Left-Hand Drive EC-series ERFs

ERF-EC14-Spain.jpg

images.jpg

This LHD 6x4 is a bit of a one-off, I think: it had, I believe, a Sisu double-drive (6x4) bogie. Robert :slight_smile:

2757100989_8dc7b3202a_z.jpg

Why didn’t this truck sell better in Europe? Reading through that TRUCK magazine test of the LHD EC.520 which I posted earlier, a couple of points occur to me.

It was not the most frugal of trucks recently tested by the TRUCK team in '96, but it was still respectable for the period. Weight seemed to be a problem, as it was heavier than many of its rivals. This could be solved by buying a unit with the smaller 11-litre engine. However, most of these went to Spain after this article was published, and anyone who has driven lorries across Spain’s savage and unforgiving climbs will know just what a difference a 520 bhp motor makes. I’ve driven lorries across Spain with 330s in and 500s (and everything in between) and there’s no doubt that 500 horses simply iron out those hills.

Talking of hills, the testers greatly praise the EC for its agility of performance in the very hilly Ardennes of Belgium - an echo of the hill-climbing prowess of the ERF NGC two decades before. The testers were not very impressed, however with the ZF Ecosplit synchomesh gearbox installation. This is no surprise, given that previous ERFs had superbly-installed Fuller Range-Rangers or Eaton Twin-splitter constant-mesh 'boxes.

I’ve driven lots of ERF ECs on domestic work and I’ve always found them to be excellent lorries and I would quite happily have driven them abroad. But they ALL had Eaton Twin-splitters. These LHD ones didn’t and more is the pity. If the EU hadn’t thrown out the baby with the bathwater by outlawing what I believe to be the finest gearboxes in history, we might have had a real winner in the LHD EC. Sigh.

It seems that Western Star was no more capable than ERF of marketing this product in Europe. MAN faired even worse.

RIP ERF! But hey, chaps, let’s keep these marvellous threads going to stretch out the enjoyment of what we had a little longer. Robert :smiley:

By popular request (ahem…?!) I have some more delicious LHD ERF ECs for you. Robert :slight_smile:

750_707.jpg
2494757_1.jpg
2494757_3.jpg

OMG! Some more! Robert :smiley:

a;lskjdf.jpg

For my money I’d have chosen a LHD EC14, but the pre-Celect low-tech version, with the Olympic cab and a Fuller Road-Ranger 'box (preferably the 9-speed one). Perfect for me (THE DRIVER) but not necessarily the most economical option. Robert (retired) :smiley:

A brief trawl through cyber-space brings another brace of fish! Robert :slight_smile:

iviiiv.jpg

1460_2372519314.jpg

Robert,

Sorry to rain a bit on your ERF Spain parade. When I first moved to BCN about 12 year ago there where a few operators that had bought ERFs, I ended up driving for a few tipper firms here running as raised to the new runway in barcelona at night, transportes pastor had 5 or 6 of the ec 525 ones and indeed they were also the local ERF dealer.

The drivers absolutely hated them, apart from their top speed and the jake brake, which was fitted as standard. There was also another operator called “Alfredo” who also had a few of them and used to curse them to ground daily. The reason lots of Spanish bought them was that ERF Spain where practically giving them away… If I remember correctly about 40k would buy a full spec Olympic 525…

I was also approached when in madrid around 1997/98!ish by an ERF salesman… I had a strato at the time and the salesman was so happy that someone else had a ■■■■■■■ / fuller combination in Spain…

ERF also gave very good credit deals in Spain…

I always thought it was a bit sad that they tried so so hard to punt them out…especially as it was ERF and the uk truck makers were on their uppers… If they had tried it a few years earlier who knows what might have been…

Anyway still a good thread…

Ps. I was lucky as I had a nice newish scania with proper a/c and engine brake…so I used let the ■■■■■■■ flyers ■■■■ all over me while I was in comfort… :slight_smile:

Tubbysboy:
Robert,

Sorry to rain a bit on your ERF Spain parade. When I first moved to BCN about 12 year ago there where a few operators that had bought ERFs, I ended up driving for a few tipper firms here running as raised to the new runway in barcelona at night, transportes pastor had 5 or 6 of the ec 525 ones and indeed they were also the local ERF dealer.

The drivers absolutely hated them, apart from their top speed and the jake brake, which was fitted as standard. There was also another operator called “Alfredo” who also had a few of them and used to curse them to ground daily. The reason lots of Spanish bought them was that ERF Spain where practically giving them away… If I remember correctly about 40k would buy a full spec Olympic 525…

I was also approached when in madrid around 1997/98!ish by an ERF salesman… I had a strato at the time and the salesman was so happy that someone else had a ■■■■■■■ / fuller combination in Spain…

ERF also gave very good credit deals in Spain…

I always thought it was a bit sad that they tried so so hard to punt them out…especially as it was ERF and the uk truck makers were on their uppers… If they had tried it a few years earlier who knows what might have been…

Anyway still a good thread…

Ps. I was lucky as I had a nice newish scania with proper a/c and engine brake…so I used let the ■■■■■■■ flyers ■■■■ all over me while I was in comfort… :slight_smile:

What you say doesn’t surprise me! The Spanish didn’t really grow up with ERFs, so the rather dated (by then) EC cab would have dismayed them. I remember getting into an EC after driving a Eurostar and realising how dated the EC had become (even though both units shared the Twin-splitter!). Robert

Yes your right which a makes it the more of a shame really, as of course Spain had there lorry disasters as well, pegaso troner anyone ?

What always amazed me and still does is the Spanish fascination with mercs… After a scania I had a 2050 SK merc… The driver who had the scania wouldn’t talk to me for a while as he wanted his old merc back… I would have had the scania back in a flash as it had aircon!!! Mind you the merc did have a handy little switch on it…haha

Mind you now I think about it one of Alfredo’s drivers was called Schumacher as his old ERF used to do an extra load than the rest of us a night… He blamed the ERF…

Tubbysboy:
Yes your right which a makes it the more of a shame really, as of course Spain had there lorry disasters as well, pegaso troner anyone ?

What always amazed me and still does is the Spanish fascination with mercs… After a scania I had a 2050 SK merc… The driver who had the scania wouldn’t talk to me for a while as he wanted his old merc back… I would have had the scania back in a flash as it had aircon!!! Mind you the merc did have a handy little switch on it…haha

I agree that the 2050 SK Merc was dull fare (and boy did I hate that EPS box), but having driven one to Morocco and back across Spain, I have to say it did iron out those sharp mountains - and that’s what the Spanish like. Reliability might be a factor too. Robert

The thing is, I actually LIKED the dated ERF cab, and still do. I loved the B-series and the EC is a direct development from it. robert :slight_smile:

robert1952:

Tubbysboy:

I agree that the 2050 SK Merc was dull fare (and boy did I hate that EPS box), but having driven one to Morocco and back across Spain, I have to say it did iron out those sharp mountains - and that’s what the Spanish like. Reliability might be a factor too. Robert

Think the Spanish like reliability more…and bless the ■■■■■■■ ERF fuller combo…but they were / are? Extremely finickity… I had a few ■■■■■■■ lorries but although they would pull a house down, not so bad on squirt, I never had 100% confidence in them… Where as a poxy awful uncomfy gutless old merc would always get you home. A ■■■■■■■ needed constant attention… Injectors tuned / reset every 100 ish k…would then go like a train for 6 months or so… Think that was their biggest downfall, here at least, and the ERFs where so poorly assembled on top of it all… And big lack of parts pastor had a 525 off the road for 3 month waiting for bits to arrive… Meanwhile their old 1928 buckets of crap where still doing loads day and night…

Mind you all that said me old strato and me did used to ■■■■ pass most things up the somosierra…unfortunately have no fotos of the old thing, weren’t the prettiest but did used to move when it had too…

Tubbysboy:
Think the Spanish like reliability more…and bless the ■■■■■■■ ERF fuller combo…but they were / are? Extremely finickity… I had a few ■■■■■■■ lorries but although they would pull a house down, not so bad on squirt, I never had 100% confidence in them… Where as a poxy awful uncomfy gutless old merc would always get you home. A ■■■■■■■ needed constant attention… Injectors tuned / reset every 100 ish k…would then go like a train for 6 months or so… Think that was their biggest downfall, here at least, and the ERFs where so poorly assembled on top of it all… And big lack of parts pastor had a 525 off the road for 3 month waiting for bits to arrive… Meanwhile their old 1928 buckets of crap where still doing loads day and night…

Mind you all that said me old strato and me did used to ■■■■ pass most things up the somosierra…unfortunately have no fotos of the old thing, weren’t the prettiest but did used to move when it had too…

Somosierra soon sorted the sheep from the goats! I’ve driven a Strato abroad. What did you have under the cowl? Robert

It was originally a 350 14 lt ■■■■■■■■ but i took it to ■■■■■■■ in rainham after a couple of trips and they breathed some fire into it… Ended up around 430ish… Bit to much for the twin split behind it, ■■■■■■■ man did warn me, did I listen ? Of course not…12 months later new gearbox required…oops. Me old dad weren’t best pleased…

A LHD EC127 cab interior here: Detroit-powered Olympic 4x2 in Holland. Robert :slight_smile:

ERF EC127 4x2 LHD Olympic NL.jpg