Latest news and offers from Peter Smythe Transport Training

Hi Recently registered not sure if I would qualify for any of the discounts, accommodation offers as I am more interested in the PCV course. Just want it really for doing a bit of minibus voluntary work and if I take to it maybe look for paid work driving something bigger at a later date. Plus the satisfaction of passing. Plus to prove a point to the cowboys who run the Work Programme. Refused to help me because they claimed without experience driving larger vehicles they can’t justify the cost due to failure rate. I told them I doubt there is a difference in failure rates between those with previous experience and those without it but they wouldn’t have it!

Spoke to Aaron and he said the various offers all still apply. Doesn’t make that clear on this site which I suppose not surprising as it is a truckers site. But good to know.

Just a couple of queries:

1. Is PCV the same as LGV skill wise or are there differences between the two as I have seen a PCV course advertised by a reputable trainer for 10 days for novices?

2. Still waiting to sort out my provisional and do all the theory tests but was wondering if the retest insurance is a regular thing now or is it just a temporary offer?

3. In the event of a first failure how does the system work in practice? Do you pay extra for a few more hours training/pay for accommodation (if it was free during original course) and do the retest the following day or is it necessary to go away, book, say, a few hours training and come back when space is available?

Seems like the best place for me to train at so any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

P.S. Do you have any info/links/etc which would allow someone to familiarise themselves with the bus controls etc before training starts? Or maybe bus model I can look for a manufactures pdf with more details?

1. Is PCV the same as LGV skill wise or are there differences between the two as I have seen a PCV course advertised by a reputable trainer for 10 days for novices?

2. Still waiting to sort out my provisional and do all the theory tests but was wondering if the retest insurance is a regular thing now or is it just a temporary offer?

3. In the event of a first failure how does the system work in practice? Do you pay extra for a few more hours training/pay for accommodation (if it was free during original course) and do the retest the following day or is it necessary to go away, book, say, a few hours training and come back when space is available?

Seems like the best place for me to train at so any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

1. Yes, the skill set is very similar for both PCV and LGV. There are differences but not overly significant. I have no idea why a reputable trainer would take 10 days to train a driver; I am confident with the course we offer which has been proven to work for many years. We have the benefit of fully trained, qualified and registered instructors working from our purpose built training centre boasting it’s own private driving test centre. The advantages are huge.

2. The free retest offer is currently available. The offer will end at some point and may well be replaced with something else. But, if this is the offer that works for you, I strongly recommend you call the office and simply pay your £150 deposit. That secures the current offer regardless of when you take your training (within 12 months).

3. In the event of a fail, we offer you the next available test date. If that doesn’t suit you, we’ll carry on offering test dates until we find one that is ok for you. It’s impossible to retest the following day; the law dictates a break of at least 3 working days between tests. (This does include Saturdays). Extra training is rarely required and hardly ever taken. But, if you choose to have more for comfort, this is charged at 50% of the normal rate. So we’re not interested in profiting from anyone’s misfortune. Accommodation for retest is chargeable at cost, or we give you the contact to book direct.

The training vehicle is simplicity itself. It’s a typical service bus, built by Dennis and the model is Dart. There is nothing remotely complicated about it and, apart from being a bit on the cool side on a cold winter’s day, is perfect for the job. Fully auto (but will deliver a full manual licence assuming you hold a manual car licence).

All our training is discounted by 10% to Trucknet users but you must quote your Trucknet user name when booking.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for info Pete.

Many of you will know me as previously connected to Flair Training. 2 weeks ago my only son Stuart went to Mansfield to learn from scratch how to become a trainer.
I’ve known Pete and his methods for a while and sent Stu there. Also I hadn’t yet seen the new setup.
The course was nearly 2 weeks long and I popped up for part of the 2nd week to nosy about. It wasn’t good it was magnificent. I went out on a truck with Pete and Stu and didn’t interfere too much. Very impressive.
I think Pete was a bit glad to say goodbye to me as Stuart was nearing test time. He learnt Cat C Cat CE and Mod4.
Stuart taught a Mod4 and the guy got 100%
Today was his 1st real life test. A Cat C retest in Chelmsford. Artur passed with 6 faults and called me to say thanks.
Peter Smythe and his team are among the best there are. Thanks for everything.
Stuart has much to still learn but will get there.

Wow! :open_mouth:

Pete’s going to frame that coming from a fellow trainer! :grimacing:

Well done Pete! :smiley:

And best of luck to your son…

Brilliant. Hope Pete’s renovations included widening doorframes to fit his head through after all that! :laughing:

Congratulations to your son.

Thanks for the kind comments John. I have trained many instructors over the years and it’s always an interesting challenge. Congratulations to Stuart on passing all 3 tests to achieve registration; the learning will continue for many years.

But the process was made easier and more enjoyable by having volunteer “stooges” from Trucknet to participate in his training. This is something I’ve never done before but will be repeating. There are at least two more instructors in the pipeline so watch out as I ask for more volunteers!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Peter my house is bang on 70 miles away :unamused: If I booked up would the b&b offer stand?

Cheers

Matt

Yes. Just go round a roundabout twice on the way!

Here is an update of Stuart’s progress since he got back from Petes instructor training course last week. Last Friday on his 1st day as a trainer he took a Cat C retest up and saw a pass result. Sunday however was the real beginning, 2 new Cat C starters. We train 2 to 1 so he was out from 8-4. At 4pm on Sunday he then taught a CPC mod4 course for 2 guys.
On Tuesday 1 of the CPC students passed with 95% but yesterday was the real test. Johns test was at 9.45 and passed 1st time with 5 faults. At 1.30 the older candidate Paul also passed 1st time with 11 faults. Finally at 3pm the 2nd CPC guy also passed with 95%.

An incredible day for the start of Stuart’s new career and a very proud day for his old man who has been doing it for over 30 years. This post is not an advert for Flair training but it is most definately a big advert for Peter Smythe. The man is an LGV genius.

A big thanks for everything you have done.

Thanks John for such a glowing report. Great to hear that Stuart is doing so well and gratifying for me to receive texts with pictures of successful candidates as a result of his efforts. In an odd sort of way, I feel I can almost claim their passes for myself! Dreadful to train a trainer and never hear from them again - but this clearly wont be the case here.

For anyone reading, I’m looking for someone to train as a trainer to work at our new site at Lincoln which is opening in the next few weeks. Min requirement is 3 years CE. But self motivating characteristics are also vital. I’m equally happy to look at an experienced instructor looking to raise their game and join our team.

To receive more info, please send cv to info@petersmythe.co.uk

Good luck for the future Stuart.

Pete do you guys provide a lesson in real world reversing on class 1? And is it possible for taking your class 1 to count towards CPC?

austers:
Pete do you guys provide a lesson in real world reversing on class 1? And is it possible for taking your class 1 to count towards CPC?

Me not Peter but I reckon the answers are likely to be …

YES to the second Q

For the first Q I suspect you can have whatever you are willing to pay for

ROG:

austers:

YES to the second Q

How do you go about having your class 1 counting towards CPC?

austers:

ROG:

austers:

YES to the second Q

How do you go about having your class 1 counting towards CPC?

The training provider has the practical LGV on road courses approved for DCPC hours - not many do so it pays to ASK

DCPC hours example with test on day 4
1 to 1 training over 4 half days = 7 hours for 1 trainee
2 to 1 training over 4 full days = 21 hours for each trainee

Yes and Yes.

As we operate on a 1:1 basis, you would normally get either 7 hour 14 hours driver cpc from CE training.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Peter
I’ve got a deposit with you for class 2 training…does that qualify for CPC hours?? If so how many??
Thanks Peter

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

pbc453:
Hi Peter
I’ve got a deposit with you for class 2 training…does that qualify for CPC hours?? If so how many??
Thanks Peter

Do you already have LGV C1 on your licence either from a pre 1997 car test or by passing a test :question:

ROG:

pbc453:
Hi Peter
Thanks Peter

Do you already have LGV C1 on your licence either from a pre 1997 car test or by passing a test :question:

Hi Rog
Passed my test 1980 so got 7.5t rights.

pbc453:

ROG:

pbc453:
Hi Peter
Thanks Peter

Hi Rog
Passed my test 1980 so got 7.5t rights.

In that case using a provider such as PS means you can get DCPC hours on both the C and CE courses

If you get 14 hours from each and then do a 7 hours tacho rule course = 35 hours done and a DQC for 5 years will be issued