Kaye Goodfellow Manchester

I have been given a selection of old pictures taken by an ex Kaye Goodfellow driver.

KG2-1.jpg
The picture above of ‘BIG Goody’ as it was known,

At first glance what looks like just any old “truck passing by” this picture is not all what it seems!

crikey !,the locals must have had a close shave :open_mouth:

hi my dad worked for goodys for quite a while driving a big j 8 wheelerthen rnb 721j twin steer s60 foden . the scammell crusader was nt with goody that long as it was sold on to heanor haulage . the same goes for big goody mvg 90h was ex pointer group and a seddon atki 400 svg94r with 240 gardner was also ex pointers i have some pictures of some of there motors if i can send them to someone who can upload them on here . ive also got a s80 6x4 tractor thats going to be restored in goodys colours . may i also point out that the steel cab 6x4 fodens are s41 s not s40 s . as they had 240 gardners in them and you can tell them apart by the big snouts on them . hope this is of intrest .

Hi
Does anyone remember a chap by the name of Barry Scacy ? He used to drive for K Goodys at Wrexham and lived for a short time at The Five Crosses pub at Coedpoeth. He also did ME work for Jones Acrifair on tankers.

Regards Keith.

At first glance this looks like any normal picture of a lorry climbing a steep hill.

But on closer inspection you will see that three of the cable drums have rolled off the rear of the trailer and finished up embedded in the houses along with wrecking a car down the hill on the right.

The vehicle involved was Foden S21 tractor unit Reg No ENE 997D coupled to a forty foot trailer which was operated by Kaye Goodfellow of Manchester.

Driven by Dicky Smith he was travelling up Georgetown Hill in Merthyr Tydfil in 1969 when three BICC cable drums broke free and rolled off the back of the trailer.

At least it gave the locals a bit of excitement on what would have just been any other mundane day down in the valley.

Great picture Paul,I’ll bet driver was excited as well as t’locals. :laughing:
That location looks familiar but can’t think where it is.

hello to all.
the location of the lost load off kayes foden is georgetown hill in merthyr tydfil south wales,the most probable place he was heading for would have been the STAR BRICK & TILE CO, hope this has helped.
regards gah1950.

Hiya …Fodens41…you don’t knom me.I have sat and looked at many of those trucks for hours.I loaded out of Johnson and Nephew and as
you know Goodfellows was just across the road. Belive me there was plenty of time to look around waiting for a load of wire.
Paul do you remember that halfcab shunter that Joesph Hoyle had it looked like a Foden but was Seddon chassis with a Foden cab
any plenty of bits from here and their. Paul if you look on the Scrapbook site near the bottom of page 100 i’ve put a photo of a yellow ERF
check the number plate…Has anyone out there go any photo’s of Poplar transport Fodens.
Are you going to Llandudno 1st may.if not see you at Smallwood.
John.

moomooland:

Above

What looks like just any old “truck passing by” picture is not all what it seems!

Take a closer look HERE if you cant spot what’s going on.

Regards Paul Northwest Trucks

Hullo Moomooland,
Now that really is what is known as multi dropping eh?
Cheers, Archie.

Archie Paice:

moomooland:

Above

What looks like just any old “truck passing by” picture is not all what it seems!

Take a closer look HERE if you cant spot what’s going on.

Regards Paul Northwest Trucks

Hullo Moomooland,
Now that really is what is known as multi dropping eh?
nice drops them 1at no 22 … 1at no 24… 1at no …28…if that had been my run it would be 1 at no2… 1 at no32… and 1 at no 17 or possibly 1 1/2 at no 17.
great photo joking aside.
John

Thank you for all the comments. :slight_smile:

An S70 Foden which was one of three they operated out of Manchester depot.

hello moomooland.
the hill is definately at george town merthyr tydfil,the A470 used to run past the bottom of the hill before the extention was made in the mid ninties.its a funny thing i recognised that photo at once because it was featured in our local weekly paper a few months ago among other old merthyr tydfil photographs.
regards gah1950.

hello moomooland.
i am sorry i didnt read your reply thourougly,google would not tell you any thing about that area as there was a mass demolition programme around there in the 60s70s&80s there is very little left of georgetown as it once was.
regards graham.

S70.jpgOne of Kaye Goodfellow’s S70 Foden’s which was one of three they operated out of Manchester depot.
Foden only built 17 of these S70 twin-steer ‘Chinese Six’ tractor units in the early 1970’s.
They were powered by Gardner 8LXB-240 straight eight engines in line with Foden 12-speed gearboxes.

I ve just looked at the Merthyr Tydfil map, i did’nt realize till i studdied the map i loaded bricks from the top of the hill that would be 1979,
and can still remember the delivery address it was that Canal bridge on Leabrook road Wednesbury.
Thinking back at the bottom of that hill by the river in Merthyr was a lorry park and was always full by 5 pm.Across the road was a pub that looked after us very well.
John

hello paul.
yes the image on the google map is the hill known now as s o davies after a labour m p that represented the merthyr borough back in the 70s,if you look hard at the top of the picture you can make out a large white mound now that was a tip called the great white tip it was left after the iron works that was once in dowlais,if you look at the bottom of the picture you will see the front half of a wagon emerging now that was the old a470 that run through merthyr and onwards to brecon.i hope this has helped you with your query.
regards graham.