LHD Bollekens cabbed Mk V AECs

Pictures No.3 and No.10 in this article show Bollekens-cabbed AECs at work. The piece was put on another thread by DEANB this morning! Robert

Sad to see the slating of unions on this thread, you only have to look around to see the state of our industry and others caused by legislation against them.That and immigration have caused the lot of the lorry driver to become worse now than it was in the 80’s and 90’s.
That’s not to say I’m against sleeper cabs I think they are great and cannot understand why BL didn’t have a good look at this cab as it must have been easy to fit and why didnt any UK haulage companies order some in right hand drive and re import them.
Steve.

From a 1965 AEC sales brochure posted on the Paul Gee thread today. Robert

pollystag:
… I think they are great and cannot understand why BL didn’t have a good look at this cab as it must have been easy to fit and why didnt any UK haulage companies order some in right hand drive and re import them.
Steve.

Leyland took AEC over in 1962, with its Ergomatic cab due for launch in 1964.There was only one winner there, but there was nothing to prevent AEC importing Bollekens cabs prior to the takeover. Maybe the earlier Bollekens cabs were not significantly superior to the British ones?

[zb]
anorak:

pollystag:
… I think they are great and cannot understand why BL didn’t have a good look at this cab as it must have been easy to fit and why didnt any UK haulage companies order some in right hand drive and re import them.
Steve.

Leyland took AEC over in 1962, with its Ergomatic cab due for launch in 1964.There was only one winner there, but there was nothing to prevent AEC importing Bollekens cabs prior to the takeover. Maybe the earlier Bollekens cabs were not significantly superior to the British ones?

More to do with the fact that sleeper cabs were not required in UK at that time, coupled with high import duties I would have thought. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

pollystag:
Steve.

More to do with the fact that sleeper cabs were not required in UK at that time, coupled with high import duties I would have thought. Robert

And the fact that AEC owned Park Royal coachbuilders, so why import when the company had an in-house cab building facility?

gingerfold:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

pollystag:
Steve.

And the fact that AEC owned Park Royal coachbuilders, so why import when the company had an in-house cab building facility?

:sunglasses: The main reason! Robert

Did the Bollekens cabbed AECs suffer the same overheating problems that the Ergo versions had or was the airflow better?

ERF-NGC-European:
From a 1965 AEC sales brochure posted on the Paul Gee thread today. Robert

I think i may have some stuff on these Robert,will have a look. :wink:

ramone:
Did the Bollekens cabbed AECs suffer the same overheating problems that the Ergo versions had or was the airflow better?

This thread is about the Mk AEC with the Bollekens cab, which pre-dated the overheating probs. Nonetheless, you will have spotted some Belgian Ergo-type cabs on here. It was the late Ergo with the newly developing V8 that suffered initial overheating probs so yes, it would be interesting to know if any such cabs were fitted to V8s and whether or not it made any difference to airflow. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

ramone:

This thread is about the Mk AEC with the Bollekens cab, which pre-dated the overheating probs. Nonetheless, you will have spotted some Belgian Ergo-type cabs on here. It was the late Ergo with the newly developing V8 that suffered initial overheating probs so yes, it would be interesting to know if any such cabs were fitted to V8s and whether or not it made any difference to airflow. Robert

The AV760 was also prone to overheating Robert apparently due to the airflow around the ergo cab .AEC did start fitting header tanks to the rear of the cabs to solve the problem , i don’t know if it dld completely. The Bollkens cab would have been a good alternative to the ergo but Leyland tied into a deal with Sankey probably wouldn’t see it that way

ramone:

ERF-NGC-European:

ramone:

The AV760 was also prone to overheating Robert apparently due to the airflow around the ergo cab .AEC did start fitting header tanks to the rear of the cabs to solve the problem , i don’t know if it dld completely. The Bollkens cab would have been a good alternative to the ergo but Leyland tied into a deal with Sankey probably wouldn’t see it that way

Hi Ramone,you will have no doubt read the comment on the James C Ashworth thread about Jack fitting header tanks behind the cabs before A E C did. Les.

ramone:

ERF-NGC-European:

ramone:

Thanks for that, Ramone! Robert

les-p:

ramone:

ERF-NGC-European:

ramone:

Hi Ramone,you will have no doubt read the comment on the James C Ashworth thread about Jack fitting header tanks behind the cabs before A E C did. Les.

Yeah i heard that from some of his old drivers , i heard he used an old fairy liquid bottle to start with , no expense spared eh

Click on page twice.

DEANB:

Click on page twice.

An interesting piece. It shows too how much was developed in the twelve years between '62 and '74 when we did have lorries ready for Europe. If AEC had followed ERF’s example just think what we could have had as we entered the EEC! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
“DEANB”]1962.

An interesting piece. It shows too how much was developed in the twelve years between '62 and '74 when we did have lorries ready for Europe. If AEC had followed ERF’s example just think what we could have had as we entered the EEC! Robert

I think it was down to bad management with most of the UK manufacturers Robert. Back in the 60’s we were the truck “powerhouse” of
the world in terms of where trucks were sold throughtout the world. Its incredible the sheer amount of trucks that were sold in the
60’s and the number of countries throughout the world they were exported to. But they never reinvested in development and machinery
etc to stay ahead.When you think that in 1960 Bedford were exporting to countries like Sweden it makes you realise how the whole of
the UK truck manufacturing surrendered there position as world leaders in terms of sales throughout the world.

Thanks Dean, for another great article.

It says that around 200bhp would be required for Continental operation. Did AEC not already supply engines of that output in 1962? I know other makers did.

[zb]
anorak:
Thanks Dean, for another great article.

It says that around 200bhp would be required for Continental operation. Did AEC not already supply engines of that output in 1962? I know other makers did.

Yes of course they did. The 2AV690 was rated at 192 bhp @ 2000 rpm. At old BS:AU ratings, which with the metric equivalent was 210 bhp. The Leyland Power Plus P.680 was similar in output, whilst the good old Gardner 6LX 150, was… what it said on the tin 150 bhp.