up for LHD

Well done that man! Yes, it’s definitely Spanish. Thanks for posting. Robert

Limey:

Limey,

You are correct, Padrosa had several fodens I think they were all cat powered, but might by wrong,
They were based in figueras, and used to have a big depot in barcelona, they joined up / took over “catalan” who used to have a fleet of magnums painted green and yellow.

They (Padrosa) packed up 2 or 3 years ago as they couldn’t survive on today’s rates…

They still have some cranes and a couple of truck stops near girona…

Tubbysboy:

Limey:

Limey,

You are correct, Padrosa had several fodens I think they were all cat powered, but might by wrong,
They were based in figueras, and used to have a big depot in barcelona, they joined up / took over “catalan” who used to have a fleet of magnums painted green and yellow.

They (Padrosa) packed up 2 or 3 years ago as they couldn’t survive on today’s rates…

They still have some cranes and a couple of truck stops near girona…

On the ball again, for the second time this evening, Tubbysboy! Many thanks for clarifying that for us. From the evidence we have on this thread, you would be correct in thinking that they were probably CAT-powered IMHO.

The thick pottens! Robert

robert1952:
Here’s the LHD 4x2 version:

Hey Robert, nice technical sheets.
For the Europian market,do you know if some were sold in Europa.
Fodens were at the Brussels motorshow think between '69 '72 ■■?
But never have known if there were sold, and if the showmodels stayed here or not,
as the Atkinson/Krupp cabbed model.
They had a light blue and white livery.

Eric,

Since WW2 Foden was represented by S.A. ACEA (Autos, Camions Et Accessoires) from
34, Rue Guillaume Stocq in Ixelles-Brussels, somewhere I have an advertisement.

Scrolling through this thread again, the attached picture shows some Fodens ‘stored’ at the CDB-garage.

ERF-Continental:
Scrolling through this thread again, the attached picture shows some Fodens ‘stored’ at the CDB-garage.
That has to be in about the years 1979-1982. The business was not succesful with only a handful sold.

Without doubt these chassis had a ■■■■■■■ installed and the ‘inlet’ above the headlight is not present,
so that ‘feature’ had to do with Caterpillars installed like the Friderici’s show that inlet

hey ERF, yes some 4000 were sold in the '90’s I remember.
In the Nederlands I found Atkinson, Foden and some other were stronger on the market.
Britsh heavies were most Leyland and of course the Belgian AEC’s.
Mid '70’s came Bedford and Ford white their heavies, at that moment some other came to try our market.
As Barreiros, new injection by Van Hove for the Mack’s, Kenworth, Kamaz and a little time before Pegaso
which sold well for a time because of a good seller/dealer here in W VL, than disapeared for a shot time to come back some time later.

Eric,

Eric,

tiptop495:

robert1952:
Here’s the LHD 4x2 version:

Hey Robert, nice technical sheets.
For the Europian market,do you know if some were sold in Europa.
Fodens were at the Brussels motorshow think between '69 '72 ■■?
But never have known if there were sold, and if the showmodels stayed here or not,
as the Atkinson/Krupp cabbed model.
They had a light blue and white livery.

Eric,

I somehow omitted to mention that the ‘nice technical sheets’ had been sent to me by A-J some time ago. Cheers, Robert

ERF-Continental:
Since WW2 Foden was represented by S.A. ACEA (Autos, Camions Et Accessoires) from 34, Rue Guillaume Stocq
in Ixelles-Brussels, somewhere I have an advertisement…I will search for it later today.

Then possible we have a gap around the sixties/seventies and I recall something that Fodens themselves had a
stand on Brussels’ Show…but feel free to correct me on that one.

After ERF ‘left’ the Benelux around 1979 ■■■■■■■ Distributor Belgium (Ets. A. Denonville) represented Foden for
a short time (max 2 years) and sold only a handful chassis.

Then Eurocamions from Herselt (a company from Etn. Moorkens from Kontich-Edegem) took up the business.

So at least 4 importers handled Foden in Belgium. In Holland I remember only 2 importers/distributors. Dilham
from Deventer and Fodenway from Heelsum.

Attached some Dutch pages out of the CDB-brochure as well as an early picture of a Dutch chassis

Great detective work there A-J! The brochure is very interesting. I note that the full array of gearboxes is offered (as on the domestic range) including even the 9-speed Fuller! I wonder if any were supplied with it though. Glad to see you’ve solved the mystery of the stored white units at CDB too (and all ■■■■■■■■ you say). Robert

Thank you Robert! By the way…that brochure (4 pages, Dutch) is for sale at ebay, Walter Miller’s, where you
usually can find real gems on documentation for reasonable prices. He is also in for a swap by the way.

ebay.nl/itm/1979-1980-Foden- … 51a918c2b1

ERF-Continental:
Thank you Robert! By the way…that brochure (4 pages, Dutch) is for sale at ebay, Walter Miller’s, where you
usually can find real gems on documentation for reasonable prices. He is also in for a swap by the way.

ebay.nl/itm/1979-1980-Foden- … 51a918c2b1

Thanks for the tip, A-J. I have just purchased it! This brings my list to 9 - this is a little list I’ve been quietly keeping for a long time. It comprises off-the-peg British 4x2 tractive units with sleeper cabs and 9-speed Fullers, and includes: ERF NGC, ERF C-series, ERF MGC, Sed-Atki 400, Leyland Marathon, Leyland Roadtrain, Bedford TM, Ford Transcontinental and now the Foden 4000. Cheers! Robert

It’s my pleasure and do search on autolit.com for more gems or via ebay-walter miller.